Prospect Info: Jake Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
really? I thought that was a solid return for Hawkey. He's pretty buried in our org, surely he knew that.

And again....I don't know why people are saying that. Fucale is gone. Lindgren could have a future as our #2. We don't know where McNiven is headed. Primeau looks awesome...but progression remains to be seen. Anyway, I just don't think you have enough depth on G. Things can change quite fast.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
And again....I don't know why people are saying that. Fucale is gone. Lindgren could have a future as our #2. We don't know where McNiven is headed. Primeau looks awesome...but progression remains to be seen. Anyway, I just don't think you have enough depth on G. Things can change quite fast.

Well the Habs made a choice on Hawkey and cut ties. I think a 5th is fair value in that situation. I mean it is hard to say how good a prospect he is, but I think we can assume that the 5th was the most any team would give for him right now.

I am not too worried about goalie depth, but I did think maybe he had a future with the Habs, but obviously that's not the case now. Regardless, it is better to make these decisions ahead of time. The organization decided to move him and got something positive for him. I think that is good management, although why they decided to move him in the first place I am not sure, not knowing Hawkey very well.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

Price
Niemi
Lindgren
McNiven
Primeau

Even take out McNiven and that's quite a bit of depth to surpass. Hawkey could bust like Fucale and then we get nothing for him. You're more in tune with the NCAA than me so maybe you have more faith in him than I did. Hawkey could've very well have asked for a trade too. I'm biased because I'm all about giving TT more picks.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Still a bit excited about him. Read about him on a frequent basis for the past two years / two years and a half on this board. Will be fun to finally watch him play with Laval and some NHL pre-season games.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Still a bit excited about him. Read about him on a frequent basis for the past two years / two years and a half on this board. Will be fun to finally watch him play with Laval and some NHL pre-season games.

Only a little excited. He hasn't dominated that much. Especially for a 22 years old.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. That's why I would of taken Rodrigue. Imagine having Primeau and Rodrigue NHL ready when Price is 36/37 ish. Perfect timing and great insurance. If both turn to be potential #1's, we let them battle each other for the #1 job and we flip the other for a solid return.

Lindgren and McNiven is in the Price window. Guys like Primeau and Rodrigue are when the Price window starts closing.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
he reminds me of a Jordan Staal, Kessler etc type center. May not put up a huge number of points but he can play the 2nd line center role, a complete 200 foot game and chip in 45-55 points a season with the right wingers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only a little excited. He hasn't dominated that much. Especially for a 22 years old.

He hasn't dominated that much? Were talking about Evan's NCAA years right? Do you realize what he did last season? Not saying he is going to be the Habs future #2C but he does look good and he will help our AHL team depth for sure IMO. Plays a very responsible game and does all the little things well. Has some offensive skills but he won't be a goal scoring center IMO.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
he reminds me of a Jordan Staal, Kessler etc type center. May not put up a huge number of points but he can play the 2nd line center role, a complete 200 foot game and chip in 45-55 points a season with the right wingers.

Excpet he's slow, skinny, doesn't work out, and wasn't a 1st round pick, he was a 7th rounder.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I like his overall reliability and leadership game. He has gradual progression from year to year and is great on face offs and being a tough center to play against. I like his game. Will be interesting to see how much he gets better as the season goes along as he adapts to being a pro. Certainly an adjustment period and his 2nd AHL season is the important one IMO. That's when we start to see his real potential as a NHL player

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Excpet he's slow, skinny, doesn't work out, and wasn't a 1st round pick. He was a 7th rounder.

At this stage, 7th round vs 1st round don't mean anything with Evans. Slow? We will see. Skinny and doesn't work out? We will also see how this fits in the AHL. Maybe he realizes this after one AHL year and it's something he works at. A players development is dependent on how he improves and works at the parts of his game that they struggle at.

How hungry is he to improve? None of know this yet. McCarron is hungry to be better but his idea is to work out harder vs hiring a skating coach and working on his ability to protect the puck with his big frame down low. McCarron thinks that he needs to put up points and be offensive if he is going to make the NHL. He got it all wrong. This is where Sly was weak IMO. I don't think he was a good coach and I also don't think he was a good motivator at getting players to work on the right things.

Reactions: jaffy27

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
He hasn't dominated that much? Were talking about Evan's NCAA years right? Do you realize what he did last season? Not saying he is going to be the Habs future #2C but he does look good and he will help our AHL team depth for sure IMO. Plays a very responsible game and does all the little things well. Has some offensive skills but he won't be a goal scoring center IMO.

46 pts in 40 games isn't that much.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Agreed. That's why I would of taken Rodrigue. Imagine having Primeau and Rodrigue NHL ready when Price is 36/37 ish. Perfect timing and great insurance. If both turn to be potential #1's, we let them battle each other for the #1 job and we flip the other for a solid return.

Lindgren and McNiven is in the Price window. Guys like Primeau and Rodrigue are when the Price window starts closing.

My bad guys. I took a wrong turn and thought I was in the Poehling thread ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

he struggled after the spengler cup, in 8 games he had just 3 pts, and the 2 games before he left he was pointless but had 43 pts in 30 games aside from that. His 46 pts were a career high and he tied for 13th overall in scoring. If not for that 10 game span, had he just kept the pace going, he would have ended up with around 57 pts which would have put him 2nd overall in scoring behind the Hobey Baker winner Adam Gaudette who had 60 pts but also played on the best line in the NCAA while Evans had one of the youngest teams in the league and they had hardly any NHL picks among their top scorers. If you look at Notre Dame's top 10 scorers only 2 were drafted, Evans and Morrison. They were a well coached team and had good depth at all positions but no big names and mostly all undrafted FA's.

Evans offensive game is made up of smarts and vision, put him with guys that can score and he'll rack up the assists while being better in his own end. The main question with him is how will his lack of physical tools impact him, speed, skating, size and strength. He doesn't have major holes there, he's got a decent frame but needs to add some mass and get stronger, he's not slow but he needs to get quicker and his skating needs some work. But he's very smart, hard working and has skill while being one of the best in face-offs every year.

The problem right now is that he has been injured all off-season so likely hasn't been able to do much training. So this year might be a bit of a write off in terms of it may take him a little longer to adjust as he gets healthy and works on getting stronger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Huh? He was a pt/game player in the NCAA over the last 3 seasons and improved in each of his 4 seasons in the NCAA. He was the leader on his team this past year and one of the main reasons why Notre Dame was a very good team. Come on man. He has accomplished a lot

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
has this been posted, pretty sick video.

First time watching this. Thanks for sharing! If this kid can produce some points in the Pro's, I think we got a real good hockey player here! Lets hope his hernia injury don't set him back in his first pro season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad