Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk IV: The debate rages forth

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Oustanding read.

Dominic Tiano: Is It Time to Give Up on Jake DeBrusk?

Hit home with me as I watched both my sons and how they react to the past year.
One at home whole time adjusted a lot easier.
Other son who was stranded in California with a new job , no family and had not yet made any real friends suffered. Truly.
He didnt start to come back to the boy I raised until he was allowed to come’home’ for WFH.
Sometimes we forget they are all human and individuals. Not cookie cutter pieces of meat.

Fully get that. Both my sons 22 and 20 have been stranded at "home" due to covid . Both are Jonesing to spread there wings but they got their wings clipped just as they were getting set to fly. Surprisingly the older son who is a little more clingy is the one who is dealing with it best while the younger son who has always been a little more kamikaze is the one who's struggling.

Covid has shuffled the deck like it's never been shuffled before and maybe we all need to take a step back (especially me) and realize this is likely the exception rather than the rule.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'm not prepared to give up on Debrusk yet. I would like to give him another full season with life returned to the new normal. Three good years with one Covid down year. I would favor him over Ritchie long term.

I've decided to give everyone a pass this season. Covid has thrown everyone a curveball, some among us are fast ball hitters.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I'm not prepared to give up on Debrusk yet. I would like to give him another full season with life returned to the new normal. Three good years with one Covid down year. I would favor him over Ritchie long term.
It's not a good idea to give up on him, but I am afraid the cap will force the Bruins do that.
The Bruins need to re-sign Krejci, Hall, Rask, Carlo, and Reilly.
Also, if Debrusk sees himself as a top-six player, he knows he won't get that chance in Boston behind Marchand and Hall.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It's not a good idea to give up on him, but I am afraid the cap will force the Bruins do that.
Also, if Debrusk sees himself as a top-six player, he knows he won't get that chance in Boston behind Marchand and Hall.
I don’t see the cap being an issue this year, and if it is Debrusk’s cap isn’t enough to relieve them from it. It’s more the log jam they would have at LW if Ritchie was to return as well, it would then make sense to move him or Ritchie for a RW.

Maybe Seattle takes Ritchie and sorts it out for us who knows.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

With his contract, you have to hope he can switch sides and win out the 2RW spot. I know he plays better on the left, but he'll have to find a way to make it work. If he decides to hustle and play a lot better away from the puck, maybe the goals will come. Not good when you have to say that about a guy who will be 25 all next season. At the very least, his shooting % should work its way back to 11ish and he'll be good for low 20s goals.

Otherwise, that's $9M for 2/3 of your third line with Coyle. These RFA years is when the team should be getting a deal on AAV.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
With his contract, you have to hope he can switch sides and win out the 2RW spot. I know he plays better on the left, but he'll have to find a way to make it work. If he decides to hustle and play a lot better away from the puck, maybe the goals will come. Not good when you have to say that about a guy who will be 25 all next season. At the very least, his shooting % should work its way back to 11ish and he'll be good for low 20s goal.
If Hall and Krejci re-sign, Smith has great chemistry with those two, and it is unlikely Debrusk can top that. Here is how I see it working out for next year based on contracts.

Marchand - Bergeron Pastrnak
Hall - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Coyle - Kase*
Frederic - Lazar - Wagner/Kuhlman

*I know Kase has been out, and some think it is unlikely he will come back. However, it would be a Sweeney move to re-sign him for one year. They saw something they liked to trade for him, and after an injury year, they can probably get him on the cheap. If Kase doesn't work out, they acquire a third-line right wing at the deadline. Very Sweeney move.

Of course, who Seattle picks could change this, but I just don't see where Debrusk slots into this line up. The other factor too is Debrusk himself - maybe he wants a change of scenery, or wants out because he sees himself as a top-six player rather than a bottom-six guy. I guess he gets traded for futures.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
If Hall and Krejci re-sign, Smith has great chemistry with those two, and it is unlikely Debrusk can top that. Here is how I see it working out for next year based on contracts.

Marchand - Bergeron Pastrnak
Hall - Krejci - Smith
Ritchie - Coyle - Kase*
Frederic - Lazar - Wagner/Kuhlman

*I know Kase has been out, and some think it is unlikely he will come back. However, it would be a Sweeney move to re-sign him for one year. They saw something they liked to trade for him, and after an injury year, they can probably get him on the cheap. If Kase doesn't work out, they acquire a third-line right wing at the deadline. Very Sweeney move.

Of course, who Seattle picks could change this, but I just don't see where Debrusk slots into this line up. The other factor too is Debrusk himself - maybe he wants a change of scenery, or wants out because he sees himself as a top-six player rather than a bottom-six guy. I guess he gets traded for futures.
I think Ritchie is the odd man out due to his contract status. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they traded him. DeBrusk will be the 3rd line LW next year, and if he has a decent season I see them re-signing him at a lower number on a short deal. Long-term I don’t see a future with him in Boston if Hall re-signs and he can’t play RW.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I think Ritchie is the odd man out due to his contract status. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they traded him. DeBrusk will be the 3rd line LW next year, and if he has a decent season I see them re-signing him at a lower number on a short deal. Long-term I don’t see a future with him in Boston if Hall re-signs and he can’t play RW.
Yeah one of Debrusk or Ritchie will be playing elsewhere. I can see Ritchie taking less money and Debrusk wanting a change of scenery himself. But who knows at this point.

Reactions: inactive user

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Debrusk on the bottom six is great. This team is suddenly super steep.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Really hope DeBrusk builds off last game and keep trending in the right direction. Doesn't mean he needs to score again, but just have a game where he's giving the 2nd effort and being a pain in the ass to play against. With Kase set to return, I'm sure he knows he could be the odd man out if he doesn't bring the effort needed

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Really hope DeBrusk builds off last game and keep trending in the right direction. Doesn't mean he needs to score again, but just have a game where he's giving the 2nd effort and being a pain in the ass to play against. With Kase set to return, I'm sure he knows he could be the odd man out if he doesn't bring the effort needed
good post, watched the game vs the Rags and thought he played one of his most focused games this year even before he scored.

He committed , on a few occasions defensively, did not just wave at the puck trying to get it out of the zone but actually ate it along the wall when the play wasn`t there and waited for a teammates help, forced a turnover offensively by taking a very strong angle on the forecheck instead of doing one of his patented fly bye`s , liked his game, then he popped one and you could see the confidence.

Now, all that said, I`ve seen this play before, he needs to do it with consistency and not revert back to the game he has provided the majority of the time this season

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Would have loved to see JDB net that OT chance, would have been huge for him. He's been better over the last 5 games, which is encouraging because JDB playing like JDB is a huge upgrade for this team. Last 5 games at 5v5 he ranks the following among B's:

PTS - 6th
SOG - 3rd
ixG - 2nd
iSCF - 4th
iHDCF - 1st

Reactions: TwineTickler

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Even though he missed that OT chance I liked the passion he showed when breaking his stick. Shows that he cares.
never doubted he cares, I have however questioned his commitment to playing hard in all 3 zones, it`s in the little details, being willing to take a hit along the wall in your own end to clear the puck etc....have seen that more consistently during the last few games I have caught

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Would have loved to see JDB net that OT chance, would have been huge for him. He's been better over the last 5 games, which is encouraging because JDB playing like JDB is a huge upgrade for this team. Last 5 games at 5v5 he ranks the following among B's:

PTS - 6th
SOG - 3rd
ixG - 2nd
iSCF - 4th
iHDCF - 1st

Skating game is back. He used to be a terror when he got going and I've seen more jump/life in his skating game the last few days. Great to see. Playoff JD74 would be real nice.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Definitely seeing more consistency in his game, which is the main thing I wanted out of him. The effort has been there for a quite a few games in a row now. I'd have loved for him to net that OT winner but it was good just to see him get the opportunity. Encouraging signs!

Reactions: inactive user

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Thought DeBrusk had another solid game last night. Had some plays that he looked to take to the net, he had a smart pull-up and pass that led to the teams only goal. Again just play with more of the 2nd effort. DeBrusk quietly had 3pts in his last 5 games and 5pts in his last 10 games. Hope its a sign that he's starting to turn things around and get back to the JDB from a few years ago.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Thought DeBrusk had another solid game last night. Had some plays that he looked to take to the net, he had a smart pull-up and pass that led to the teams only goal. Again just play with more of the 2nd effort. DeBrusk quietly had 3pts in his last 5 games and 5pts in his last 10 games. Hope its a sign that he's starting to turn things around and get back to the JDB from a few years ago.

Yes I agree, he's managed to string together a few solid showings in a row. I am still no convinced this is the great turnaround going forward that we all hope, but he's getting there. Let's suppose he ends up playing solid hockey with strong effort through the playoffs however long they last, what do you do with him? He isn't getting into the top 6 as it stands. Overpay him as a third liner that can be moved up if needed? Expose him to Seattle in hopes you can keep a D man? Trade him for a need in the summer?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->