Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
The guy should be signing for big bucks by now instead of a 1-2 year show us what you got contract

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The guy should be signing for big bucks by now instead of a 1-2 year show us what you got contract
He just came off his bridge. That typically is put up to shut up time. And still here we are with the team cringing cause his arbitration award is likely what Fabbri and McCann got at $2.95 mill per

just goes to show where Jake is.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I’m hoping it’s a three year deal for 2-2.5 per, and then we trade his ass.

with Toffoli walking, I don’t think the Canucks can afford to lose Virtanen now, despite our local and really horrible hockey media hating on him we really need what he brings. It would be foolish to move Virtanen if we lost Toffoli. Vancouver has the worst hockey media guys in the world, it’s pretty embarrassing especially given how huge hockey is in Van, not sure why people listen to them or follow them.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He just came off his bridge. That typically is put up to shut up time. And still here we are with the team cringing cause his arbitration award is likely what Fabbri and McCann got at $2.95 mill per

just goes to show where Jake is.
Arbitration uses last seasons RFA comparables not this most recent season as far as I recall.

Jake’s agent is leaving money on the table if you can get two years even at 3.1m. That’s good value in a young still improving player even with a lot of faults.

His agent could point to Konecny’s 24/25/49 in 82 which jakes 18/18/36 in 69 compares favourably to. Konecny got 6 years @ $5.5m

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Since it looks like Virtanen will be our 2nd best right wing I think we should go all in see what we have.

miller - EP - Virt
Pearson - Bo - Boeser

Reactions: Jrtu

JoeMc

Sep 22, 2013
I still haven't lost faith in Jake. If we didn't have him, we'd be looking for someone just like him.

Jrtu

Jun 22, 2010
Since it looks like Virtanen will be our 2nd best right wing I think we should go all in see what we have.

miller - EP - Virt
Pearson - Bo - Boeser

Agreed. Only because it’s not like we have any other options. Thanks Benning.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Yeah I'm starting to think we are gonna keep him - which I certainly wouldn't have thought after the season ended.

I think Benning assumed he was going to be able to dump salary and resign Tofu............he didn't realize a dozen other GM's had a similar agenda and that wasn't going to be quite soo easy.

I don't mind Tofu going and us keeping him - there are definitely worse possible outcomes out there.

Reactions: Tony Stacks

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
I still haven't lost faith in Jake. If we didn't have him, we'd be looking for someone just like him.
People like the nebulous idea of Jake Virtanen. The actual person does not resemble what we'd all like him to be. His speed is more myth than reality. His hits are not punishing, they meet the bare minimum standard to even be recorded as hits. Has anyone ever seen him flying in first on the forecheck making the defence pay? Ever? That should be his bread and butter. The only way I see him getting there is with a change of scenery or a similar type of "oh shit I could lose my dream" type of scenario.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
People like the nebulous idea of Jake Virtanen. The actual person does not resemble what we'd all like him to be. His speed is more myth than reality. His hits are not punishing, they meet the bare minimum standard to even be recorded as hits. Has anyone ever seen him flying in first on the forecheck making the defence pay? Ever? That should be his bread and butter. The only way I see him getting there is with a change of scenery or a similar type of "oh shit I could lose my dream" type of scenario.

How is his speed "myth" ? He is the fastest skater in the team

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
How is his speed "myth" ? He is the fastest skater in the team

Likely because he doesn't tend to do much with that speed. Every once in awhile he does but it isn't a consistent threat. It's one thing to be fast it's another thing to know how to use that speed..change of pace, cutting to the net, truly pressuring on the forecheck etc. (you can add in another variable of quick acceleration...really helps with change of pace).

So I'm guessing the myth the poster means is that while he is indeed fast it doesn't really translate to his game to a huge degree because of his other deficiencies.

Reactions: CanucksMJL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->