Jake Muzzin't Play.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Muzzin will be fine, kid is just getting a taste of real Hockey.

Muzzin has always had all the tools, just his brain is a step behind.

Hopefully Sutter and Stevens can get his brain to catch up.

This is a good experience for Muzz, remember how bad Slava looked last year to start the playoffs?

The Blues Fore-Check makes a lot of players look bad, Scuds being one of them.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Dunno about u but I think scuds is playing fine. He's blocking shots and clearing the crease. Sounds like you want the man to score some goals. I swear people pick on scuds like he's some kind of rookie.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Look at this from another perspective. Suppose YOUR job and existence was open for all to see and comment on. You made mistakes as you began a new job or career also. Around the office and breakrooms we would hear this....

Did you catch the presentation the new guy gave? What a tool. Its clear he lacks practical experience in the field. Another newbie we have to train up and deal with now.

Jim this proposal for the new client looks great but there is one issue. Your sales proposal is wrong. Very wrong. If we presented this to them its possible we would lose their business.

Seriously folks this can go on forever.

In our lives we dont have guys coming at us at 20mph that weigh 225, looking to put you through your cube wall. (although i would love to do this daily to some co workers)

Lighten up folks, you make mistakes also. The kid is learning under fire and more pressure than most will ever experience.

As a former newspaper reporter and editor (and returning to that same role in about two weeks) I agree with you 100% and it's a big reason why I refrain from bashing players to much anymore. My work was (and again soon will be) out there for all to see, and when you make a mistake, everyone hears about it, sees, and rereads it again and again. It can really take a toll on you if people won't let it go. Thankfully I didn't have to many issues in my career thus far, but I've seen careers ruined by a simple mistake, so I find it easier to lay off a guy.

That rule doesn't apply to everyone, such as a Sean Avery type.

tumblr_mik01sLfh61s4zjvuo1_500.gif

LOOK over there EBERLLY with a TurnOver ...

LOOK over there MUZZIN with a TurnOver ....

tumblr_lsx5b8mPmY1r2bzz4o1_500.gif

KINGS WIN the GAME !!!

tumblr_mfu6jafxO61s224d7o1_500.gif

:laugh:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Do some of you realize these people earn at least $ 500.000 a year and are a public figure. Now we cant criticize a player anymore because we all mistakes at our daily job ? Would be great journalism...

All that crap that I read from the US about the supposed celibrities, that's something I would worry about.

I also constantly read "this kid this and this kid that". He's 24 years old. In my culture he's not a kid.

Edit: Go Kings.

Last edited:

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Do some of you realize these people earn at least $ 500.000 a year and are a public figure. Now we cant criticize a player anymore because we all mistakes at our daily job ? Would be great journalism...

All that crap that I read from the US about the supposed celibrities, that's something I would worry about.

I also constantly read "this kid this and this kid that". He's 24 years old. In my culture he's not a kid.

I'm not saying don't critize, but make your critic something that makes sense.

Saying "He's horrible" doesn't help. A) He's not horrible or he'd be playing in a beer league, not the NHL, and B) how is that helpful or descriptive? Horrible at what? How is he horrible? Some people just throw out blanket statements like that and leave it at that. At least explain what he's doing wrong. I'm not pointing the figure at you there, just in general.

Also, what a guys wage is shouldn't factor in to how much critizism we give them. Sorry. Critizism should be based on his job performance and that's it. Not to mention we'd all get paid $500,000 if someone offered us it, because we'd be nuts to turn it down. If your critisism is based on wage, point finger at DL, not the guy who accept what he was offered.

As far him being a kid, make it reletive to the conversation. Legally, no, he's an adult. But in regards to an NHL career, which spans from at most age 18 to 40 (the odd rare case goes longer but 99% of players are done at 40), he is still a kid. He's 24 and in his first ever NHL playoff series. At 24 he's playing with the best of the best. At 24, were you in the top echelon of your career?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I'm not saying don't critize, but make your critic something that makes sense.

Saying "He's horrible" doesn't help. A) He's not horrible or he'd be playing in a beer league, not the NHL, and B) how is that helpful or descriptive? Horrible at what? How is he horrible? Some people just throw out blanket statements like that and leave it at that. At least explain what he's doing wrong. I'm not pointing the figure at you there, just in general.

Also, what a guys wage is shouldn't factor in to how much critizism we give them. Sorry. Critizism should be based on his job performance and that's it. Not to mention we'd all get paid $500,000 if someone offered us it, because we'd be nuts to turn it down. If your critisism is based on wage, point finger at DL, not the guy who accept what he was offered.

As far him being a kid, make it reletive to the conversation. Legally, no, he's an adult. But in regards to an NHL career, which spans from at most age 18 to 40 (the odd rare case goes longer but 99% of players are done at 40), he is still a kid. He's 24 and in his first ever NHL playoff series. At 24 he's playing with the best of the best. At 24, were you in the top echelon of your career?
No, but I'm more than willing to accept criticism with a pay check of 6 digits. If I run a big business and suck at it while earning over a half million dollars, than I will get criticized for it whether I like it or not. Not that Muzzin will care or read anything what has been said over here, but this is part of the business. That doesnt mean he should turn down the money, of course he would be crazy, but it certainly doesnt mean a player should get a free pass. You get paid a lot to perform. If you cant, find another job. So yes, a guys wage is a factor in to how much critizism he should get.

He can go anywhere, tomorrow he can retire if he wants to. I'm not saying he should but he has a choice.

I dont think you can compare this with our silly daily job. I dont want much responsibillity and only work 36 hours a week. Obviously I dont earn much. ;) but at least I dont have to deal with stress, gossip or criticism on the work floor. That's the choice I make. Of course I never had to choose between NHL player or officer (what I'm now) but I'm more talented than what I'm doing now. I'm just damn lazy and like I said, I like my spare time and ''no'' responsibillities. I rather earn less.

Now I can watch Kings games that all start around 3 AM/4 AM.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No, but I'm more than willing to accept criticism with a pay check of 6 digits. If I run a big business and suck at it while earning over a half million dollars, than I will get criticized for it whether I like it or not. Not that Muzzin will care or read anything what has been said over here, but this is part of the business. That doesnt mean he should turn down the money, of course he would be crazy, but it certainly doesnt mean a player should get a free pass. You get paid a lot to perform. If you cant, find another job. So yes, a guys wage is a factor in to how much critizism he should get.

He can go anywhere, tomorrow he can retire if he wants to. I'm not saying he should but he has a choice.

I dont think you can compare this with our silly daily job. I dont want much responsibillity and only work 36 hours a week. Obviously I dont earn much. ;) but at least I dont have to deal with stress, gossip or criticism on the work floor. That's the choice I make. Of course I never had to choose between NHL player or officer (what I'm now) but I'm more talented than what I'm doing now. I'm just damn lazy and like I said, I like my spare time and ''no'' responsibillities. I rather earn less.

Now I can watch Kings games that all start around 3 AM/4 AM.

It's all relative. It's not like Muzzin is at the top of the payscale. You don't think he knows his game has limitations and that there are things he needs to work on in the off season?

The fact that Muzzin isn't the best of the best doesn't mean he is lazy, just less talented. All that being said, I doubt that Jake Muzzin gives a rat's ass about the criticism he gets on a message board. I'm sure he cares tremendously about the constructive criticism he gets from Sutter.

Andrew Knoll

Jun 20, 2007
Los Angeles
thehockeywriters.com
I like the look with 7 D at this point, it gives Sutter options on the back end. If he wants to use Muzzin exclusively on the power play, he can do that. Even once Greene gets back, I kind of like him sliding in for Ellerby and playing primarily PK minutes.

It's also good for what's going on up front. Let's face it, the bottom six has not had the same pop this year, especially the fourth line. Lots of meaningless shifts, some costly mistakes and not the same sense we got when the Kings have had it going in recent years. Now he can drop down guys being underplayed or running hot and get some potency through the whole lineup.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Who cares how much Muzzin makes....All anyone should care about is, if Muzz can get his head into the game and play faster.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Good overall game from him. Some turnovers, but fewer. He also dished out a couple big hits.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

Criticism is fine, I don't think anyone is saying scrutinizing the play of any player is out of bounds. I will say that irrational ranting without any basis in reality or consideration for how the players we bash stand up against their peers is always going to get returned criticism.

Muzzin when compared to every single other rookie Dman is right there among the top 3 in every category. The entire NHL yammering head pundit crew like Muzzin allot and are basing their opinions on how he stands up to his peers (other rookie D in the NHL and now every rookie D who is still playing in the playoffs).

So be critical absolutely, but when people say things like "Scuderi is has become one of the worst Dmen in the NHL" or "Muzzin doesn't belong in the NHL" or things along those lines is of course going to at least inspire a rebuttal.

Muzzin makes some great plays during every game, he had a few big hits last night and made a couple of nice shots too. Of course he almost gave me a heart attack with a couple of boneheaded plays but he is a rookie and he is also improving.

He plays on the Cup Champs that have a pretty regimented system. In a lesser system oriented situation where he could be paired for an entire season with a solid reliable Vet Dman then his mistakes would be fewer and less identifiable (an example is Brodin and Suter in Min).

Muzzin is at best going to be a 3rd pairing mobile dman for us who can play on the PP and in time take some second pairing minutes when needed.

Nothing has changed since before we called him up or when he first got going with the big club this season. He needs time and work but he is clearly an NHL caliber dman who is right up there among the best rookie D in the league.

He may not end up being as talented or valuable as several of the players he is equal to today but then he was never projected to be either.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think Muzzin has performed admirably for a kid. In my world someone without enough experience to do the job at the highest level is a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Oh please..not you again.

If you have nothing to add, just say nothing at all. I'm annoyed because of that nonsense already and than MsWoof must repeat the same exact thing. Go troll the Flyers board again.

You offer very little in constructive analysis or criticism. Muzzin is one of the top six defensemen that the Kings have available at this time.

The kid is giving a solid effort each and every night. He has limitations and Sutter is doing his best to protect him and put him in situations where he can succeed.

I don't know what more you want from the situation. Doughty needs to play with Regehr as much as possible, so Doughty can do what Doughty does.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
He earned his right to be in this position by playing, by all accounts, an incredible rookie season.

You don't kill the kid now.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
He's been worlds better. I don't think he has the pure hockey IQ of DD, VV, or AM but I've noticed he doesn't even pretend to do cross ice passes. It's all along the boards or as safe as possible. He's coachable and that means a whole heck of a lot in the long term.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
He's been worlds better. I don't think he has the pure hockey IQ of DD, VV, or AM but I've noticed he doesn't even pretend to do cross ice passes. It's all along the boards or as safe as possible. He's coachable and that means a whole heck of a lot in the long term.

I agree.

His being coachable is an often overlooked quality. JM's improvement shows that he is listening to his coaches and at least working at improving where he needs to be. Astute observation.

Captain Mittens*

Just lack of experience. He'll get better and panic a little less with more experience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad