Value of: Jake Virtanen to Det.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Were you expecting a better one from a rebuilding team?
First off not my original proposal, secondly I don’t care if it’s a rebuilding team, a KHL team or timbits peewee team, it’s stupid to trade 1 for 1 for a worse player. If there’s more value added to the trade, maybe - so to answer your question yes I would expect a better player than a 24 year old with 20 total nhl games and no evidence that they have some future potential.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Chlorowski never understood why the wings went off track with their normal player development. He went to St Cloud St for a year then signed an elc and played in the whl at 19? Seemed to get to the nhl faster than how the wings like to have their prospects marinate in Grand Rapids.
The Wings and Cholo bungled his development. He shouldn't have left St. Cloud. I think he wasn't happy because he was on the bottom pairing, but there were 4 or 5 D that were just legit better than him because they were older, some of them 4 years older. 3 of them left after that season and if he would have been patient and stayed one more year he probably would be a lot better off.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Wings and Cholo bungled his development. He shouldn't have left St. Cloud. I think he wasn't happy because he was on the bottom pairing, but there were 4 or 5 D that were just legit better than him because they were older, some of them 4 years older. 3 of them left after that season and if he would have been patient and stayed one more year he probably would be a lot better off.
Playing in the NCAA as a sophomore or in the W as a 19 year old is about the same development. The bungling would be him bouncing between the A and NHL as a 20 and 21 year old.

wings typically kept their top prospects in the A until they were ready to permanently stick in the NHL.

Octopus

May 17, 2006
Would love this kid in a wings uniform, is there a package deal that could be worked out? Curious what Vancouver would be looking for in exchange for Virtanen. Seems like the kind of player Yzerman would roll the dice on.
Wouldn't part with any value for Virtanen at this point. I think he's destined to be a waiver pick-up for someone later in the year.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020

No thanks for left side D who can't play on the right or play defensively (can McIsaac?). Hughes is of course the top LD, then Juolevi is shaping up nicely, and we have another kid in Rathbone who can probably be a dynamic puck mover. McIsaac's grit would be good, but as long as he's healthy and again can play on the right.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No thanks for left side D who can't play on the right or play defensively (can McIsaac?). Hughes is of course the top LD, then Juolevi is shaping up nicely, and we have another kid in Rathbone who can probably be a dynamic puck mover. McIsaac's grit would be good, but as long as he's healthy and again can play on the right.
I think Benning and Green probably want to trade Jake but likely aquilini still likes him and maybe won’t let him get moved since Benning and green could be terminated given the Canucks have likely dug themselves too deep a hole to come out of to make the playoffs.

at this point Jake isn’t doing anything for the team.
Canucks have an open protection spot on D assuming they expose Myers for the ED. I’d like them to use Jake as part of the compensation to acquire a Dman that another team isn’t able to protect.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

WhoTagz

Jan 28, 2017
Pennsylvania
Virtanen has clearly fallen out of favor in Vancouver and wouldn't take much to get him. I'd prefer a player in a similar situation in return: player with upside that is having trouble reaching it, but is still young enough to turn it around if the stars align. Basically a disappointment for disappointment swap then we both cross our fingers and hope a change of scenery helps them.

Brett Howden

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
On Detroit? LOL

05-06 is the last time Wings had a RH player of any age or position that actually scored 20. Raymond most likely will be the next to do so.

JV's handedness is the only reason why I have just the slightest interest. Wings have enough reclaimation projects as is right now.

Best offer from me is Svechnikov for JV straight up.
Sorry but we already accepted Svechnikov, Cholowski, McIsaac.

Enjoy.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Would Cholowski be of any interest? Or Mcissac maybe? Cholo looked great and then kind of fell off after getting benched, in Vancouver I believe. Mcissac was once a good prospect I thought but injury issues have really made him a mystery.
I wouldn't give up McIsaac for him. Injuries have definitely held him back but at this point we have no idea what he actually is. All we know is that when he wasmt injured he was a two time gold medal winner on team canada and a top prospect

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If Fabbri could be available Id do it, otherwise Id do that Choloski/3rd deal for sure.
Fabbri for Virtanen is a pipe dream. Currently Fabbri is our 2C producing offense (12gp, 4g/3a)& is a +3 player on a -25G differential lottery team. The team is happy with Fabbri & isn't trading him unless it's part of a package for a huge upgrade. No sense including Fabbri in offers...

Virt is a project/reclamation & we're overabundant in W's & reclamation projects.
We don't really need or want Virtanen, save for a small minority of Wings fans.

If I had to come up with an offer it'd be Biega & Svechnikov, but I could care less either way. I'd be just as happy to keep Svech & see if he can overcome his injuries, the kid is a warrior. Nucks might fetch a slightly better offer, but that's the value I have Virt at, which is minimal.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Fabbri for Virtanen is a pipe dream. Currently Fabbri is our 2C producing offense (12gp, 4g/3a)& is a +3 player on a -25G differential lottery team.

Virt is a project/reclamation & we're overabundant in W's & reclamation projects.

If I had to come up with an offer it'd be Biega & Svechnikov, but I could care less either way. I'd be just as happy to keep Svech & see if he can overcome his injuries, the kid is a warrior. Nucks might fetch a slightly better offer, but that's the value I have Virt at, which is minimal.

Fabbri for Virtanen + 2nd rounder seems fair to me.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The Jim Benning special, add a 2nd to get the deal done.

Not interested in adding a pick to Virtanen for Fabbri. He hasn't proven anything different than Virtanen. On the Canucks Fabbri would probably be in the exact same role as JV. Not worth the added pick or cap.

Reactions: YP44

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Fabbri + 2nd for Bo Horvat "seems fair to me" \s. See how easy that is to type. It's not EA Sports NHL '19. Maybe if we added another 2nd we can swap EP for BH too?

Guess you've completely ignored: "Fabbri for Virtanen is a pipe dream. Currently Fabbri is our 2C producing offense (12gp, 4g/3a)& is a +3 player on a -25G differential lottery team.

If I had to come up with an offer it'd be Biega & Svechnikov, but I could care less either way..."

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Fabbri + 2nd for Bo Horvat "seems fair to me" \s. See how easy that is to type. It's not EA Sports NHL '19. Maybe if we added another 2nd we can swap EP for BH too?

Guess you've completely ignored: "Fabbri for Virtanen is a pipe dream. Currently Fabbri is our 2C producing offense (12gp, 4g/3a)& is a +3 player on a -25G differential lottery team.

If I had to come up with an offer it'd be Biega & Svechnikov, but I could care less either way..."

Just because he is the wings 2nd line center does not make him a 2nd line center. I did not miss your message which is why the 2nd is there, no need to copy and paste.

Fabbri also has a negative relative Corsi and negative relative Fenwick this year along with an offensive zone start of 55%. I do not believe advanced stats are the be all end all, but I do trust them over +/-. Without watching as many Red Wings games as I am sure you do, is he playing sheltered minutes?

I think a 2nd for Fabbri is decent value for the Wings, but this thread was about Virtanen to the wings so he is the throw in.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I think there is a lot of assumptions being made about Virtanen. Is he playing well this season - no, has he lived up to his draft position - no, is he a sure fire top 6 winger - no. However he is a very fast, big body that can has a very good shot and was on the doorstep of 20 goals last year before the season ended. If players were traded for their value based on a 17 game stretch, Anderson wouldn't have landed in Montreal for Domi and then re-signed for 7 years @ $5.5. Virtanen is also still young enough that he has growth potential or at least the opportunity to return to a 20 goal/82gm pace. Yes Canuck fans don't like him, yes he lacks hockey IQ but to think he will be put on waivers or traded for a late round pick shows a lack of understanding of the player and hockey trade dynamics.

Reactions: biturbo19 and YP44

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
You have got to be kidding? Add a 2nd going to Detroit and I still wouldn't do it.

Fabbri < < Virtanen Yeah add a 2nd round pick and i still doubt Yzerman pulls the trigger.

Fabbri for Virtanen is a pipe dream. .

Fair enough, didn't realize Fabbri was playing so well this season.. as, you know, there's only 1 division to us up here. ;)

If Cholowski is available like someone mentioned earlier, I'd look at that.

Svechnikov won't cut it IMO, was already on waivers this year, doesn't seem like an NHL player at this stage (only 20 career GP).

Virtanen's having a down year but still scored 18 in a shortened year last season - and has been an NHL contributor the last number of years.

Maybe DET isn't the best fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->