Jake Gardiner tops first grouping of HF's Top 50 NHL prospects

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It's incredibly frustrating how people fail to really understand how this list works. Every. Year.

It's not about who's doing what at the NHL level. It's what they think his top potential is.

The "rankers" believe Gardiner's potential at this point is a tad higher than McDonagh, not because Gardiner is better than McDonagh right now but he probably will be in the (near) future.

You can surely disagree with the ranking if you believe that McDonagh has a better ceiling but seems like the only argument I've seen from the angry Rangers fans is that because McDonagh is at the NHL level, it makes him a better prospect automatically.

mcdonagh has an elite combination of size and skating at the nhl level. combine that with an already good understanding of the defenseman position and hes a great prospect. this is only reinforced by getting top 4 minutes in the NHL and being a +17 or so in like 40 games.

RogerRoeper*

It's true...but this one is kind of timely. Gardiner always struck me as basically irrelevant until he got traded to Toronto. Whether I'm right or wrong to think that way...I dunno. But I can't blame anyone for finding it "interesting" that as soon as he gets traded to Toronto he gets into this list. Considering these lists are always criticized for bias and what not....

You should. He went from 13 points to 41 this year. Makes sense he made the list this year and not last year.

And besides, HF has had no problem ranking Leaf prospects very low for years.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The list is based off your individual teams top 20 prospects list, right?

So if team A has a player listed as their #3 overall prospect and their #2 overall prospect is already on the list, there is no chance that that #3 overall prospect makes the top 50, right?

Parise09*

You should be more upset about the player at #48 than Gardiner.

IMO Elliot could be higher, but definitely not lower. IMO he has higher upside than either Gardiner or McDonoukjashdfs (sp?)

Parise09*

So if team A has a player listed as their #3 overall prospect and their #2 overall prospect is already on the list, there is no chance that that #3 overall prospect makes the top 50, right?

Yeah, I think that's correct.

Parise09*

mcdonagh has an elite combination of size and skating at the nhl level. combine that with an already good understanding of the defenseman position and hes a great prospect. this is only reinforced by getting top 4 minutes in the NHL and being a +17 or so in like 40 games.

This word gets thrown around far too often.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Beyond the Gardiner-McDonagh debate--it is really hard for me to believe that all of the 49 mentioned before McDonagh are going to turn out to be better. Really hard. The guy is performing as a top 4 d-man as 21 year old and he looks like he's been in the league for several years. He's calm, steady, skates great backwards, forwards, laterally, physical, great positionally. Pretty much solid as a rock. He's going to be around for a lot of years but have to think as well that he's going to be even better a few years from now.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It's incredibly frustrating how people fail to really understand how this list works. Every. Year.

It's not about who's doing what at the NHL level. It's what they think his top potential is.

The "rankers" believe Gardiner's potential at this point is a tad higher than McDonagh, not because Gardiner is better than McDonagh right now but he probably will be in the (near) future.

You can surely disagree with the ranking if you believe that McDonagh has a better ceiling but seems like the only argument I've seen from the angry Rangers fans is that because McDonagh is at the NHL level, it makes him a better prospect automatically.

His ceiling is certainly higher than Gardiners. Getting about 19-20 minutes a game as our #3 with a +17 I believe, in 35 games... Yeah the kid has a high ceiling.

vezna*

His ceiling is certainly higher than Gardiners. Getting about 19-20 minutes a game as our #3 with a +17 I believe, in 35 games... Yeah the kid has a high ceiling.
any rookie dman would look good playing in front of lundqvist

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston

Normally things go that way, and we did try to adhere to that loosely, but there are a few exceptions.

NorthlandPro

Nov 22, 2007
Suwanee GA
You are acting like Mcdonagh was a beast in the NCAA.

Gardiner's in the NCAA was a more dominant player than Ryan. There is a reason why the Habs traded him, he made progress, but at times his head coach in the NCAA was saying he was playing quite bad for a 2nd year player and 3rd yar player.

McDonagh is playing a safe game but Gardiner's upside is way better than McDo.

And we all know I don't like the Leafs, but Gardiner's skills are on another level dude. Stop being a homer.

LMAO! I guess Canadian fans will forever diminish McDonagh's ability. He could be rated 1,000 and it still doesn't change the fact that this guy is a player, a very good player. If Montreal seriously thought this guy wasn't progressing then there are serious issues with their personnel staff. The fact that he is rated #50 tells more about the analysis that was done and how creditable it was. Way off. We will gladly keep the 50th ranked former prospect who is now a top 4 NHL Defenseman! :handclap:

habsjunkie2*

LMAO! I guess Canadian fans will forever diminish McDonagh's ability. He could be rated 1,000 and it still doesn't change the fact that this guy is a player, a very good player. If Montreal seriously thought this guy wasn't progressing then there are serious issues with their personnel staff. The fact that he is rated #50 tells more about the analysis that was done and how creditable it was. Way off. We will gladly keep the 50th ranked former prospect who is now a top 4 NHL Defenseman! :handclap:

It's a way for my fellow habs fans to accept the horrible Gomez trade. They forget that McDonagh was neck and neck with PK Subban as our number 1 prospect. Many people had McDonagh ahead of PK, but to make themselves feel better and possibly explain the trade they hang onto the belief that McDonagh must of fallen out of grace with the Habs organization or Gainey would of never made the deal. I just think BG screwed the pooch on this deal, plain and simple.

The deal has more a reflection of a GM in panic mode then it was of Ryan McDonagh's lack of progression. The Rangers have a keeper imo.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
You're kidding, right? Points mean nothing, really, as they are different d-men.

McDonagh was a rock defensively and an anchor with whoever he played with. And he's already doing the same in the NHL.

Gardiner, while a nice prospect, has never been very good defensively and needs quite a bit of work. McDonagh is a better prospect now and has always been the better prospect.

Oh...well nevermind guys the debate is over now.

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
What does that have to do with anything though? It doesn't take away the fact he had his best season yet and went from 13 points to 41 in the same amount of games.

no arguments, but id still bet he wouldnt be there if he was a Ducks prospect.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Gardiner has the ceiling of Tom Gilbert.

Joke list

Good thing we have your astute analysis proving you know better.

There are more tears being shed in this thread than in a kindergarten classroom.

Better prepare for the selections to come.

211_kleenex.jpg

Dylbot

Sep 10, 2009
Normally things go that way, and we did try to adhere to that loosely, but there are a few exceptions.

Why do it that way? I thought this was supposed to be a list of the 50 best prospects, regardless of what team they belong to.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

There are more tears being shed in this thread than in a kindergarten classroom.

211_kleenex.jpg

This forum will explode when Colborne and Kadri are named. Gonna be great.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
How will the McDonagh fans react if Aulie and Reimer are not high on the list? With similar outrage, I hope, since the argument in favour of them would be the same. Except it would be much stronger in the case of Reimer.

Hawks10

Mar 26, 2010

Yeah but those top 20 lists are getting re-done as well...

Zap Brannigan

May 23, 2004

211_kleenex.jpg

Well I am smarter then anyone from Ontario. Not that its hard to be though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->