Player Discussion Jakub Nakladal

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Good on the Flames for turning over every rock. I only know his name (which I cannot pronounce). Hopefully he turns into something, if not, oh well. Welcome to the Flames!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I am personally taking this as a sign that Eric Roy will not be signed by the Flames.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Yes because choosing to wear the number of your birth year on the back is apparently cancerous and everyone all over the world have to be aware that number is for saints only.

latest

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Josh Jooris 86 Sam Bennett 63 Markus Granlund 60

On a side not, isn't Sams real number 93?

Yeah, that's what management wants it to be, though. A number <35 means you're a full-time player who earned a spot on the opening-day roster. A number >35 means you aren't there yet and you still have to prove you belong.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't understand why we wouldn't sign him. He played good and put up some great numbers in the playoffs this year
Great numbers as an overage player on the best offensive team in the WHL. What tells me alot is that he wasn't good enough to be a top pairing defenseman as an overager. Roy's defense is non-existent.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
2nd pairing defenseman in Stockton, you heard it here first boys. Makes no sense whatsoever on his part. But, have fun with that, I guess.

Depending on the structure of his contract, he wouldn't be making much different money than he would in Liiga. Might actually be more in the AHL, and definitely more if he sticks in the NHL. Big potential reward on his part. Even if he only sticks in the NHL for a combined 10 games on the ice/in the pressbox, it'll be financially worth the switch.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I remember a high-scoring D in junior that went unsigned after being drafted late. The knock on him was he was very limited defensively and wouldn't work out at the NHL level. That player was even an invite at a Flames rookie camp prior to signing his first pro contract elsewhere.

His name was Dennis Wideman.

I think with a player like Roy with a high level of ability in a certain area, you have to sign and see what you can make of him with him in your pro system every day for 3 years.

As far as this signing, from what I've read from others across the forum, I'm not going to expect much more than an AHL blueliner but some think he might play better on the smaller ice surface.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I remember a high-scoring D in junior that went unsigned after being drafted late. The knock on him was he was very limited defensively and wouldn't work out at the NHL level. That player was even an invite at a Flames rookie camp prior to signing his first pro contract elsewhere.

His name was Dennis Wideman.

I think with a player like Roy with a high level of ability in a certain area, you have to sign and see what you can make of him with him in your pro system every day for 3 years.

As far as this signing, from what I've read from others across the forum, I'm not going to expect much more than an AHL blueliner but some think he might play better on the smaller ice surface.

Interesting point for sure, however Roy lacks any elite offensive weapons and is merely quite good overall. Wideman I would argue had a cannon of a shot as well as great vision (and still does).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fleury14, you are overrating Roy's abilities in comparing him to Wideman.

Wideman was more than a point per game and the top scoring defenseman on his team by 30 points. Roy was 3rd on his team among defensemen in scoring and wasn't even top 10 on his team in scoring. Big numbers on a team that scored as much as Brandon is nothing special. Plus his defensive ability is much much worse than Wideman's ever was.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thing is, who's Roy behind? Wotherspoon, Morrison, Sieloff, Hickey, Kulak, Kanzig. I think he's behind Rafikov, Mattson and Ramage too. He may be on par with Gilmour.

Mattson is in Europe next year, Hickey and Gilmour are probably back in college. So in Stockton you will likely have Nakladal, Morrison, Sieloff, Ramage, Kulak and Kanzig, possibly Wotherspoon and maybe one other surprise player. Sure you can play Roy in the ECHL, but then you have to decide if he's worth using a contract on. As 100TG stated, signing Nakladal is going to make it very tight in Stockton.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Thing is, who's Roy behind? Wotherspoon, Morrison, Sieloff, Hickey, Kulak, Kanzig. I think he's behind Rafikov, Mattson and Ramage too. He may be on par with Gilmour.

Mattson is in Europe next year, Hickey and Gilmour are probably back in college. So in Stockton you will likely have Nakladal, Morrison, Sieloff, Ramage, Kulak and Kanzig, possibly Wotherspoon and maybe one other surprise player. Sure you can play Roy in the ECHL, but then you have to decide if he's worth using a contract on. As 100TG stated, signing Nakladal is going to make it very tight in Stockton.

That's my biggest concern. Roy is unimpressive enough that I don't think he's worth losing the flexibility in terms of Flames contracts. Through four seasons in the WHL his offensive production has remained stagnant, he hasn't improved defensively, and his skating isn't particularly good. If he had NHL-level tools, he should've seen noticeable improvement in some aspect of his play by now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Gilmour IMO is clearly ahead of Roy. I think Roy is by far the lowest on the defense totem pole.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Treliving with some intellectual honesty:

[fieldset=Brad Treliving]We think there’s upside here, but to us the risk-reward factor we felt when we analyzed it favours upside without a great deal of risk. We’ll see. We think this is a smart, sensible signing with upside in a position that we want to continue to build and add depth.[/fieldset]

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Treliving could make the dumbest move and still make me think it was a great decision :laugh: (not that he wouldn't).

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Treliving busting out his best Feasterese for that one :laugh:

I disagree. I've translated to Feasterese:

We think Nakladal is a future NHL star; to us the risk-reward factor we felt when we analyzed it was huge upside without any risk. We think this is pretty much the best signing of all time. Best defenseman not in the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I disagree. I've translated to Feasterese:

We think Nakladal is a future NHL star; to us the risk-reward factor we felt when we analyzed it was huge upside without any risk. We think this is pretty much the best signing of all time. Best defenseman not in the NHL.
you forgot to say he will be a #1 centre in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad