Jake Gardiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Gards has been solid this year. His physical play in his own end and along the boards in particular has impressed me the most. The offense will come. Not worried about that at all.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Something called poise is very difficult to build without being surrounded by vets or extremely good defenseman. Look at Jones playing in Nashville, it's because Weber is helping him out in the plays and is surrounded by Norris Trophy winner which helps raise your Moral.

Gardiner is playing with Franson who can not handle his own mistakes. We all saw what Gardier can do when he is playing with Phanuef last season. Gardiner is absolutely leafs until a good RHD coming back.

IIRC correctly Gardiner-Phaneuf was axed after 1-2 games because of how bad that experiment was (even though Kostka/Holzer-Phaneuf were a million times worse and stayed together for far longer than that).

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Just watching Gardiner, you know he's a special talent. That's why so many teams call Nonis about him. The points will come. I'd like to see him on the first PP unit with Franson instead of Phaneuf who doesn't seem to bring much anymore on the PP as a quarterback.

He's been very good, especially in the last few games. Got to hang onto this kid.

mikebel111*

Only saw 1 mistake from him yesterday.
Pretty solid. The points will.come for him. Love this kid
He was only like a minute off in TOI yesterday from dion. He is gaining confidence of randy. Since he got put into normal side, he has been really good.

With that being said, he needs to shoot more. The fake slapshot things scare me. Which im sure the coaching will instill in him

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He looks like he is looking for the perfect play when he rushes the puck.

If he has said his shot isn't good enough, that is probably the reason he isn't putting the puck on the net during these rushes.

You can develop a better shot, and coaching can get him to shoot more.

Perhaps he needs permission to shoot, the mental green light so to speak.

How old was Burns when they turned him?

Some players and coaches just do not fit, stylistically. I wonder is this why Anaheim included Gardiner in the Lupul deal and not Schultz. We know Burke wanted Justin but was rebuked by Murray, wonder what Carlyle had in that say.

Regardless, he does get very little out of his talents. Where Franson gets points off of far less obvious talents.

We know what makes Gardiner a valuable trade piece or prospect(23?) is this perceived offensive potential.

Delicious Dangles*

We know what makes Gardiner a valuable trade piece or prospect(23?) is this perceived offensive potential.
That is far from the only thing that makes Gardiner special.

Plus, he has been spectacular over the 2nd half of this season, in every area of the game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That is far from the only thing that makes Gardiner special.

Plus, he has been spectacular over the 2nd half of this season, in every area of the game.

Explain spectacular, by that I mean don't make a blanket statement without quantifying it.

Spectacular: causing wonder and admiration : very impressive

A single dramatic production of unusual length or lavishness.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Gardiner has been very good defensively the past many games, our third best for sure. That said, I'd play Rielly a bit more to see if trading Gardiner is a viable option right now. I'd still like to hold onto him and see if he will offensively produce this year.

Delicious Dangles*

Explain spectacular, by that I mean don't make a blanket statement without quantifying it.

Spectacular: causing wonder and admiration : very impressive

A single dramatic production of unusual length or lavishness.
Elite skating, elite poise, elite vision, excellent defensively, excellent breakout pass, excellent rushing, excellent on the PP, more physical, excellent instincts of when to jump in, playing top minutes against harder competition, etc.

Best defenseman after Phaneuf.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Elite skating, elite poise, elite vision, excellent defensively, excellent breakout pass, excellent rushing, excellent on the PP, more physical, excellent instincts of when to jump in, playing top minutes against harder competition, etc.

Best defenseman after Phaneuf.

That's just an opinion, your statement is not backed up since he was a healthy scratch and playing for the Marlies for most of the second half of last season, thus I asked you to explain your spectacular comment.

This is simply not an accurate comment.

Delicious Dangles*

That's just an opinion, your statement is not backed up since he was a healthy scratch and playing for the Marlies for most of the second half of last season, thus I asked you to explain your spectacular comment.
I did explain the spectacular comment. Your opinion isn't backed up either. Why is yours worth more, especially when you have obvious agendas against certain players and for certain players, and it goes against the eye test?

He was recovering from a concussion last year, and was our best defenseman in the playoffs. Also, I said THIS YEAR, not last. Gardiner plays the 2nd most time on our team at even strength this year, 9 seconds less than Phaneuf.

Morlu

Nov 4, 2011

This is simply not an accurate comment.

I second his opinion... Besides Phaneuf I feel he has been our best defenceman. There's very little he doesn't do well and his speed allows him to recover from the mistakes he makes.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He's been very good, I agree with those saying he's been our 2nd best dman after Phaneuf. I also feel that he has TONNES of upside left, he's just 23 (very young for a dman), has only played 107 NHL games, and his natural talents are clearly outstanding (crazy good skater, good with the puck in general, good size, pretty good defensive instincts).

He's a guy we should be looking to keep around long term, no questions asked. In a few years time I can see Rielly/Phaneuf as the top pairing, with Gardiner being a fantastic #3 dman who can carry our 2nd pairing. I love teams built around 3 top notch dmen, like Keith/Seabrook and Campbell in Chicago, or Pronger/Niedermayer and Beauchemin in Anaheim. We have a chance to have a really excellent top 3 as long as we simply hold on to Rielly and Gardiner, and let them develop into the high end players they could become.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
He's been very good, I agree with those saying he's been our 2nd best dman after Phaneuf. I also feel that he has TONNES of upside left, he's just 23 (very young for a dman), has only played 107 NHL games, and his natural talents are clearly outstanding (crazy good skater, good with the puck in general, good size, pretty good defensive instincts).

He's a guy we should be looking to keep around long term, no questions asked. In a few years time I can see Rielly/Phaneuf as the top pairing, with Gardiner being a fantastic #3 dman who can carry our 2nd pairing. I love teams built around 3 top notch dmen, like Keith/Seabrook and Campbell in Chicago, or Pronger/Niedermayer and Beauchemin in Anaheim. We have a chance to have a really excellent top 3 as long as we simply hold on to Rielly and Gardiner, and let them develop into the high end players they could become.

But apparently this is "old". I didn't think so either, but the almighty HF master has already ruled on this in this thread once already.

He's old.
:laugh:

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
He's been very good defensively, I've been really impressed with him in that regard. The offense will come soon. It doesn't matter though, he'll never escape from Interactif's doghouse, once you enter you can never escape.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I'm really surprised he only has 4 points in 20 GP this season. His play is far more noticeable -- and in a good way -- on the ice.

He's always been good defensively, though, and that continues this year - despite having nearing no point production, he's +3 this year, which is excellent.

Perhaps the explanation for his poor point production this year is his much different role. Last year, he had 48.4% offensive zone starts - the most out of all Leafs defencemen except JML who barely eked him out. This year, he has the second least offensive zone starts on the team at 44.5%.

In other words, the coach insulated him last year, and this year, he is being used in the trickier role of breaking the puck out of the defensive zone. He is, however, being deployed against fairly weak opposition (the weakest of any defenceman).

Jake Gardiner is being used at his strength, which is skating out of the zone. I'm fine with the point production as long as he's helping us defensively, which he definitely is. Kind of ironic, no?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He needs to get the puck to the net instead of looking for the perfect pass. Everything else has been fantastic.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Jake needs to learn that sometimes a good first pass is a more viable option then just rushing the puck into the opponents zone. Not saying he should give it up completely, but it'll lead to far less turnovers.

Secondly, he needs to SHOOT!! I can't tell you how many times i've screamed shoot jake shoot and he ends up passing the puck or delaying too much and going with the poor shot choice. Maybe he's unselfish, maybe he does't think he has the shot. His slapper isn't anything to be proud of but his wrister is wicked-accurate. He needs to learn to let that baby go without too much hesitation.

Thirdly, pinches. A lot of times it leads to a 2-1/3-1 going the other way. These are all mistakes a young D-man will make but if he could correct these...omg next Danny Boyle fosho'.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I am loving the way Gardiner is getting around the ice. Seems to be starting to figure out when he can take a risk, and how much of a risk he can recover from now.

Biggest downside is his slap of the stick fake shot. Haha

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Gards seems too nervous to cut to the middle when he rushes in the opposition zone and always ducks wide .. Problem being as said above, he doesn't shoot .. He circles around looking for the perfect pass

If he would at least recognize when he has no help and just get something on net for an offensive zone start, that will open things up .. Right now I'd said teams have a book on him to just force him wide and close the passing lanes so he has nowhere to go

He also needs to shoot more on the PP .. No more fake slappers, maybe try a one-timer now and then

Hopefully he gets stronger and works on his shot over the next couple of years .. That's probably the biggest thing holding him back and maybe making him hesitate in the offensive zone

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I did explain the spectacular comment. Your opinion isn't backed up either. Why is yours worth more, especially when you have obvious agendas against certain players and for certain players, and it goes against the eye test?

He was recovering from a concussion last year, and was our best defenseman in the playoffs. Also, I said THIS YEAR, not last. Gardiner plays the 2nd most time on our team at even strength this year, 9 seconds less than Phaneuf.

According to you our 2nd most spectacular defenceman in the second part of last season was a healthy scratch, and was playing with the Marlies for much of the time before being called up. lol I love the logic. Sorry, if you are going to discuss hockey with me, you need to bring more than that.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
According to you our 2nd most spectacular defenceman in the second part of last season was a healthy scratch, and was playing with the Marlies for much of the time before being called up. lol I love the logic. Sorry, if you are going to discuss hockey with me, you need to bring more than that.

Kind of like your logic that the healthy scratch Rielly makes Gardiner expendable;)

Discussing hockey with you at times is like banging your head on the wall. Your not open to discuss things that don't meat your train of the thought that counters YOUR OPINIONS.

Here's one Gardiner > Rielly this season and it's not even close but I'm sure your going to counter with......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad