Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I don't think he's been demoted in the lineup. He only plays with Coyle when Krejci is hurt. They break up the most dominant pair in the NHL, Marchand - Pasta, more than they break up DeBrusk-Krejci. And he gets tons of first unit PP time even when he's ice cold, despite not being a natural net front guy (he doesn't set screens).

The bolded is flat out wrong. Coyle played 70 games this year and Krejci 61 games, that's a difference of 9 games. Coyle and DeBrusk played together for 311 minutes this year. So if DeBrusk ONLY plays with Coyle when Krejci is hurt, that means in those 9 games, Coyle and DeBrusk were playing on average 34 minutes a game together.

On the first PP, it was a rotation of players all year long. DeBrusk, Coyle, Heinen, Ritchie & Krejci (playoffs) all got looks on the first PP unit this season. For all the PP TOI the first unit got, DeBrusk was on the ice with them roughly 55% of the time.

He was outplayed by Heinen as a rookie but was anointed 2nd line LW while Heinen was sent to Providence. Heinen ultimately had the better rookie year, scoring 47 points from the 3rd line, to Jake's 40 points on the 2nd line, but the two were never swapped. Ever since he got here, the 2nd line has belonged to Jake DeBrusk, you can count on it like you can count on Marchand playing with Bergeron.

I mean fit is part of the equation in everything. The team was looking for a goal scoring winger to play with Krejci, who is an elite playmaker. Danton Heinen (and I've been very vocal in my support of him) was not a guy fit that role. DeBrusk was drafted as a goal scoring winger, so why wouldn't he get put with your teams best playmaker?

Now with the points, there are a few corrections/observations here:

Player
GP
G
A
PTS
TOI
ATOI
Danon Heinen​
77​
16​
31​
47​
1157​
15:01​
Jake DeBrusk​
70​
16​
27​
43​
1006​
14:22​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It wasn't 40pts, it was 43pts that DeBrusk had his rookie year. So with 7 less games, DeBrusk produced 4 less points and the same amount of goals. Not only that, but in average TOI, Heinen was higher than DeBrusk.[/QUOTE]

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Heinen actually got some rope when Cassidy first came in. I remember he making a comment about Danton earning the right to play through a slump or something. Donato wasn't here long enough

Heinen was phenomenal playing with the top line for a decent stretch, yet when Pasta came back, he said Heinen's success was not sustainable (Bruce a fortune teller?) and booted him to the third line.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Heinen was phenomenal playing with the top line for a decent stretch, yet when Pasta came back, he said Heinen's success was not sustainable (Bruce a fortune teller?) and booted him to the third line.

The analytics and goal differential of that Marchand-bergeron-heinen line were straight out of a video game lol.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't think he's been demoted in the lineup. He only plays with Coyle when Krejci is hurt. They break up the most dominant pair in the NHL, Marchand - Pasta, more than they break up DeBrusk-Krejci. And he gets tons of first unit PP time even when he's ice cold, despite not being a natural net front guy (he doesn't set screens). He was outplayed by Heinen as a rookie but was anointed 2nd line LW while Heinen was sent to Providence. Heinen ultimately had the better rookie year, scoring 47 points from the 3rd line, to Jake's 40 points on the 2nd line, but the two were never swapped. Ever since he got here, the 2nd line has belonged to Jake DeBrusk, you can count on it like you can count on Marchand playing with Bergeron.

I don't believe that is true.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I would have liked to see Heinen stay up and I don't remember the comment. IIRC though, when Pastrnak returned it put a log jam at RW because they were playing Coyle w/ Krejci at that point. They were Pastrnak-Coyle-Wagner-Backes down the right side and mojo was injured so the needed a 3LW (enter Heinen).

Reactions: LouJersey

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The bolded is flat out wrong.

If you take out the 9 games they played together while Krejci was injured, roughly 150 minutes of those 300 minutes (16:10 x 9), then DeBrusk and Coyle played together less than Krejci and Pastrnak.

People here constantly say Pasta and Krejci should get some time together, or that they get so little time together we can't even know if they have any chemistry. Well, at 150 minutes, DeBrusk and Coyle would have 50 minutes less than Pasta and Krejci.

On the first PP, it was a rotation of players all year long. DeBrusk, Coyle, Heinen, Ritchie & Krejci (playoffs) all got looks on the first PP unit this season. For all the PP TOI the first unit got, DeBrusk was on the ice with them roughly 55% of the time.

If DeBrusk got 55% of the time, then the other 4 had to split the remaining 45%. That's not a rotation, that's DeBrusk's spot to lose. For the sake of easy math, that's 11% for Coyle (or whoever) to 55% for DeBrusk. Or to put it another way, DeBrusk gets 5 PP shifts on the top unit to every 1 that Coyle gets.

I mean fit is part of the equation in everything...

Now with the points...

My bad on the point totals. I still think Heinen's 47 points with Riley Nash is more impressive than DeBrusk's 43 points with Krejci.

I also think Heinen was a better fit for Krejci. IMO Krejci has never meshed well with shoot-first wingers like Kessel, Seguin and Pastrnak (and DeBrusk). IMO, he's always played better with guys who were more balanced passers and liked to play the give and go game, guys like Wheeler, Lucic and Horton.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't believe that is true.

See the post above. The short, short version: Krejci and Pasta played almost 200 minutes together last year. It doesn't feel like it because Pasta almost always plays with Bergeron and Marchand, but it's a fact. If you take out the the games when Krejci was injured then DeBrusk and Coyle only played about 150 minutes together. That's 50 minutes less than the pair people think never happens.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If you take out the 9 games they played together while Krejci was injured, roughly 150 minutes of those 300 minutes (16:10 x 9), then DeBrusk and Coyle played together less than Krejci and Pastrnak.

People here constantly say Pasta and Krejci should get some time together, or that they get so little time together we can't even know if they have any chemistry. Well, at 150 minutes, DeBrusk and Coyle would have 50 minutes less than Pasta and Krejci.

If DeBrusk got 55% of the time, then the other 4 had to split the remaining 45%. That's not a rotation, that's DeBrusk's spot to lose. For the sake of easy math, that's 11% for Coyle (or whoever) to 55% for DeBrusk. Or to put it another way, DeBrusk gets 5 PP shifts on the top unit to every 1 that Coyle gets.

My bad on the point totals. I still think Heinen's 47 points with Riley Nash is more impressive than DeBrusk's 43 points with Krejci.

I also think Heinen was a better fit for Krejci. IMO Krejci has never meshed well with shoot-first wingers like Kessel, Seguin and Pastrnak (and DeBrusk). IMO, he's always played better with guys who were more balanced passers and liked to play the give and go game, guys like Wheeler, Lucic and Horton.

Shooters have also found success with Krejci. Iginla had a 30 goal year. Both DeBrusk and Ryder had 27 goal years next to Krejci.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Shooters have also found success with Krejci. Iginla had a 30 goal year. Both DeBrusk and Ryder had 27 goal years next to Krejci.
That’s if he is into playing and not hurt. His line has had a big void for ever. Part of the problem is Krejci himself. I’m not saying he’s not a good player, but it seems that they can never get that chemistry with him. I was one that wanted him traded a looooong time ago. One more year of him here. They need to make it work. He’s got to skate!!! He had a good first round in the playoffs but was no where to be found in the last.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
The bolded is flat out wrong. Coyle played 70 games this year and Krejci 61 games, that's a difference of 9 games. Coyle and DeBrusk played together for 311 minutes this year. So if DeBrusk ONLY plays with Coyle when Krejci is hurt, that means in those 9 games, Coyle and DeBrusk were playing on average 34 minutes a game together.

I mean fit is part of the equation in everything. The team was looking for a goal scoring winger to play with Krejci, who is an elite playmaker. Danton Heinen (and I've been very vocal in my support of him) was not a guy fit that role. DeBrusk was drafted as a goal scoring winger, so why wouldn't he get put with your teams best playmaker?

Now with the points, there are a few corrections/observations here:

Player
GP
G
A
PTS
TOI
ATOI
Danon Heinen​
77​
16​
31​
47​
1157​
15:01​
Jake DeBrusk​
70​
16​
27​
43​
1006​
14:22​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It wasn't 40pts, it was 43pts that DeBrusk had his rookie year. So with 7 less games, DeBrusk produced 4 less points and the same amount of goals. Not only that, but in average TOI, Heinen was higher than DeBrusk.
[/QUOTE]
You have to add the fact that JDB scored 6 goals in 12 games that year in the playoffs.
Heinen was no where to be found....one goal in nine games!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What is your definition of a " shooter"?

Someone who both shoots frequently and uses a variety of shot-types (wristers, snaps, one-timers, etc.). Also has a decent nose for finding soft spots on the ice for which to use their shooting ability.

For example, Jake does have a decent one-timer from his off-wing, we saw him use it vs. the Blues in 2019. But he very rarely uses it, I don't know why.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I haven't liked what I've seen from DeBrusk these first few games. Even going back to last years playoffs, he doesn't seem strong on the stick or drive the net nearly as much.

Reactions: Don Cherry

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Debrusk is a pretty skilled player with absolutely no Hockey IQ whatsoever.

I haven't seen a dumber player in a Bruins uniform since Frank Vatrano.
Another frustrating thing is that he doesn't really bring much of anything to the table when he's not around the net tipping in shots and putting home rebounds. I get that he gets a lot of criticism, but people need to remember that he's not a top-line player. He is what he is. A frustrating, inconsistent winger that can score 20 goals who is better suited for the 3rd line.

Reactions: Kalus

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The misconception is both that Debrusk is a "shooter" (he's not) and that Krejci plays a large hand in the goals he does score (he doesn't).

Well he sure as shit isn't a passer!

I'm kidding I know what you mean. I'd probably describe him as a solo act, at least in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. Lots of individual effort goals where he puts on his cape and carries it end to end or around the zone ignoring teammates and forcing his own shots.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well he sure as shit isn't a passer!

I'm kidding I know what you mean. I'd probably describe him as a solo act, at least in his 2nd and 3rd seasons. Lots of individual effort goals where he puts on his cape and carries it end to end or around the zone ignoring teammates and forcing his own shots.

That's a perfect description of Debrusk. It must be frustrating for his line-mates. Unless you can keep up with his solo rushes, you have basically no chance of getting the puck back.

He did look better and more energized with Marchand and Bergeron.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The misconception is both that Debrusk is a "shooter" (he's not) and that Krejci plays a large hand in the goals he does score (he doesn't).

This is interesting... I would say DeBrusk is a goal scorer, but you are right that he is not really a shooter in the classic sense. I've actually long thought that if he could improve his shot the was Pastrnak did (not necessarily to the same extent), and was willing to use it more, then he could get himself in 30-35 goal territory.

The reality is that most players, even on a good roster, aren't perfect. We have four truly great forwards that are consistent game after game (Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak and Krejci). All the others contribute in streaks, and have moments where they look great, followed by long stretches where they do nothing. DeBrusk is still a valuable asset just by virtue of the fact that he seems good for about 25 goals in a full season, while being able to play competent defense. Hopefully, he will learn to compete more on a nightly basis and become something more than that one day.

Babajingo

I give him an A for effort and a D for finishing. Is that a top 6 forward? sure, if your other linemates are named Patrice and Brad.
I can't figure out if he is a shooter or a setup guy, because i don't see either. He is just frustrating to watch. Like a healthy Kase.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
At times Jake can turn into an animal with his puck protection and pursuit, but he never seems to know what to do with the puck at the end of the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->