Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I’m happy in a sense that it’s showing Green being more even handed. This is progress IMO.

Next up, Granlund.
Granlund is one of four canucks to suit up every game this season.

Granlund will not sit

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Granlund is one of four canucks to suit up every game this season.

Granlund will not sit
Green likely sits Jake because he is an important part of the future and this is a learning opportunity. Granlund doesn’t sit because at this stage he is what he is. A fairly safe, low event player. He isn’t part of the future

Reactions: sting101

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Cant help but get annoyed reading Green's comments about benching Jake.

“If any young player gets scratched, they’ve got to learn from it,” Green said. “They’ve got to listen to the coaches, put in the work, and improve.
“The NHL, man, a lot of guys don’t hit their best until they’re four, five, six, seven years in the league and they’ve gone through a lot of ups and downs – good play, bad play, adversity. When you’ve gone through those ups and downs in your career, you either eventually figure out how to be consistent and a guy who knows what it takes."

Virtanen hasn't been at his best of late but also hasn’t been the poorest Canuck. Vancouver is still 6-3-2 since he last scored. The young players continue to get singled out whereas as the veterans like Granlund, Eriksson, Gunbrandson, Pouliot, Sutter, Baertschi can not score and suck with complete impunity

Reactions: daddyohsix

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Jake has the opportunity to be a difference maker. He has size, he has skill. He needs to learn how to use it. I see this as Green doing Jake a big favour.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Feels like he’s getting too comfortable lately, agree with scratching him. It’s not on ice Iq that he lacks, it’s intensity. With his build and play style he needs to play like rousell, or else he ends up being pretty useless.

Reactions: B-rock

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's difficult to make a point benching young players when you give crappy veterans so much ice time and opportunity. Just looks dumb.

Makes much more sense when you actually have a good team.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Feels like he’s getting too comfortable lately, agree with scratching him. It’s not on ice Iq that he lacks, it’s intensity. With his build and play style he needs to play like rousell, or else he ends up being pretty useless.

His IQ has always been his biggest issue, at least in the offensive zone. He's still doing the same things in the offensive zone, that he did in his first season. Shoot from bad angles, shoot from too far out, hardly ever drive the net with the puck etc etc. These aren't bad habits at this point, it's just his game.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
His IQ has always been his biggest issue, at least in the offensive zone. He's still doing the same things in the offensive zone, that he did in his first season. Shoot from bad angles, shoot from too far out, hardly ever drive the net with the puck etc etc. These aren't bad habits at this point, it's just his game.
What you’re saying is true and I fully agree, but for me jake can “drive offense”in a way that he carries the puck from our zone to the offensive zone and get a offensive zone face off for the guys on the next shift. This kind of contribution aren’t gonna show up on the sheets.
He can be a pretty useful player with his speed and size and I like how he trained with pavel barber this offseason, his stick handling has improved quite a bit(it’s still average for an nhler), and his two way play has improved as well. It’s a matter of expectations really, if you’re expecting him to “turn his game around” and become the ultimate top 6 power forward you’re gonna be very disappointed. (I apologise if my grammar is messed up, English ain’t my first language)
cheers buddy

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
What you’re saying is true and I fully agree, but for me jake can “drive offense”in a way that he carries the puck from our zone to the offensive zone and get a offensive zone face off for the guys on the next shift. This kind of contribution aren’t gonna show up on the sheets.
He can be a pretty useful player with his speed and size and I like how he trained with pavel barber this offseason, his stick handling has improved quite a bit(it’s still average for an nhler), and his two way play has improved as well. It’s a matter of expectations really, if you’re expecting him to “turn his game around” and become the ultimate top 6 power forward you’re gonna be very disappointed. (I apologise if my grammar is messed up, English ain’t my first language)
cheers buddy

All I've really wanted him to improve on, is to hang onto the puck more and look to make some plays rather than just firing the puck wildly at the net. All that does is kills plays or loses the team possession of the puck - drives me nuts everytime and it's really my main issues with his game, as I think he could be such a valuable player if he figured this part of his game out.

