Jake Virtanen, Adam Gaudette, and the inarguable problem of the bottom 6.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Ok I want to stop you right there, Mr. Moderator. I know your itchy trigger finger is dying to move this to the management thread but this isn’t about Benning and management. Hear me out.

Obviously we’ve all been hearing a lot of criticism about Jake Virtanen. Adam Gaudette has gotten some too after having 0 points in 10 playoff games. Satiar Shah, who I normally find to be logical, level headed, and just all around seems to be a nice guy, had a take that inspired this thread for me.

In a tweet the other day, Shah said he thinks one way for the Canucks to improve their bottom 6 would be to trade JV. This is not a new or shocking opinion by any means, but I will attempt to show that it is in fact a logically incorrect opinion. That is, if opinions can in fact be incorrect and you are in fact trying to make the best hockey team possible.

Jake Virtanen is probably our best skating forward on a team that is imo starved for more speed up front. He had 18g 18a 36pts in 69 games this season. That prorates to 21g 21a 42pts over a full 82 game season. Virtanen’s 36 points was good enough for 161st in the NHL in points and 137th among forwards. That puts him, strictly based on math, as a 2nd line player based on his production. There are 31 teams in the NHL and each team has 6 top 6 forwards (duh) meaning there are 186 top 6 forwards.

This isn’t surprising for anyone paying attention. What is surprising, however, is that Virtanen did this while being 312th(!!!) among NHL forwards in ice time per game. What that means is, simply based on math, Virtanen was a 4th liner. Or rather he was given the ice time of a 4th liner.

“Ok, so what? He’s not a responsible player. We’re much better off having Loui in the top 6! Virtanen is a black hole on offence and doesn’t help his linemates!”

Statistically, you are wrong again.

This is from Brian Choi:

“Analytically, the line of Pettersson – Miller – Virtanen was one of the best the Canucks rolled out all season. According to moneypuck.com’s model, their Expected Goals for Per 60 Minutes (xG/60)* of 3.84 was the highest of any Canuck line combination. League-wide, they were no slouch as their 3.84 xG/60 put them at 3rd. Their Corsi* and Fenwick* was also the highest of any Canuck line combination, at a very impressive 58.3% and 59.7%, respectively. For those unfamiliar with Corsi and Fenwick, Corsi measures total shot attempts for, while Fenwick measures unblocked shot attempts for. In other words, 58.3% of the total shot attempts and 59.7% of the total unblocked shot attempts belonged to the Canucks when Pettersson – Miller – Virtanen were on the ice.”

The Breakout Season of Vancouver Canucks Winger Jake Virtanen

You can literally make a statistical argument that Virtanen was the best RW for the Miller-EP line this season. Better than Boeser on that line, better than Toffoli on that line, he was that good. His points per 60 was better than anyone not named Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, and Gaudette, all while playing primarily with 3rd and 4th liners.

Ok so now you’re wondering, so what? “I still think he’s lazy, don’t like him, I’m still crying that he’s not Cam Neely”, etc.

When you compare Jake to someone like let’s say Antoine Roussel, the comparison becomes especially stark. Roussel makes triple what Virtanen makes and is significantly less productive. But this comparison is relevant because of Virtanen is traded, this is the type of replacement we’re looking at.

We can ALL agree that the bottom 6 needs to get better. The problem is, when you have someone like Sat Shah (and many other fans) suggesting we trade Virtanen, all that will do is make the problem worse. If we ditch Virtanen who takes his spot? There’s one of two options: it’s either someone like Zack MacEwen who is significantly worse than Virtanen (sorry guys it’s just unarguable. I like MacEwen too but it’s a shooting gallery against him when he’s out there) or the other option is signing a veteran like Roussel who will cost double what Virtanen will cost while still being a lesser player.

I can see it now. As soon as we trade Virtanen, within the next 6 months Canucks fans will be saying: “We need young cheap players who can contribute! We have way too many old overpaid players!”

So to many of you who want Virtanen gone but also want the bottom 6 to improve, what’s your end game?

Step 1: Trade our most productive bottom 6er.

Step 2: Sign an older, more expensive, worse player to replace him.

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Bottom 6 gets better.

Look I think JV is maybe the most misrepresented and unfairly treated player I’ve seen in this market. Obviously I’m a fan of his and obviously he isn’t perfect. I think so many criticize him relentlessly because they’re still hung up on where he was drafted and had uninformed expectations of what kind of player he is. He can hit but he’s not Bertuzzi. He can fight sometimes but he’s not Jamie Benn. But he is a big, fast, productive young player who continues to get better. There are probably 5-10 other players who deserve the criticism JV gets much more than Jake.

Anyway that’s the end of my rant for now. I know many of you will still light up Jake for some unsubstantiated reason like “hE’s fAT tHo” or “hE SuX dEfeNSivElY”, both of which are untrue. Also I didn’t mention Gaudette much but pretty much all of what I said about JV can also be applied to Gaudette. The worst thing we could do is trade AG and replace him with a more expensive and less productive player.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
There was a time when Virtanen had raw potential but he's never fully developed any further. He may still "get it" but it would probably be on a different team.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m of the opinion Jake comes to every camp overweight, and not ready to play. He’s very immature, and not at all professional. If JB can use Jake as sweetener to dump a toxic contract (Loui’s would be the obvious first choice) that should be done. That clears enough cap to resign Tofu. That gives us Brock and Tofu as 1-2 Right Wing. Gaudette can play third line centre, with Sutter on right wing. Big Zack plays, and saves us 7 million off the cap when compared to the savings of Jake going with Loui.
We are a far better team next season with Tofu and Big Zack, than with Jake and Loui.
So, it’s bye bye to Jake for me, if another team will take him and Loui.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The OP’s premise is based mostly on Jake being cheap. But is he going to be cheap moving forward? He’s at $1.25 mill which is cheap but he is a rfa with arbitration rights.

Fabbri in Detroit, just got $2.95 mill per for 2 years and has pretty much been a 0.5 PPG player for his career. More was expected from him but injuries have held him back.

If that is a Comparable for Jake in arbitration which I’m sure it will be, can the Canucks afford Jake at anything above $2.5 mill per? If you start running the numbers on guys on bridge type contracts coming off elc with around 35-45 prorated points for a season what are their cap hits?

unlikely to be $1.5 mill.

therein lies the issue with Jake. Is he a $3 mill player? If he is, that impacts what you do moving forward.

Canucks have $17 mill in cap space.

Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette, Stecher are rfa.
Toffoli, Markstrom, Tanev, Fantenberg are ufa.

they have 9 forwards signed, 10 if you include MacEwen I believe. On D, you have 4 guys signed who were on the roster and 1 goalie.

so with $17 mill you need to get 5 forwards, 3 Dmen and 1 goalie. That is 9 players for under $2 mill each on average.

Gaudette, Motte, Juolevi would come in around $3.5 or mill combined. Would then leave $13.5 mill for 6 players.

If jake is coming in at $3 mill then you have $10.5 mill for 5 skaters.

if that 5 skaters remaining there is an opening in the second line spot. Other spot up front is depth.

and it is very important to ensure enough cap space comes off in 2021 to ensure that you can extend Hughes and Pettersson for their approximately $18 mill combined.

so any notion of moving Sutter and using his cap space to improve next years roster has to consider the impact of not having that cap space available the following season assuming you are replacing him with a guy on a multi year contract.

so for me, you roll with pretty much the same roster and try to unload one of roussel, Beagle, or even a Eriksson to Seattle (ideally I’d like to see the Canucks bury him in the A next season hoping that he doesn’t report and they can terminate his contract).

Reactions: MarkMM

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The issue with Jake isn't his production, it's his effort.

That is why people are disappointed in him. Jake had everything lined up for him, local product, size, speed, shot. All he needed to do was give 110% every day to the dedication of hockey, but he would rather dedicate that effort to partying.

If I'm being paid to perform in a physical sport, you bet I would be working my ass off to be as best of a shape as I can be.

And that is why I work an office job sitting at the desk all day.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If we move Virtanen it will have to be to get rid of considerable cap space, that is the only thing that makes sense.

We would then need to address the bottom 6 through free agency or trade, but we sincerely need a better vision of what our bottom 6 should accomplish. Hopefully these playoffs has given Benning some context on some of his acquisitions, hopefully he’s able to use that to better the group.

Virtanen is an excellent bottom 6 staple or top 6 fill in. I’d move him to clear cap space, but that’s about it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The issue with Jake isn't his production, it's his effort.

That is why people are disappointed in him. Jake had everything lined up for him, local product, size, speed, shot. All he needed to do was give 110% every day to the dedication of hockey, but he would rather dedicate that effort to partying.

If I'm being paid to perform in a physical sport, you bet I would be working my ass off to be as best of a shape as I can be.

And that is why I work an office job sitting at the desk all day.
I would wonder who jake spends his off time with? He should be connecting with Horvat and going out east to train with him. But with a newborn Bo isn’t going to want to drag Virtanen around as his time is more limited (plus with covid and a newborn) he needs to trust jake to limit his social bubble if they did train together.

that would be a sign of maturity from Jake. Who is he training with this off season? Who did he train with during the extended covid break?

at his age the 2nd line RW spot is open given their cap crunch. 5 years as a pro and the Canucks still can’t consistently trust him to give him that spot which organizationally they would love to do.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If Jake spends the entire off season with Gary Roberts.....

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If we move Virtanen it will have to be to get rid of considerable cap space, that is the only thing that makes sense.

We would then need to address the bottom 6 through free agency or trade, but we sincerely need a better vision of what our bottom 6 should accomplish. Hopefully these playoffs has given Benning some context on some of his acquisitions, hopefully he’s able to use that to better the group.

Virtanen is an excellent bottom 6 staple or top 6 fill in. I’d move him to clear cap space, but that’s about it.
Moving jake out as part of a cap dump only makes sense if it’s someone with term past next season like Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson.
Because If they don’t do that and move only Sutter out, they would then need to Bleed another asset the following off season to free up cap space to sign the big 2 guys.

so really there is limited cap space to improve next years roster because you need to free up a tonne of cap space in 2021 to sign the 2 key pieces of the franchise.

you need to allot cap room for them now and then ensure everyone else would slot in afterwards. They did it backwards this past season signing Brock last. Adding Ferland before taking care of Brock.

cant do that again.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Guys need to step off the ledge. We just had our bottom 6 exposed by Vegas, which has one of the strongest that I've seen in the NHL in quite some time. We were exposed and lost to Vegas because they were a flat out better team at the peak of it's contending window, we are simply not there yet. Why would we ship out young guys like Motte, Gaudette, Virtanen who are young and still getting better based on what was a fantastic playoff run that was bound to end. By the time we enter our own cup contending window, hopefully in 2 years time, we will have much improved versions of Sutter, Beagle, Rousell, LE. It all takes time, dumping our young guys for a quick fix would be disastrous, especially when we have guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind, MacEwan knocking at the door.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sutter has not played well, but he’s the last guy on the list I would move outside of retaining a portion of his salary to move him for a late round pick. Hopefully someone would take him at $2.2 mill for 1 season if the cost is a 7th rounder. Aside from that I don’t see the point of moving Sutter cause again we need the cap space from his contract to shift over to Petey.

rather save the assets and try to either get Eriksson to walk away.

heck I would even let Eriksson keep his $3 mill SB and tell him to walk away. Given that the $3 mill was for the 20-21 season the nhl would make the Canucks take a dead cap hit for it. We wouldn’t if that money was related to a season he completed but it’s not. So if he got 75% of the 20-21 compensation the Canucks should eat 75% of the cap hit at $4.5 mill. Would then leave them $1.5 mill to find his replacement for next season but more importantly would free up $6 mill for 21-22 season.

this is all theoretical on my part but the numbers have a logical base to them.

short term pain for long term gain.

Reactions: Nosskire ot Elgaeb

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I’m of the opinion Jake comes to every camp overweight, and not ready to play. He’s very immature, and not at all professional. If JB can use Jake as sweetener to dump a toxic contract (Loui’s would be the obvious first choice) that should be done. That clears enough cap to resign Tofu. That gives us Brock and Tofu as 1-2 Right Wing. Gaudette can play third line centre, with Sutter on right wing. Big Zack plays, and saves us 7 million off the cap when compared to the savings of Jake going with Loui.
We are a far better team next season with Tofu and Big Zack, than with Jake and Loui.
So, it’s bye bye to Jake for me, if another team will take him and Loui.

I agree. I've been a Virtanen supporter for awhile and always of the opinion that he's worth more to us relative to his trade value, mostly based on potential. But at this point I'm sick of seeing his inconstant effort and bone headed mis-plays where the offense dies on his stick.

I think the pendulum has now shifted and his trade value is more in line with the kind of player he really is.

That said, we need cap relief more than we need a 2nd. Virtanen is the perfect sweetener for unloading a bad contract.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Great post. One thing to keep in mind when comparing expected gf and other stats it can be comparing a short sample size to a larger sample size. The expected gf might regress to the mean with a larger sample size. I wouln't mind giving Virtanen an extended look on EP's wing to see if it continues though.

Reactions: Love

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I like the Idea plus Lievo at his expected cap hit + Jake return more than Jake at his expected cap hit + let leivo walk.

Im not sure were less competitive with Leivo instead of jake in the lineup.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Based on the playoffs, the bottom 6...

Motte>Virtanen>Gaudette>Beagle/Macewen>Sutter/Roussel/Eriksson

For a big strong guy Virtanen plays a soft skilled game, he’s a useful player as he has the ability to play up and down the lineup, however Virtanen isn’t fiesty and relentless enough to play in the bottom 6 full time, and doesn’t have the high awareness to play in the top 6 full time. Coach is always trying to jump start his play every few games by giving him time in the top 6, he excels for a while before eventually fading and the cycle just continues. The ideal fit for Virtanen would be on a Scoring 3rd line. I would also put him on LW as that is were he had success in junior, being a right hand shot it would give him more opportunities and make it easier to drive to the net, playing RW he’s forced to go straight and around the net. A line of Virtanen-Gaudette-Leivo should work nicely.

Last edited:

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Jake and Gaudette didn't develop as much as I would like to see during the season. They are talented players, the coaches need to groom them a bit better. I think Gaudette has to go to the wing. If we get a center who can actually play a shut down role, it would make our Top 6 much better

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Jake and Gaudette didn't develop as much as I would like to see during the season. They are talented players, the coaches need to groom them a bit better. I think Gaudette has to go to the wing. If we get a center who can actually play a shut down role, it would make our Top 6 much better

Your expectations must’ve been through the roof then. Were you expecting Jake to score 30? Gaudette to get 50pts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonystretcher

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Your expectations must’ve been through the roof then. We’re you expecting Jake to score 30? Gaudette to get 50pts?

I expected them to become better defensive players and perhaps start working in on the PK, so we have better depth there.

Do agree though the scoring was a nice bonus.

Reactions: MarkMM and Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->