Injury Report: Jake Gardiner has concussion symptoms

Bigleaf

Jun 21, 2008
Nice to see his teammates come to his defense. :shakehead

sit him out until camp in september.

Oh how I miss the good old days when instant justice was meted out. Someone should have jumped that ****er and pummeled him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Didn't look like much of a hit, and wasn't a penalty IMO. Porter was just finishing his check.

I hate this "concussion-like" crap. They didn't fool anybody with Reimer, why keep doing this?

Hopefully this doesn't linger.

Morlesio14*

Concussions happen to players a lot. No reason why he shouldn't return in 2-4 weeks.

Morlesio14*

I'm actually very very nervous. Hopefully it will be a speedy full recovery.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If it was a fair hit, no reason to jump him.

Actually it's a good idea to beat the hell out of the opponent for throwing a big hit whenever it comes so they don't attempt to throw momentum changing or player hurting hits, legal or not.

member 147413

This is why we need Orr/Komarov/Rosehill on the marlies. Send a message to those that try to make the big hits.

Orr can't play with the Marlies.

Komarov doesn't intimidate.

Rosehill sucked at everything.

Devane should be filling in that role, he'll beat the living crap out of anyone and he can play.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
How is it that under Burke we don't seem to have any truculence either in the NHL or in the AHL? Isn't that what he was preaching from day one?

What a joke, no way you should have a kid like Gardiner down there without somebody on your team willing to make the other team's players accountable for their liberties.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
i've watched the clip over and over, i see no scrum. i see a couple of guys who looked at porter. perhaps they asked him not to do that anymore. :shakehead

The hit itself wasn't that bad, Gardiner got caught with his head down. It wasn't interference (Gardiner had the puck a second or so prior to the hit), it wasn't charging, and it wasn't a hit from behind (shoulder to shoulder contact). It was a clean hit, that unfortunately resulted in an injury.

It's his head bouncing off the ice that most likely caused the concussion.

member 147413

I wish Devane was up instead of Ross.

Ross has played great the past 2-3 games, if anyone should be replaced it's Scott. He's been under performing this year, his not bringing the type of energy he did all of last year. Normally I'd like to keep him, but he's not doing his part on the team, and I think Devane would add some SERIOUS intimidation.

member 147413

The hit itself wasn't that bad, Gardiner got caught with his head down. It wasn't interference (Gardiner had the puck a second or so prior to the hit), it wasn't charging, and it wasn't a hit from behind (shoulder to shoulder contact). It was a clean hit, that unfortunately resulted in an injury.

He left his feet a little before the hit, obviously that's a charging call if you're reading straight from the rule book, but Porter let up quite a bit and had no malicious intent. I wouldn't of given him a penalty, but the ref did because of Gardiner's reputation.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Doesn't really matter. It was a big momentum change type hit, and with hits like that it seems like you have to cause a bit of a ruckus at the minimum just to stand your ground at the least, and if you have a truly tough team, you do it to discourage the other team from being too assertive by bullying them through intimidation. I'm not even faulting the Amerk player. Just business.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
He left his feet a little before the hit, obviously that's a charging call if you're reading straight from the rule book, but Porter let up quite a bit and had no malicious intent. I wouldn't of given him a penalty, but the ref did because of Gardiner's reputation.

If going by the letter of the law, sure. 99% of the time that call doesn't get made, as long as the play doesn't result in an injury.

My original point is that I'm not a fan of random scrums after every big hit. Why should Phaneuf have to fight scrubs every time he lays someone out? Same applies for Porter (also spots a "C") in this instance. If the team wants to send him a message, finish every single hit on him for the rest of the game (which didn't happen, either).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

It was a dirty hit.....he was blindsided and no one did nothing.....the hit happened at the same time as he turned towards the player.

Apr 1, 2010
Didn't look like much of a hit, and wasn't a penalty IMO. Porter was just finishing his check.

I hate this "concussion-like" crap. They didn't fool anybody with Reimer, why keep doing this?

Hopefully this doesn't linger.

Look at his neck when he gets hit.

He has it turned looking the other way and then gets hit. It's more likely whiplash than a concussion. The hit wasn't hard enough to cause the brain to slam against the inside of the skull.

PErsonally I though the guy held up. He could have absolutly killed Jake.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
It was a dirty hit.....he was blindsided and no one did nothing.....the hit happened at the same time as he turned towards the player.

That's why you don't admire your passes. He put himself in a vulnerable position. He didn't do it unpurpose to try to avoid the hit (like some idiots turning their backs to an incoming hit along the boards), but he did nonetheless. Hopefully, he makes a speedy and complete recovery, and learns a valuable lesson from this experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad