Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If you look up canucks hockey scapegoat you will probably find a photo of Jake beside the ones of those who have gone before, even an old photo of Linden being pummelled by messier while lying prone on the ice (for those who remember those dark days).

Who is the GGOAT?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

His career in one shift.

Neutral zone turnover, lazy backcheck, skates across the crease with his head down, turnover in front of the net, dumb ass penalty.

im dying from laughter at that shift,

reminds me of when he took 2 minors in the world juniors within 5 seconds of each other and got 4 minutes and finland scored back to back goals.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I’m giving up on him,
What a waste of capspace and roster spot.
Jake doesn’t give a shit and should be traded away

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Even game 1 this season vs. the Oilers, he was beasting along the boards like I'd never seen him do before. The 2nd half of that game, he must have thwarted half a dozen attempts to get the puck by him, because he was hustling and throwing himself against the boards at both ends. I was thinking he'd learned something from those playoffs... but that was it. That level of hustle vanished after that game, and he has looked mostly disinterested since. Not sure what to think about him right now, as many others on the team are showing similar symptoms.

I'd still be wary of moving him at this point. I don't see how a Virtanen trade would help this team (likely it would be a lateral-ish move) and I don't think it would be a large enough shakeup to snap the team out of its funk. If the team's play continues to be like this, I think the better option is a coaching/management change and see what Jake - and everyone else- can do with a fresh start
Agreed. If Jake is to be moved, he should be moved by Benning's successor.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Jake is such a frustrating player. Just imagine what he could be if he had brains and a high work ethic. He'd be insane. It's hard to see him somehow acquiring those at this point. Maybe a new coach and city might do it.

Reactions: LordBacon

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep, they could have traded Virtanen coming off an 18-goal season and probably at the top of the market. Now his market value has slumped. Could have bought out Sutter and brought back Tofoli.

But if there's a GM who's going to consistently make the wrong call, it's this one. Just an awful use of assets.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why doesn’t the team tell the fans jakes weight and whether he’s in shape? To my old eyes Jake looks heavier and out of shape.
Yet Benning rewards the guy with ya o years and over five million.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
We should have dealt Virtanen and Pearson last season while their values were high, and then have had the cap space to sign Toffoli (or even Tanev ffs). This isn't even a hindsight argument, it was common sense at the time. Could have dealt them for futures to recoup some picks and help offset the picks we traded away, and also had a better roster with Toffoli on it.

This management is so f***ing stupid.

Reactions: Index and David71

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Don’t know what ever happened to his physicality. He was a wrecking ball in junior - lit guys up on a consistent basis. Took too many notes from his foundational mentor Brandon Sutter perhaps?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
How do you people still defend him lol

83FB8284-2C8B-400E-89F3-1C65E05BCBA8.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bougieman and Bgav

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
As always some people are acting like experts once something is proven wrong.

Just less than a year ago. People were talking about Virtanen like he is top 6 F. 25 G 25 A player, better than Ehlers/Nylander. Almost everyone didn't want to trade him and now people blaming Benning for not trading him.

Nov 1, 2011
As always some people are acting like experts once something is proven wrong.

Just less than a year ago. People were talking about Virtanen like he is top 6 F. 25 G 25 A player, better than Ehlers/Nylander. Almost everyone didn't want to trade him and now people blaming Benning for not trading him.

Get a new coach in (and GM).

Then let them evaluate what they have.

I sti think Jake is a 25G, 25A third liner in the right situation.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
someone will take a flyer on him because he’s a fast, gritty, big, good shot winger who scored 18 goals in 69 games without much PP time well playing in the bottom 6. Virtanen has not been the issue here, Green just sucks as a coach, Benning f***ed us with his signings and a few loud mouth posters on here blame Virtanen for everything, don’t forget that same group also wanted to give Horvat away, not exactly the people I would want to listen too closely to.

Is green supposed to show up to virtanen's house in the off-season and make him work out? is he supposed to get on the ice and move Virtanen's legs for him?

Virtanen is not "gritty"... Gritty is working hard and being tenacious. He floats, doesn't back-check, doesn't drive the play, and is a passenger on every line he's on. He pots a couple under the right circumstances, but for the price tag and opportunity given, there's players that'll get you more than Virt does.

Blaming this on Green, who has given him literally every opportunity, is being willfully ignorant to Virtanen's history. Green has his faults, but blaming him for Virtanen is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->