Jake Gardiner's Development

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by AK, Jan 23, 2011.

1. AK

AK Registered User

So, I went to Wisconsin's game against Mankato tonight and had an eye on Gardiner from the beginning of the game, being as he was the best prospect on the ice by far. He was Burke's last first rounder in Anaheim and seemed like a great pick, but he still hasn't gone pro. I'm wondering if there's a reason why.

He's clearly a superb skater, again the best on the ice. He made two Mankato players blow tires and fall down with escape moves and had a huge hit on their biggest player. He was able to take the puck away from anyone who challenged him, and he threaded a pass to spring his teammate on a breakaway for the game winner. It looked, honestly, like he was way too good to still be playing NCAA hockey. I know he's not old or anything, but I was looking to see if he would be dominant, and he really was. I was blown away, and I'd bet he could handle himself just fine in the NHL right now.

Is he going pro next year, or is he finishing his school? Am I completely wrong about how good he is?

2. wesott11

wesott11 Registered User

When Burke first drafted him he stressed that Jake would be a long term project. He was contemplating turning pro after last season but decided to stay at Wisconsin for this year. Gardiner will definatly turn pro after this season. Gardiner hasn't been a defenseman for very long, he needed all that time to round out his defensive game. He is one of those cases where 3 year in college is exactly what he needs.

3. McDNicks17

McDNicks17 Moderator

Well, the better D prospects out of the NCAA lately have been playing 3 years in college before turning pro. Maybe they're just following the plans used on Shattenkirk, McBain, Petry, etc.

4. Unholy

Unholy kesbae

Gardiner was supposed to take some time as some have said since he was drafted. He is looking great with Schultz and in a bigger role this year. I think he will finally decide to go pro next year.

5. Bills09

Bills09 Registered User

I think both him and Schultz turn pro, and develop as a pair in the ahl for one year before making the jump

6. Spezza

Spezza Registered User

Good to hear he is developing well. Have a semi interest in his development due to the rumoured Burke interest in EK at the 2008 draft. I do think some players come out of the NCAA too early; be interesting to see if he can make the NHL next year or if he will need a bit of seasoning in the AHL.

7. imbatman

imbatman Registered User

Well supposedly Niedermayer was there tonight, to watch and speak with both of them. That should tell you how highly the Ducks think of these two, as well as their thoughts as far as whether they want them to stay another year.

8. James Franco

James Franco Registered User

I think, like we did with Bonino, we will sign him to a contract at the end of the season, and he will play 8-9 games, and then start in AHL next season, but there is a possibility where he could make the roster out of camp. I see Schultz returning to Wisconsin next year, his offensive game is coming along, but I want his defensive game to be up to par for the pro game.

9. Bills09

Bills09 Registered User

Schultz is leading the WCHA in scoring, I see no reason to continue in a lead he is well above.
    The AHL will be a new challenge, and is a good place to learn defensive hockey.

10. 4thliner*

4thliner* Guest

I remember in the 2008 draft Burke really wanted Erik Karlsson but Murray one pick behind Burke pulled a fast one on him by puling the trigger on the Preds' Poile sending their No. 15 pick to Ottawa for the No. 18 pick and a 3rd round pick in 2009.

11. James Franco

James Franco Registered User

Defensemen in points, or the whole WCHA?

12. 190Octane

190Octane Registered User

I think he leads the NCAA in points by a d-man and isnt that far off of the lead in total points.

13. S.S. Giggy

S.S. Giggy RIP 1974-2011

Home Page:
    Yea, kinda like how when Burke drafted Bobby Ryan. Burke saw Ryan as a long-term project even though he went 2nd overall. Everybody was ready to label him as a bust.

14. Bills09

Bills09 Registered User

15. Sean Garrity

Sean Garrity Quack Quack Quack!

Unfortunately, I haven't been home much to watch Gardiner like I was able to in previous years at Wisconsin. Last season, the offense was basically up to Brendan Smith and Justin Schultz from the backend and Gardiner was the "shutdown" guy. I always felt that Eaves had a leash on Gardiner because they had enough offense from the backend with Smith and Schultz. This year, he is doing exactly what I expected as he has increased his scoring (once again I'm assuming Eaves loosened the leash on him) while keeping his stellar defensive play.

Last season Schultz was pretty suspect defensively, the Mike Green of that team per se (don't be offended about the Green comment please) and I imagine his defense has gotten better this season as he is on the top pairing with Gardiner.

Hopefully we get a set of "twins" on the backend now with Gardiner-Schultz going pro next season and being paired together in the A before making the jump the year after. The chemistry strategy worked well with Getzlaf-Perry so why not try it on defense?

16. LeSouder

LeSouder Registered User

I drafted Gardiner in a keeper league prior to last season and was disappointed with his offensive production in college until this season. I don't get to watch the college games but I suspect he was used primarily in a defensive role until this season where he has been allowed to show his offensive prowl. He was a forward initially as some have mentioned so he's been working his D game. Be interesting to see if he challenges Fowler down the road.

17. Hawktopus

Hawktopus Registered User

Definitely going to have to get at least 80 AHL games from him before he makes the jump. Maybe a handful of NHL games to get his feet wet.

Would really like to see these kids get a call up to be on the reserve team Black Aces for the playoffs ;)

18. HanSolo

HanSolo Vegas Strong

Have you seen cam fowler and luca Sbisa play. And you have can you comapare or say how close he is to them?