I understand what you are saying for sure though and he does seem to be a fairly effective player in other areas.

Reactions: LordBacon

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no idea if the benching is a message or a desire by Green to get Goldy back in the lineup.....the pp has been moribund lately and Goldy has worked some magic with Pettersson in the past.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
All I've really wanted him to improve on, is to hang onto the puck more and look to make some plays rather than just firing the puck wildly at the net. All that does is kills plays or loses the team possession of the puck - drives me nuts everytime and it's really my main issues with his game, as I think he could be such a valuable player if he figured this part of his game out.

I understand what you are saying for sure though and he does seem to be a fairly effective player in other areas.
Oh trust me I want the very same out of jake but it’s just not his style. His bread and butter is his north south game, what he should be focusing on is to drive the net, getting close shots on net , destroy whoever the heck is in the way like Chris Kreider, drawing penalties and getting o-zone starts for the team. If he possessed any playmaking abilities then it would’ve matured and showed up by now, he can hardly make a good pass he just doesn’t have it in him. Like you said it’s his game and it’s not changing anytime soon.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Green is a pretty tough coach isnt he? I wonder how Pettersson feels playing under him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Green is a pretty tough coach isnt he? I wonder how Pettersson feels playing under him.

He's probably fine with it given Pettersson is constantly trying to improve his game, making changes to adjust etc, and, of course, he's the best player the team has by a significant degree. He isn't in danger of ever being benched.

I'm not shocked with the Virtanen move...he had a great few weeks earlier in the year but he has regressed in his play yet again. Becoming increasingly likely that he is a bottom 6 player and nothing else. Wouldn't be shocked to see him moved quite honestly.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
He's probably fine with it given Pettersson is constantly trying to improve his game, making changes to adjust etc, and, of course, he's the best player the team has by a significant degree. He isn't in danger of ever being benched.

I'm not shocked with the Virtanen move...he had a great few weeks earlier in the year but he has regressed in his play yet again. Becoming increasingly likely that he is a bottom 6 player and nothing else. Wouldn't be shocked to see him moved quite honestly.
Virtanen+goldy for a decent player?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
  1. Jake is a straight line fast winger who might score a bit better if he wasn't saddled with a slow, black hole of a center who has once assist all season long.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Conner McDavid won the fastest skater competition this year at the NHL Skills competition with a time of 13.378

Jake Virtanen would have finish second with the time of 13.465 that he had at the Canucks skills competition which is less than 1/10th of a second behind McDavid.... and Virtanen did it with a cape on.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

member 290103

1. Jake is a straight line fast winger who might score a bit better if he wasn't saddled with a slow, black hole of a center who has once assist all season long.

...........and now rumours abound we are going to retain the black hole centre and trade Jake.........likely for another horrible defenseman that was once touted as having lots of upside.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
...........and now rumours abound we are going to retain the black hole centre and trade Jake.........likely for another horrible defenseman that was once touted as having lots of upside.

it’s kind of a sick joke to me that thomas hickey, once considered the bust of busts, is now a solid non-horrible top four defenseman.

meanwhile we have gudbranson and pouliot, luke schenn in the minors, and that decade old cam barker taste still in my mouth.

so... griffin reinhart?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I think he needs to get some extended time away from Brandon Sutter.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Sutter has slowed down Virtanen considerably since returning. Sutter is a chipy defensive forward that creates a lot of whistles and broken plays, whereas Virtanen thrives when the game is flowing, uptempo, and has good pace. Jake’s aggressive, lighting fast, hits hard, and has a great shot. He should end up being a consistent 20 goal scorer that plays the right way; hard fast & heavy, the type of player teams hate to play against. He’s not going to be the 30+ goal scorer that fans were hoping for, but is still a very effective player. Sutter needs to go, he doesn’t fit the style of play the Canucks are aiming for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->