Jake Gardiner tops first grouping of HF's Top 50 NHL prospects

Oroku Saki*

Avs and Devils really need to make a trade soon. We could use one of your PMD and we got tons of big two way prospects and some solid forward depth like Henrique, Vasyunov, Palmieri, Tedenby, Josefson.

I like the list, thought Elliot would be a little lower.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
shocker that as soon as Gardiner leaves the Ducks he makes this list.

Well considering the last time this list was made he was coming off a brutal sophomore season and just started the beginning of what was a PPG season im not surprised that he wasnt on it. Now he comes off a PPG NCAA season and started off his pro career on a high note.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
shocker that as soon as Gardiner leaves the Ducks he makes this list.

You didn't learn from Tangradi? I'd love to see if Shultz even makes the top 50. I won't bet on it, despite him outplaying Gardiner as a sophomore. I hope I'm wrong.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well considering the last time this list was made he was coming off a brutal sophomore season and just started the beginning of what was a PPG season im not surprised that he wasnt on it. Now he comes off a PPG NCAA season and started off his pro career on a high note.

Gardiner's season wasn't bad at all his sophomore year, he was just used in a strictly shutdown role, with none other than Ryan McDonagh. And that argument also falls apart when Justin Schultz, who definitely had a better year than Gardiner, and as a sophomore no less, is found to be left off this list.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

Goes to show you never watched him. :laugh:

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site
Gardiner's season wasn't bad at all his sophomore year, he was just used in a strictly shutdown role, with none other than Ryan McDonagh. And that argument also falls apart when Justin Schultz, who definitely had a better year than Gardiner, and as a sophomore no less, is found to be left off this list.

I thought his shopmore season was mediocre. Gardiner is a fine prospect and I've always liked him but he is far from being elite. He will end up being a #3 or #4 defenseman. His shopmore season was important for his development as a D but if he would have elite skills he would have scored more especially or a 2-way D.

There is nothing wrong with him. He is just not as good as the Toronto folks think but he is def. better that he was handled by this board while he was a Ducks prospect.

Madic

May 21, 2008
There is nothing wrong with him. He is just not as good as the Toronto folks think but he is def. better that he was handled by this board while he was a Ducks prospect.
I don't really get this sentiment. I don't really see too many Leafs fans saying "OMG top pairing PPQB ROFLOL" or anything. Most have now had a couple chances to see him on the Marlies and know what he brings. It's nice to have a prospect who can rush the puck and make outlet passes without crapping the bed. One who can apparently play good defense at the pro level already. Beyond that I don't think there's much expectation for big numbers.

Dutch Dreams

Sep 20, 2009
I don't really get this sentiment. I don't really see too many Leafs fans saying "OMG top pairing PPQB ROFLOL" or anything. Most have now had a couple chances to see him on the Marlies and know what he brings. It's nice to have a prospect who can rush the puck and make outlet passes without crapping the bed. One who can apparently play good defense at the pro level already. Beyond that I don't think there's much expectation for big numbers.

...and this is what we needed after the Kaberle trade - a guy talented enough to play an offensive role comfortably within top-four minutes, preferably alongside Schenn, who was Kaberle's defensive-partner, and Gardiner as a left-hander is ideal. Gunnarsson is a solid two-way guy, but he's not so offensively inclined to compensate for the loss of Kaberle. Phaneuf, returning to form, is still our only legitimate offensive defenseman, so what we need is another guy to play such a role, especially on the powerplay where we especially lack that talent, Lashoff being given minutes lately. It would be great to have instead a guy who is certainly more overtly talented, such as a Fowler, but I am at least happy with a guy who seems to have enough talent to play a legitimate top-four offensive role, as a PPG college player and first-round pick, and seemingly no huge flaws in his game, although no huge upside. Gardiner is a good top-four offensive defenseman prospect, and that's what we need. If ultimately the guy can put up 30-35 points while playing the second powerplay unit and consistently leading the rush up ice while also playing a reasonable defensive game, then this guy is worth it. A guy like McDonagh may even have outperformed Gardiner to an extent, but a guy like that is playing a more defensive role. Gardiner is a more valuable prospect.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Dont be a homer bro, Mcdonagh had 18 points in 43 games in his third year in NCAA while Gardiner had 41 points in 41 games in his third year.
Nothing against Ryan mcdonagh he is a pretty good prospect but give credit were credit is due (in your case Gardiner)

Points wont matter, Patrick Wiercioch had 35 points in 36 games as a rookie in the NCAA but will be left odd the list entirely. Gardiner hasnt done anything to prove he is a better prospect and his College coach was pretty unsure of his ability to even reach the NHL. Now we are going to be told how great a prospect he is from several annoying Leaf fans that post alot on this board and will all use this as reference.

vezna*

Points wont matter, Patrick Wiercioch had 35 points in 36 games as a rookie in the NCAA but will be left odd the list entirely. Gardiner hasnt done anything to prove he is a better prospect and his College coach was pretty unsure of his ability to even reach the NHL. Now we are going to be told how great a prospect he is from several annoying Leaf fans that post alot on this board and will all use this as reference.
don't need to. he's playing well for the marlies.

Markus078

Feb 26, 2003
Austria
Visit site

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
If Elliot is 48th that probably means Marincin didn't make the cut. Looks like the only way the Oilers will have any prospect in the top 50 is if one of Hall or Eberle didn't graduate due to games played(they both suffered injuries).

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Goes to show you never watched him. :laugh:

ya ill be the first to admit that i never watched him until he was a Leaf prospect:laugh: i had no idea who he was. Im just assuming that as a 2-way D with great offensive tools, 13 points in 41 games was a down year

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Honestly, after reading about him i wasn't so excited and really even doubted he would make the NHL. But after i actually watched him, IMO he was absolutely underrated in Anaheim. A 20 year old with elite skating ability, a good shot, creativity with the puck on the rush, a good defensive game and decent physicality. The only thing i noticed is he has good defensive awareness and great awareness on the rush, but as soon as he enters the offensive zone he seems like he doesnt know what to do? Am i the only one who noticed this?

Jerky Leclerc

Feb 27, 2002
Anaheim
Visit site
The only thing i noticed is he has good defensive awareness and great awareness on the rush, but as soon as he enters the offensive zone he seems like he doesnt know what to do? Am i the only one who noticed this?

Didn't his coach at Wisconsin say the same thing. I noticed that at Ducks rookie camp last year. He looks great rushing the puck up the ice but then he looks quite uncomfortable with it in the offensive zone. Strange too considering he is used to be a forward. The Ducks had a similar player in Brendan Mikkelsson who never panned out for the Ducks.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The full write-ups will be posted at the Top 50 page as they always are, but not until the full list has been released. A little different this time, but in the end, there will be more information than usual.

While you work on the write ups, maybe you should work on the list. A guy whos been so solid at the NHL level is behind 9 other guys who either haven't even had their cup of tea yet or cant consistently stay up.

There is no way Mcdonagh can be at 50 and Gardiner at 41.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->