Player Discussion Jake Virtanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
That's not what the post says. He says that for Jake, past performance means nothing. That doesn't mean he's written him off. He might do well, or he might not. But he can't count on Jake to start the way he finished.

It's a perfectly reasonable caution. Furthermore, if Jake is to get 20, as the poster predicts, he'll probably need a decent start, so the poster is likely expecting that as well. He's simply not counting on it based on past performance.

I misunderstood the post. I have faith he can increase point totals and become a shift by shift threat.

@CanaFan I'm not sure what the goals ppg were in his last 20. Probably not good if you're bringing it up. Do you happen to know? Anyways I was talking about his overall game and what appeared to be a step in the right direction.

If he can keep that up and be a force on a regular basis his opportunities and ability to score should increase.

Reactions: lindgren

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I misunderstood the post. I have faith he can increase point totals and become a shift by shift threat.

@CanaFan I'm not sure what the goals ppg were in his last 20. Probably not good if you're bringing it up. Do you happen to know? Anyways I was talking about his overall game and what appeared to be a step in the right direction.

If he can keep that up and be a force on a regular basis his opportunities and ability to score should increase.

3 goals 2 assists 40 shots in 20 games

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
If he is forced to play in the top 6 and not with sutter?

Definitely not more than 2 seasons then. Maybe 1.5?

Hard to say if it will help though. Doubt he plays with Horvat so what does that leave in the top 6? Gagner? More Sutter?

You could pair Jake with McDavid and I’m not sure he’d get much more than 20. He just doesn’t position himself well for scoring chances. If it’s not a solo rush or turnover he doesn’t get many chances.

Reactions: brokenhole

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Are you seriously comparing the Sedins to Virtanen??????????????????

It depends what your definition of comparing players. Am I comparing how they play the game. No I am not. Am I comparing how the Media and fans treat them. Yes I am

Virtanen because he is Canadian and local. He can do no wrong. One video showing him stickhandling and people are excited and saying he is working hard. Nobody wants him traded

Sedins in early 2000s. People call them soft. The Sisters, should get traded.

If you are not old enough to remember the early 2000s. Then I am pretty much talking to a brick wall right now.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
It depends what your definition of comparing players. Am I comparing how they play the game. No I am not. Am I comparing how the Media and fans treat them. Yes I am

Virtanen because he is Canadian and local. He can do no wrong. One video showing him stickhandling and people are excited and saying he is working hard. Nobody wants him traded

Sedins in early 2000s. People call them soft. The Sisters, should get traded.

If you are not old enough to remember the early 2000s. Then I am pretty much talking to a brick wall right now.
Yeah....I'm pretty sure I'm older than you and I'm not the brick wall.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I said this so many times and I will say it again. It's Virtanen sexy skating is tricking you guys into thinking he can be some legit top 6 winger.

Some comments I be reading from a lot of you guys. If Virtanen can improve his hands and stickhandling, he can score more.

If it was that simple, everyone can be a scorer.

People also been saying Virtanen Been working hard this summer. Wow watching a few minutes YouTube Video. That's mean he is working hard?

If he wasn't Canadian and a local Boy. People would be treating Virtanen like how like they were treating the Sedins in the early 2000s.
Aren't you kind of contradicting yourself here.?..The way the Sedins were treated is a clear demonstration of fans and media being impatient with development of prospects.

It seems that you also are impatient with Virtanen...like he's some sort of imposter..Should we trade him?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Aren't you kind of contradicting yourself here.?..The way the Sedins were treated is a clear demonstration of fans and media being impatient with development of prospects.

It seems that you also are impatient with Virtanen...like he's some sort of imposter..Should we trade him?

JVs problems as a hockey player are not fixable in the same way the Sedins problems were.

There is a small chance that he slowly develops his vision and offensive IQ, but we should be pleasantly surprised if that happens rather than dissapointed if it doesnt.

David Booth is a pretty decent comparison?

Reactions: lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
JVs problems as a hockey player are not fixable in the same way the Sedins problems were.

There is a small chance that he slowly develops his vision and offensive IQ, but we should be pleasantly surprised if that happens rather than dissapointed if it doesnt.

I firmly believed that the Sedins benefited from rule changes. If the NHL still allowed clutching and grabbing, I'm not sure if the Sedins would have ever become 1st line players in the NHL, nevermind winning the Art Ross.

David Booth prior to his concussion did score 30+ goals in a season and was 22+ goal scorer prior to his decline in Vancouver.

Personally, I think that if Virtanen's biggest issues last season was his lack of finish. He created plenty of scoring chances with his speed when he merely took the puck to the net. I've said this before, he doesn't need to have high hockey IQ to be an effective player. He showed last season that he does have the ability to get to the net. Obviously, he can benefit from rounding out his game. I actually have high hopes for him next season.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I firmly believed that the Sedins benefited from rule changes. If the NHL still allowed clutching and grabbing, I'm not sure if the Sedins would have ever become 1st line players in the NHL, nevermind winning the Art Ross.

David Booth prior to his concussion did score 30+ goals in a season and was 22+ goal scorer prior to his decline in Vancouver.

Personally, I think that if Virtanen's biggest issues last season was his lack of finish. He created plenty of scoring chances with his speed when he merely took the puck to the net. I've said this before, he doesn't need to have high hockey IQ to be an effective player. He showed last season that he does have the ability to get to the net. Obviously, he can benefit from rounding out his game. I actually have high hopes for him next season.

Would not rule out a peak season of 30 goals. And being a steady ~15-20 goal guy for his best years.

Reactions: pomorick

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

David Booth has always made a lot more sense to me as a Virtanen comparison than Jannik Hansen, who seems to be the choice of many.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
David Booth has always made a lot more sense to me as a Virtanen comparison than Jannik Hansen, who seems to be the choice of many.

For sure. Jake doesn’t have anything close to Hansen’s intense chase-and-harass style game while Jake has better raw goal scoring tools. I’ve always thought Jake could be a Chris Kreider but he’ll have to greatly improve his conversion rate to get there.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
For sure. Jake doesn’t have anything close to Hansen’s intense chase-and-harass style game while Jake has better raw goal scoring tools. I’ve always thought Jake could be a Chris Kreider but he’ll have to greatly improve his conversion rate to get there.

Exactly.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Do you remember how the Media and the fans treated the Sedins in the early 2000s?
Of course I do. My point is that it took the Sedins quite a while to find their games and they were ridiculed by the fans and media- most notably by Neil Macrae who coined the infamous "Sedin Sisters" tag that some of our less evolved brethren use to this day. I think we can all agree they found their games though.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Am I totally off saying Kreider makes his money as a garbage goal net-front shit disturber?

(I don't watch the Rangers play because they hurt my feeling 24 years ago)

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Am I totally off saying Kreider makes his money as a garbage goal net-front **** disturber?

(I don't watch the Rangers play because they hurt my feeling 24 years ago)

More of a skate-fast-and-shoot-hard type player. Also has some bite to his game and hits hard on the forecheck. Close to what Jake *could* be if he finds more consistency and nastiness in his game.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
You know, the more I think about it, the more I have a really good feeling about Virtanen having a much better season. Last year he had 10 goals, and this season I think we can expect Jake to have 18 to 20 goals. He's had time to mature, find his confidence, and sign a two year contract so he'll have a sense of belonging too. When you look at his history in junior, he's needed time at each level to get comfortable, and he's had that now. He probably won't have PP time (ew) or very good linemates for much of season, so that could hold him back, but who knows how the line combos and ice-time deployment will shake out? There could well be some surprises.

Reactions: Mudshark50
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad