Jake Voracek

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Jake still had 11 points in 11 games last year to start the season....and 14 points in his 1st 13 games.

Hell he had 38 points in his 1st 41 games last year too.

Doing it all season needs to happen.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can see the second and 3rd efforts and backchecking he was lazy last year compared to this year. A great thing.

Yep. I think he may have resisted the scheme last year and wasn't interested in cycling back or backchecking, when he didn't have the puck he seemed kinda disinterested.

This year he's playing without the puck and is unhappy when he's out of position and takes responsibility for defensive lapses.

Reactions: hatcher

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Jake still had 11 points in 11 games last year to start the season....and 14 points in his 1st 13 games.

Hell he had 38 points in his 1st 41 games last year too.

Doing it all season needs to happen.

Good point.

Jan and Feb everyones production dried up though. It was team wide.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The Sharks listen to too much RHCP.

tumblr_ln3u15D7Mc1qd2u1xo1_500.gif
OMG I haven't thought about this band or this video in years. Not a huge fan and this video was just so weird. I prefer Weird Al's version (both the video and the song).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you though Voracek was the same player the last two years, and it's just his linemates holding him back, you're watching a different team than what I've, and a number of other posters, have been watching.

He's not even the same player with the puck, he's not holding it as long, he's looking to shoot or pass more and skate less.

But it's when he doesn't have the puck where the difference is glaring, he's far more engaged as a backchecker and is going into corners, chasing pucks, whereas he was always strong with the puck, he wasn't as willing to do the dirty work (of course, when he had Raffl on his wing instead of Giroux, he could let the serf till the field).

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Voracek's problem was never intensity...

What the **** am I reading?

Yet another wildly incorrect "observation".

It's a ridiculous assertion that looks a lot like people trying to find a simple cause to a complicated issue. Jake didn't change up his play and start checking harder all of a sudden. He always played like that. His down in production follows suit with the other 4 players on the ice and the team as a whole.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's a ridiculous assertion that looks a lot like people trying to find a simple cause to a complicated issue. Jake didn't change up his play and start checking harder all of a sudden. He always played like that. His down in production follows suit with the other 4 players on the ice and the team as a whole.
Yep, typical lazy "analysis". If someone isn't playing well then clearly it's an effort issue.

Players can't possibly have ups and downs that are out of their conscious control, right? Plus, it's not like there's any luck involved in hockey... or team issues that effect individuals?

Nah, Voracek wasn't producing because he wasn't intense enough. He didn't feel like it. That's it. Sure. :laugh:

More often than not, the issue we've seen with guys like Giroux and Voracek is that they get in a slump and then try too hard, forcing plays and trying to do too much, which then causes other issues. That's why so often a player finally gets one goal to end a slump and the floodgates open, because they can take a breath and relax.

Reactions: BringBackBerube

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
IMO he has lapses in his focus more than anything. We see it when he goes through stretches of entering the zone and skating the puck into the opposing players. His hustle and effort are generally always there, to my eyes at least.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would also add, one of the issues the past few years is that no one else they play with helps them.(Gand Jake)

It's hard when you have 2 pass 1st guys on the same line and no shooter. Lots of passes have been squandered thru the years.

Reality is, G is our best passer. And Voracek can't shoot to well. Not an ideal match really.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think you are right. Two things that really have a big impact are injuries and confidence. Even the most talented and determined players can struggle because of certain injuries that rob them of what helped make them NHLers and that in turn can affect their confidence and it can snowball. The best coaches have a good feel for how to get certain players going again and minimize the downturn.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Voracek is not playing much differently at all than he did last season. He's just producing now and his line is clicking.

I can't see how anyone could say he wasn't playing hard last season. Effort has never been an issue with Jake

Yeah, he has people to pass to now. A lot of his turnovers last year came from him trying to force a puck to Giroux who, due to gimping, was not able to make separation.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
G showed his wrist shot was pretty good against the Leafs.
If this is in response to me, yes he did. My point was that for Jake, his best shooter the last few years, is our best passer....Giroux.

I think we all would agree that we lack legit shooters that could have helped G and Jake thru slumps by converting on their passes.

That's all I meant.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A lot of his turnovers came from holding the puck too long, skating in circles.
He's making better decisions this year.
And what's your excuse for his mediocre 2015-16 season?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
15-16 was a fluky year. He suffered a bad injury late which derailed his point/game pace over the middle 30+ games, after having a crazily unlucky statistical season in terms of shooting % and whatnot. Sort of like Ghost last year.

16-17 was a good start, disaster finish. He was physically OK, but team issues blended into his own performance issues, plus his metrics dipped. It wasn't terribly encouraging, but the team-wide issues provided an excuse, and he did look fine physically. He had a lot to prove this year.

Right now, he looks vintage. Hopefully he's out of the woods.

Oh, and lack of intensity played a big role.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Liability on PP1.

King of Brain Farts.

Replaceable.

Hurry up and trade him.

I found a thread from last year when searching Voracek that suggested cutting bait with Giroux, Voracek, and Simmonds.:laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I was looking back at the last week of the regular season, and came across this important goal, which was Voracek's 20th.

"That's just a great shot, it did not rise up on the stick. That is one heck of a snipe by Jake Voracek."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad