Jake Gardiner vs Tyson Barrie

Tyson Barrie vs Jake Gardiner

• Total voters

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Nostalgia is a bad drug, Barrie is so much better than Gardiner imo post-Babcock. Dermott is worse than both I feel which doesn't help Barrie.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
As much as I criticise Barrie and wanted Kyle to trade him at the deadline (partly because he's going to be a UFA), I'd take Barrie easily over Gardiner and its not even close. Barrie has had his share of bad mistakes, but not nearly as many as Gardiner has had especially at important times during a game. Also Barrie is far better than Jake offensively so if you're going to have a not so good defensive Dman on your team, at least let him be good offensively to compensate a fair bit and Barrie does that.

I actually wouldn't mind having Barrie back on the team, but 100% I wouldn't want him back at anywhere near what he's asking for money wise.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I've been complaining about Gards defense for years, but Barrie's play in his own zone actually makes me realize how much worse Jake could have been.

Barrie as a forward, Jake as a last resort. Pass on both.

Edit: And holy smokes did Av's fans overrate the hell out of him.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Barrie looks like a high end forward stuck on defense and as nice as his package of skating and puckhandling is, he doesn't really create that much offense and is a real adventure defensively.

Gardiner in hindsight was a much better transition defenseman who could reliably lug the puck up quite a bit, but suffered from catastrophic meltdowns under physical forechecking which was his ultimate undoing here in Toronto.

I think people are going to be more likely to pick Barrie based on recency bias but if and when he leaves we probably won't miss either too much.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I've been complaining about Gards defense for years, but Barrie's play in his own zone actually makes me realize how much worse Jake could have been.

Barrie as a forward, Jake as a last resort. Pass on both.

Edit: And holy smokes did Av's fans overrate the hell out of him.
Jake tended to have occasional brain farts that would end up on the highlight real. It was obviously very frustrating, especially when it happened in key moments. But, shift to shift he was significantly better than Barrie.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Gardiner was far better for this team, although both are rather different type of players.

On the defensive side, Gardiner would have one or two major blunders per game, as in the Carolina game on this past Saturday, however he tends to clean it up in the 3rd period. Gardiner's biggest weakness is he does not hold up to intense playoffs type of forechecking.

On the defensive side, Barrie would have one or two major blunders every two periods of a game usually. Sometimes he cuts it down to one. Barrie's biggest weakness is he does not hold up to any type of forechecking.

On the offensive side, Gardiner put up points, and joined the rush supporting the big play makers on the team, Gardiner had the speed to get into the play.

On the offensive side, Barrie does not join the rush and does not support the rush at all because he's too slow for this team. What Barrie is really good at is reading the offensive plays that develop when there is a cycle and he is always ready at the blueline for the point shot which he has an excellent one.

Notice lately the Leafs generally generate zero offense most of the time? The forecheck only around 5 players do that, the stretch pass was fired when Babcock was fired, and no rush chances because no one is supporting the rush from the back as Rielly is out and Gardiner is gone.

Tonight the Leafs beat the Lightning, which the 4th line doing the forecheck and point shot for a goal, then two power play goals, and a goal off the face off from the puck retrieval skills of Nylander. Nylander was a total take no nonsense mofo' thug tonight.

No rush chances from the breakout, none, zero.

It is kind of dumb, of how this team is told to play and how they are actually scoring.

That's Dubas understanding of the game, and this team.

:deadhorse

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Both are/were very good, albeit, imperfect players.

Gardiner has back issues, so has fallen down a cliff.

Tyson Barrie got awful to a horrendous start under Babcock which unfortunately set the tone for the remainder of his tenure here.

To his credit, he’s kept a head on shoulders, and has had positive results since the coaching change.

he’s gotten better as the season has gone on, which is nice.

Tonight he looked very sold honestly. If he could play that way consistently, I think people would have less issues.

Reactions: stopclickbait

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
You are going to see a dynamic Barrie in the playoffs.

He will redeem himself.

Without him we are back to the non puck moving RD guys like Ozhiganov Zaitsev and Hainsey.

Hugh Jass

Dec 23, 2019
Jake tended to have occasional brain farts that would end up on the highlight real. It was obviously very frustrating, especially when it happened in key moments. But, shift to shift he was significantly better than Barrie.
I understand how polarizing Jake was, but was always a big fan. I think his brain never caught up to his talent.
He would make 10 or 12 plays a game not too many guys could make, but the bad plays were soooo bad. And ill timed.

Im by no means a scout, but early on in his career, i remember thinking he could be really special. Just the skating ability, elusivity? Is that a word? Just never put eveything together. My opinion.

So i go with 51.

Hugh Jass

Dec 23, 2019
2016/17- 2018/19, 5 vs 5, GA/60 of the Leafs
Gardiner- 2.01
Hainsey- 2.49
Zaitsev- 2.64
Rielly- 2.83

If Gardiner was so terrible defensively, then why did the team allowed significantly fewer goals against when he was on ice compare to the rest of the Leafs' top 4 for the most part of the last 3 seasons? You can make a case the Gardiner was guilty of making that occasional, costly turnover but for the large part of the Babcock era Leafs, Gardiner was a very competent 2nd pairing D on offence, defence and especially on the transition.

As for Gardiner being a perennial playoff choke, well that wasn't a thing until his horrible game 7 against Boston 2 seasons ago, prior to that, he actually had a more than decent performance against a very tough Caps team a season prior and was arguably the Leafs best D against the Bruins prior to his game 7 meltdown. I'm not sure how much stock we can put during last year's playoffs as Gardiner was clearly nursing a serious injury and from what I gathered about his performance this season thus far, he hasn't gotten back to his old pre-injury self ever since, but that shouldn't take away from what he actually achieved during his more productive years with the Leafs.
He was outstanding in that first series against boston. I had so much hope for him.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Gardiner was the better player for us - arguably on both ends of the ice. Offensively both rank as true top pairing defencemen, easily top 30 in the league. Defensively, Gardiner had above average results against slightly easier competition than Barrie, who is atrocious in that category.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Here's how I would rank the Leafs defencemen of the past two years defensively:

Muzzin
Gardiner
Hainsey/Dermott/Holl/Ceci
Ozhiganov
Rielly
Barrie
Zaitsev

Last edited:
Reactions: mulefarm

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Gards pre back injury was a solid two way D.

Watching him this year you can see why he didnt get what was expected. Looks like a shell of himself out there.
Until recently, he had 5 points in 2 games before the NHL paused. Jake has made 2 major turnovers that have led to goals this season. He made one against Boston in December and then one recently. He’s not a consistent problem on defense, when he does turn the puck over he’ll take it right back. He had 2 points against the Penguins while playing 15 minutes and 3 assists against the RedWings playing 13 minutes. He has 12 powerplay points playing on the 2nd powerplay unit.. He is going through what Dougie Hamilton went through last season with the Canes. Both of them had slow starts and got better later in the season.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Gardiner was better. But I also think Barrie is better than the beaten down shell of a defensemen Gardiner has become the past two seasons.

His play in Carolina has been underwhelming and nagging injuries seem to have detracted from him skating ability.

Barrie on the other hand has been worse than advertised but still effective as an offense first defensemen(ignoring that nauseatingly bad stretch under Babcock) He was definitely over utilized with Rielly and Muzzin injured but that was out of necessity.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not sure if it's just all the years of watching his brain farts vs 1 but Gardiner made me more nervous than anyone before or since among 20 minute D we've had lately.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nostalgia is a bad drug, Barrie is so much better than Gardiner imo post-Babcock. Dermott is worse than both I feel which doesn't help Barrie.
Barrie is very likely the worst defensive defender in the entire NHL. Anyone who plays with him suffers defensively-Dermy, Sandin and Rielly all suffered. I am going to surprise most here but there is a chance Dermy wins da Norris in another 7-8 years. He is still a baby learning da game. But he has da raw skills - he can skate, he is strong and he is fearless.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
I'd say Gardiner, because I came to expect and know what he was. That the errors came as they did and it was what he was. And we got him for a UFA d-man signing along with Lupul, which was a very good trade.

Barrie, on the flip side, pending UFA with so much to prove, fairly heavy price ... I guess I expected a lot more.

That said, I'm not being revisionist here. I was over Gardiner by the time last year ended. Just didn't plan on him being replaced by a player not any better + paying quite a bit to get that equal/inferior replacement.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad