Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He’s getting 4 million dollars and I’m sure not many teams wanna deal with that so his trade value is nil. God this off-season sucks

He is not getting $4M. Kapanen's 20+24=44 and utility on the PK got him $3.2M x 3 last summer and I doubt that Virtanen can jump that AAV hurdle in arbitration.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
If the arbitration award is too much for the Nucks do they have to sign him?

$4,538,958 is the walk away number. Anything under that and the Canucks have to sign him.

He's not getting $4.5M, so yes the Canucks will have to sign whatever the arbitration award is.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Alright, Virtanen is good but I'm not paying for more than 4M. And 3.5M is something I would have to think about, because even though he's a valuable spark plug to have on the 3rd line we also have Leivo/Gaudette and I think Lind should get a chance soon.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
He is not getting $4M. Kapanen's 20+24=44 and utility on the PK got him $3.2M x 3 last summer and I doubt that Virtanen can jump that AAV hurdle in arbitration.
Using this comparable, I'd expect JV to come in anywhere from 2.5M to 3M. He doesn't PK for us but production is usually worth something in the NHL so it shouldn't be far off what Kapanen got. And that's fine with me - I've been advocating he be used in our top 6 anyway with PP time and I expect him to more than justify what he'll be paid.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You don't know hockey. Virtanen is the reason we won game 5 and turned the momentum in the series. Re-watch the game bud, we don't have a player in the bottom 6 that could have done what he did. Step onto the top line and spark them.

Bud bud bud.

With that logic we would still be paying Cowan 5mil per.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
You don't know hockey. Virtanen is the reason we won game 5 and turned the momentum in the series. Re-watch the game bud, we don't have a player in the bottom 6 that could have done what he did. Step onto the top line and spark them.

Bud bud bud.

With that logic we would still be paying Cowan 5mil per.
C9DF1FDB-E728-4F8A-A47E-E1FC665D89DE.gif

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
There is no way we can beat the AAV he'll get with the arbitration. We can offer more term than arbitration can. An extra year in exchange for avoiding a potentially dangerous arbitration could be our best bet.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Using this comparable, I'd expect JV to come in anywhere from 2.5M to 3M. He doesn't PK for us but production is usually worth something in the NHL so it shouldn't be far off what Kapanen got. And that's fine with me - I've been advocating he be used in our top 6 anyway with PP time and I expect him to more than justify what he'll be paid.

If they sign him without arbitration it'll probably be a two-year deal and I'd guess an AAV of a little under $3M. But grind him for every dollar; he doesn't deserve any favours and they can't afford to play nice in negotiations anyway.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If they sign him without arbitration it'll probably be a two-year deal and I'd guess an AAV of a little under $3M. But grind him for every dollar; he doesn't deserve any favours and they can't afford to play nice in negotiations anyway.
Under? Look what Josh Anderson got. Look what konecny got.

It’ll be north of $3m

Reactions: lawrence

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Under? Look what Josh Anderson got. Look what konecny got.

It’ll be north of $3m

I don't see what Konecny's 41 ES points in 82 games (.50 ESPPG) at age 21 have to do with Virtanen's 27 ES points in 69 games (.38 ESPPG) at age 23, especially given that Konecny signed at a more favourable time. Not remotely comparable players. Almost everyone is surprised at the Anderson contract, it's a one-off and also six of the seven seasons are UFA years. Should also be noted that Anderson scored a single goal on 63 shots last season so his year was a combo of injury and incredibly low shooting %. He had been a rising player who contributes in more ways than Virtanen.

Kapanen scored ES points at a .50 rate and contributed as a PKer in the season prior to signing for $3.2M x 3.

If Jake's looking for more than $3M, I'd say: see you in arbitration and we won't be pulling any punches. Shortened season, high escrow and salary deferral; enjoy that one-year deal, pal, and if you are awarded a two-year deal there's no backloading available via arbitration to lessen the escrow/deferral hit nor to increase your QO when that contract expires.

His aagent said 2 x 2.6 to 3 is what their looking for

I hadn't heard/read this, but if true a deal should be reached fairly easily. Is there a link to the source?

Reactions: THE Green Man

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I don't see what Konecny's 41 ES points in 82 games (.50 ESPPG) at age 21 have to do with Virtanen's 27 ES points in 69 games (.38 ESPPG) at age 23, especially given that Konecny signed at a more favourable time. Not remotely comparable players. Almost everyone is surprised at the Anderson contract, it's a one-off and also six of the seven seasons are UFA years. Should also be noted that Anderson scored a single goal on 63 shots last season so his year was a combo of injury and incredibly low shooting %. He had been a rising player who contributes in more ways than Virtanen.

Kapanen scored ES points at a .50 rate and contributed as a PKer in the season prior to signing for $3.2M x 3.

If Jake's looking for more than $3M, I'd say: see you in arbitration and we won't be pulling any punches. Shortened season, high escrow and salary deferral; enjoy that one-year deal, pal, and if you are awarded a two-year deal there's no backloading available via arbitration to lessen the escrow/deferral hit nor to increase your QO when that contract expires.

I hadn't heard/read this, but if true a deal should be reached fairly easily. Is there a link to the source?
24/25/82 is not much more than 18/18/69. Virtanen has a good arbitration case.

P/60 as some have been known to use I’d guess favours Jake too. Also usage.

Obviously the cheaper the better but I think he’s got a good case.

I also think you overestimate the abilities in arbitration of guys terrified of even going through the process.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking around the league, I'd be surprised if Virtanen lands less than $3m a season in arbitration.

Is it too much for a forward like Virtanen who so far has had only one decent scoring season? Probably. But then he joins a long list of Vancouver Canuck forwards who are being paid far more than what they're worth. And his contract would be miles away from being the worst on their roster.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The thing is that it is extremely clear that the Canucks have zero confidence in Jake so why not walk away which is something they should have done and kept Tanev..........

Reactions: lawrence
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad