Player Discussion Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson - II - Signing in the Swedish Hockey League

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't think the myth is that grinders raise their game.

The belief is that the playoffs are tight checking where every puck is contested and grinders are more suited to that style of game.

I don't think it applies to star caliber players but if you're making a lineup and you have a choice between a Donato type, someone skilled but who loses all of his battles and a Wagner type, someone not nearly as skilled but who will win most of those battles, coach will choose the guy who wins the battles.

Great post, not sure you can teach a guy to play big, physical, it`s a state of mind and commitment is needed

Possibly not the greatest comp but Wheeler was absolutely Charmin soft when he was a Bruin and a few years after traded but now? While hardly a bruiser, he uses that big body when needed, something clicked within him, always had the offensive talent but he committed to playing with an edge that was non-existent while in a B`s uni

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Schaller was that bad he got healthy scratched. Just couldn't keep up to the increased pace of the playoffs.

I was actually surprised how bad Acciari and Kuraly were after a fine showing together in the 2017 playoffs vs. Ottawa.

If what they did last year was considered "doing their jobs" this team is going nowhere.

Schaller played 11/12 games and went straight to surgery after the season was done.

The 4th line did their job. They played physical, chipped in a little offense ( combined for 8 points in 12 games ), and were on the right side of the scoring. I think your expectations of a 4th line are just a bit extreme if you expect more than that.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The belief is that the playoffs are tight checking where every puck is contested and grinders are more suited to that style of game.

I don't think it applies to star caliber players but if you're making a lineup and you have a choice between a Donato type, someone skilled but who loses all of his battles and a Wagner type, someone not nearly as skilled but who will win most of those battles, coach will choose the guy who wins the battles.

The myth is that is it is automatic that every grinder-type player will be effective in the playoffs. Some will, some won't. I don't dispute that playing a heavier grinder-type game is more applicable to playoff games.

I think style of play is irrelevant, many players raise their game when the stakes are high and many players are no where to be seen. Mental toughness is more important than physical toughness or 'heavy play'.

Reactions: BruinDust

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Are we going for participation awards now?

Tampa has JT Miller centering their 3rd line, Toronto has a 30 goal scoring uber *****e centering theirs. I don't think we can expect to win (or even be competitive in) those matchups without an impact 3c of our own.

he seems to be improving and I don't see any 30 goal centers available. We could always look for a Riley Nash type again, not. By all means if Sweeney can upgrade big, be my guest but I don't see it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think style of play is irrelevant, many players raise their game when the stakes are high and many players are no where to be seen. Mental toughness is more important than physical toughness or 'heavy play'.
I agree for the most part. I mean, I think you have to have a certain minimum ability to battle so you're not just turning the puck over every shift, but once you have that it becomes about mental toughness and compete level.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Totally agree.

How bad does the player want it matter more than anything else.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Great post, not sure you can teach a guy to play big, physical, it`s a state of mind and commitment is needed

Possibly not the greatest comp but Wheeler was absolutely Charmin soft when he was a Bruin and a few years after traded but now? While hardly a bruiser, he uses that big body when needed, something clicked within him, always had the offensive talent but he committed to playing with an edge that was non-existent while in a B`s uni
Maybe it was just experience/confidence/taking on a larger role.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
As long as we aren't replacing them with a rental or a 30+ year old on the way out of his prime, I'm ok with it.

I think even with those improvements, this isn't the team to bet on just yet. Rather save the assets and mae a big splash than waste it on half-assed deadline deals.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Schenn would be ideal. I don't think he'd cost any of those three guys you mentioned, but he still might be too expensive.

Coyle is my next choice. He's got size and skill, he can play heavy and could get a boost from coming home. Even if he doesn't (get a boost), his career numbers are very comparable to JT Miller...

Miller - 18g 26a 130 hits 39 takeaways
Coyle - 16g 26a 115 hits 33 takeaways

They just traded Nino for Rask so I think we could get him for JFK, maybe JFK and a mid round pick. According to their board, bringing in Rask and Aberg was a prelude to moving out Coyle. They can put JFK with Greenway. We can put Coyle with Heinen.

Coyle is a good fit, but I don't see MN selling while they occupy a playoff spot.

Schenn is probably richer than we need for a 3rd line C. Although he would have the ability to slide up and play 2nd line RW as well. I wonder why the Blues would trade him though. He is still young enough to have good years with their up and coming core.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Maybe it was just experience/confidence/taking on a larger role.

I`m not too sure about that, while I certainly have never played at this level, I played enough hockey over my time where I`ve played alongside guys with confidence to burn who were softer than butter, for me, to play with grit, toughness, willingness to stand in there and take some pounding is a mindset.

I hate the guy but you look at Gallagher, guy is smaller than my thumb, takes a beating nightly, gets back up, and does it again, can`t teach it IMO and confidence has nothing to do with it IMO

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I`m not too sure about that, while I certainly have never played at this level, I played enough hockey over my time where I`ve played alongside guys with confidence to burn who were softer than butter, for me, to play with grit, toughness, willingness to stand in there and take some pounding is a mindset.

I hate the guy but you look at Gallagher, guy is smaller than my thumb, takes a beating nightly, gets back up, and does it again, can`t teach it IMO and confidence has nothing to do with it IMO
I'm not fully disagreeing with you, but didn't you just say he DIDN'T play that way on the Bruins, but is now playing that way on the Jets? Or did I misread your post and you weren't talking about Wheeler anymore? I was just trying to guess where the change came from, not just changing the uniform.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
this seems obvious to me. is this guy hurt or struggling in the AHL or something? the Bruins could at least pretend that they aren't desperate for a third-line center.

359lh7k.jpg

edit: I failed to update the goaltenders' numbers, but it should be Rask 90 and Halak 92.

Last edited:
Reactions: missingchicklet

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
complex overall relative player output ratings for the season through last night. Frederic is not the answer, but why is he holding the spot Forsbacka Karlsson could have in the meantime?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
this seems obvious to me. is this guy hurt or struggling in the AHL or something? the Bruins could at least pretend that they aren't desperate for a third-line center.

359lh7k.jpg

edit: I failed to update the goaltenders' numbers, but it should be Rask 90 and Halak 92.

He's currently hurt. I don't understand this thing you came up with though.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011

Wheeler was an offsides machine as well, was so frustrating!

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston

359lh7k.jpg

Conor Clifton is a 96????? Lol

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

359lh7k.jpg

Brilliant! Can't wait for JFK to return.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Seems like a good decision, he might have been rushed in a little bit. I still think this guy could be a good middle 6 C, 3rd line more likely. Studnicka and Frederic should be getting top minutes in Providence next season.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
REALLY not a fan with what I've seen, although I don't know a lot about Providence relative to most on here. Just seemed far too passive and weak when he was up here. I guess it'll come in time but no concerns on my part if he goes back to Sweden.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad