Speculation: Jake Gardiner hasn't had a shot on net this season.

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
shooting isn't his job , he's been real solid at doing his job of stopping the other team from scoring . He's only been on for 2 goals , The superstar has been on for 9 of the oppositions 19 goals .

Mostly because the other team simply missed after Jake handed something on a golden (not only silver) platter to them.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
dZS% -- Defensive Zone Start % at Even Strength
Defensive Zone Faceoffs / (Offensive Zone Faceoffs + Defensive Zone Faceoffs),
that took place while on the ice
Yeah, I am really surprised at that.

The coaches have noticed, Hainsey is done.

Last season, chart like this would have been impossible.

Gardiner and Zaitsev are the go to pairing for defense, who would have thought that.

Zaitsev at 64% own zone faceoffs, means he plays every shift with his face along the glass in his own zone.

However, something fake about these stats. What about neutral zone faceoffs? I doubt Zaitsev has much faceoffs where he lines up on the opposition blue line.

Thanks for posting that. That will give the usual suspects some indigestion.

More denial will be necessary going forward.

:propeller

Last edited:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
shooting isn't his job , he's been real solid at doing his job of stopping the other team from scoring . He's only been on for 2 goals , The superstar has been on for 9 of the oppositions 19 goals .
Hear, hear!

That's all that matters.

Even with Gardiner's occasional early game gaffes, which is does not do generally late in the game, he still competes.

One play in the Detroit game with the bouncing puck, the Detroit guy got by him, but not completely, and Gardiner's backcheck meant a dangerous chance, had no chance.

A defenceman on the ice for 2 goals against after 5 games on a team who probably is near the top in goals allowed - he's doing his job!

Anyone who thinks otherwise, is in denial, or have some advanced stat so advanced mere hockey fans cannot even begin to comprehend that kind of statistical awesomeness!

:baghead:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I don't get speculation in the title of the thread...

How about Fact... he doesn't have a shot on net, but he's playing some solid D.

He'll get some points soon... probably get around 40 something ... make the odd bonehead play... and still be better than most the options we have.

We have middle of the pack D. It'll sort itself out soon enough. Teams will start tightening up.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
We have all learned, that considerably less poontang, can really hamper your SHOT TOTALS. ;)

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
What the heck is going on with this guy?

Has something carried over from Game 7?

He has been off base, off putting, and off line.

If he is a team player, then he better get his head straight. If he's not, then he has to stop committing career suicide. He is an UFA next season and you would hope that he cares about getting paid.

I am sorry but I'll always be a Jake Gardiner detractor. I will not hide my position about him or get accused of trolling.

He needs to be a lot better...

His give aways are of epic proportions, it's a toss up between him and Kadri will make the most mental
mistakes per game.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Guy has a 1 month old baby. Let's cut him some slack before ripping his head off 5 games into the season.

Has he been bad? Yes. Does it matter at the moment? No.
Agreed. I swear people assume all NHL players are robots.

Reactions: Morgs

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Jake only had 15 games all of last year where he didn't get a SOG, and only two consecutively.

I don't know if game 7 ****ed with his head or if it was his marriage.

rocky.gif

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Agreed. I swear people assume all NHL players are robots.

When fans like yourself become apologists grasping on to any information, and at the same time willfully ignoring poor play; I too wonder about who might be robotic.

I love Leo Komarov, but I never made excuses for the guy last season.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
The thing with Gardiner is that he’s not going to fix his defensive miscues... at this point that’s who he is. And he’s still a valuable player, because he can put up a ton of points.

Only, he’s clearly off in the offensive side of things as well now.

Needs to get his shit together. I can sympathize with being a new dad- having your mind elsewhere, not sleeping enough... but I also don’t get paid millions, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad