Confirmed with Link: Jakub Jerabek for 2019 fifth round pick

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
You're assuming GMBM has the option to change coaches. I have long thought its Patrick's influence that kept the status quo. Thats not about to change now. So GMBM is doing what HE can to alter the future. I think he's doing a great job....

Like I said, I see at least one more deal coming. Perhaps 2. Both will probably be bigger than these first 2.
I don't doubt that MacLellan doesn't have that power but, again, it's not a sign of a well-run organization to have these levels of power dysfunction and fundamental disconnects. It's hard to say that he's doing a great job by value spending his way out of their issues, particularly if their tactics don't evolve at all and there's a continued lack of accountability. If Trotz doesn't share his concerns then will he also be forced to spend yet more futures to give Orpik off the roster entirely (since otherwise Trotz would play him)?

You can put Duncan Keith back there and the options presented to him won't be any better so I think there's a fair degree of wishful thinking involved in these moves. Not that they've necessarily hurt themselves here but it seems like they're misdiagnosing the problem and kind of lazily believing in the most convenient solution possible (ie. swapping out parts and not the fundamental execution itself from top to bottom). More mobility will help them get back quicker and at times skate it out but breakouts IMO will remain an issue regardless of these two moves. If Mac as a GM can't get his coach--even if he doesn't actually want him--to enact particular improvements in their game then is he really the manager to lead them? It's not exactly a recent development that he's disagreed with Trotz and even if it is a forced marriage he as a GM should have tools in his arsenal to measure progress within their game and maintain accountability.

There's a real accountability issue when it comes to these areas most of all because it really isn't just 44/22 that have struggled. Only three players have a CF% over 50 this month. Only Vrana has a FF% over 50. Orlov (17) and Carlson/Niskanen (16) have been on the ice for the most goals against. They can try shaking up the pairings but I'm not sure it matters much if they continue to just try to play an easy game and nothing more.

Reactions: Hivemind

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Yeah, it seems simple enough to say 'We don't have the personnel to execute a fast transition game'. I'm seeing Niskanen/Orlov/Kuznetsov/Vrana/Oshie fivesome trying to move the puck up ice and they look completely inept. This should not be the case.

The only D-pair that looks even remotely competent in transition is Carlson/Djoos and they get broken up at the first sign of... just about anything. That Carlson/Orpik pairing is bad enough to cause hemorrhoids.

I can't believe we are 3/4 of the season in and Bowey still hasn't seen any time away from that *************** boat anchor. You couldn't make life any harder for a rookie defenseman even if you tried.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes you could.....Bowey could be paired with Chorney all year.

I like the pickup. I feel one forward deal coming, but I do think it will be big.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
GMBM got 2 modern type defenders for peanuts. While not restricting himself on next years cap. Things might get better.

If GMBM manages to move Orpik - he will position the Caps to be in good shape from roster POV next season. That can save him his job.

Trotz or not - I think it's a step forward.

Also, I've stated I think Djoos should be traded one day. He's weak, slow (not fast), small and you can't change that. We need a better player with more PK capabilities (and both guys we traded for seems to be better in that department). I like it.

Eskobar

Sep 28, 2016
So which one of the newly acquired defensemen is considered to be the better player? Kempny cost us more.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Another puck moving dman that doesn't hit or play defence very well. Not sure this helps us. Getting out of our zone has been an issue but some of the responsibility is on the forwards.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Habs fan here. I think Jerabek will do well with you guys. Good low risk gamble. He was probably our 4th best defenseman after Weber, Petry, and Mete (not that that means much :laugh:)

Also I love the Full of Hell avatar @Langway :yo:

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
They both sound better than Chorney, thats for sure.

I think they will deal Orpik and some significant assets to get one of the well known wingers that's available. Kane or Pacioretty. I feel it....

Orpik/Siegenthaler/Burakovsky/1st for Pacioretty

Bowey for Hjalmarsson.
Woah there, I'm all for getting Orpik away from here, but I'm not comfortable giving up a 1st, Bura AND Siegs to get MaxPac.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Someone already made it their avatar. :D

With that said, I hope this Jerabek doesn't speak much English. It'll be easier that way.
You rang?

Both trades seem low risk but I'm not expecting much. Just because they're puck movers doesn't mean we're suddenly a better team. I mean we traded for the ultimate puck mover last year and it was pointless. Nothing will change unless the philosophy changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad