Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You're never going to see Pasta on Krejci's RW full time. 63-37-88 is Cassidy's binky line and he will never change it. I thought Clode was stubborn but Cassidy is right there with him.
If I was an opposing coach I would love Cassidy to put that line together

You put speed guys against them lot of chip outs - get Bergeron doing a lot of stop and starts - drain those 40 second shifts

1. split them up
2. Youth - get Stud & Frederic in there
3. Build a heavy big bottom 6

seriously give me and Peter Griffith this team and they will win and kick the shit out of the opposition at the same time

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
honestly always forget to put him in. I guess you could put him with Bergeron and Marchand. Send Studnicka to AHL.
Studnicka in AHL absurd though

love to see him with 63 & 37

Frederic Ready for 4th line LW

forgot Kuhlman also

could also put Kase with 63/37 while Pastrnak is out to jump start him

Reactions: Over the volcano

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah it is but at the same time, I don’t think it’s the worst thing. Kind of following the old Detroit model with prospects.
Like a jolt or Red Bull with Studnicka & Frederic with veteran linemates

plus they were all at the Bubble there will be a level of comfort and understanding of what’s to be expected

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Studnicka in AHL absurd though

love to see him with 63 & 37

Frederic Ready for 4th line LW

forgot Kuhlman also

could also put Kase with 63/37 while Pastrnak is out to jump start him

It is, but the numbers game (with everyone healthy) isn't in Jack's favor, especially since he's waiver exempt. I only see Studs making it if Kase moves to LW (bumping Bjork) or Studs plays 4C.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
What does this do to the trade rumors surrounding their need for a left defenseman... locked up for 2 years on a good deal that ends as a RFA ... does that make him more attractive to other teams or more valuable to Boston?
I would say it makes him more valuable. If you are a team interested in him, you know how much you are looking at for two years and your qualifying offer when this deal is up. If you were interested in the player this should make teams more interested or at least not put them off because of his contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I would say it makes him more valuable. If you are a team interested in hi, you know how much you are looking at for two years and your qualifying offer when this deal is up. If you were interested in the player this should make teams more interested or at least not pt them off because of his contract.

Yes, this. If they are still shopping Jake around to try to find a LD or are planning to do something crazy like offer sheet Sergachev, this salary and term should make him pretty attractive to any potential partners.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I like Studnicka, I think he is their only prospect with top six potential but he should not be on the top line this year for any reason. Put him down the lineup or let him play 20 minutes a night in Providence once everyone gets healthy. Let him be the guy there and bring him in as your number three center next year when Krejci moves on. If Bergeron struggles in 2021 move Coyle and him up in the lines.

Only reason to give him top line minutes this year is if they opt to rebuild,which Sweeney hasn't, opting instead to stay stagnant and be a borderline playoff team that might go a round or two and make JJ some money.

Reactions: Quinby

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Another great signing by DS, at least he is good at something!!
Hearing rumors the OEL trade is still not dead.
JDB/Vaak/Moore and a pick?
Have the Yotes take back 2Million a year.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I've been underwhelmed by Jake for quite awhile now. Hope he finds another level of consistency.

Guy is teflon with fans and the brass, can't remember the last Bruin to be as fortunate. Deal is fine, Bruins didn't use the RFA w/o arbitration to their advantage so hopefully if he reaches the next level he will remember that on his next deal.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Guy is teflon with fans and the brass, can't remember the last Bruin to be as fortunate. Deal is fine, Bruins didn't use the RFA w/o arbitration to their advantage so hopefully if he reaches the next level he will remember that on his next deal.

I disagree with the fan part. Plenty make it known about their issues with DeBrusk’s game.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I really like the term. The cap hit is fine. I have a feeling this cap hit may be pretty close to his high career high watermark. A fine one dimensional 20 something goal scorer. A good piece to have that can bounce between the 2nd and 3rd lines.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Seriously? JDB gets ripped by fans and the media for being inconsistent all the time. People all the time talk about who Boston should have drafted instead of DeBrusk. Id say he's far from "teflon" as you put it

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Seriously? JDB gets ripped by fans and the media for being inconsistent all the time. People all the time talk about who Boston should have drafted instead of DeBrusk. Id say he's far from "teflon" as you put it

No, the other two do. When has Cassidy ever held him accountable? Dude has been staples to Lw2 regardless of performance or effort

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
No, the other two do. When has Cassidy ever held him accountable? Dude has been staples to Lw2 regardless of performance or effort

I think it's because he's clearly the third best winger on the team and after DeBrusk, there is a big gulf in goal scoring talent on the left wing. They did experiment moving him to Coyle's line here and there, which i think we all liked how they played together.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Would have liked to see the B's use their leverage more here. It's not enough to lose sleep over, but I think it would have been good for Jake to hear they can live without him. I think the "favorite son" treatment he's gotten since his rookie year has hurt his development, because there are no repercussions for long stretches of disinterested play.

All that said, I'm glad they didn't move on from him. I don't know if that was a conscious decision or Sweeney just not being able to get a deal done, but I hate that we've traded so many young players coming off their ELC's and assuming that what they were their first 3 years is all they'll ever be. He's got 2 years to show he'll be worth his $4.5m qualifier.

Reactions: LouJersey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I don't think that's true either. His top two linemates were Krejci/Coyle this season and they didn't play much together (15% of Coyle's 5v5 TOI was w/ Krejci). So DeBrusk bounced between 2nd and 3rd line last year. He also was off and on the #1 PP unit at times and instead Coyle, Heinen and Krejci filled the spot.

I wouldn't say DeBrusk isn't held accountable, it just may not be to the same level (benching) like we see with a guy like Bjork.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Would have liked to see the B's use their leverage more here. It's not enough to lose sleep over, but I think it would have been good for Jake to hear they can live without him. I think the "favorite son" treatment he's gotten since his rookie year has hurt his development, because there are no repercussions for long stretches of disinterested play.

All that said, I'm glad they didn't move on from him. I don't know if that was a conscious decision or Sweeney just not being able to get a deal done, but I hate that we've traded so many young players coming off their ELC's and assuming that what they were their first 3 years is all they'll ever be. He's got 2 years to show he'll be worth his $4.5m qualifier.

Again don't see it. He's been demoted in the lineup, lost his spot on the first PP unit at times...if he was the favorite son those things wouldn't happen. I'm sure he gets some additional rope seeing as he's the teams 4th best goal scorer since entering the league, but he's far from the "favorite son" that you call him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't think that's true either. His top two linemates were Krejci/Coyle this season and they didn't play much together (15% of Coyle's 5v5 TOI was w/ Krejci). So DeBrusk bounced between 2nd and 3rd line last year. He also was off and on the #1 PP unit at times and instead Coyle, Heinen and Krejci filled the spot.

I wouldn't say DeBrusk isn't held accountable, it just may not be to the same level (benching) like we see with a guy like Bjork.

or Donato, or Heinen, or basically anyone else.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Again don't see it. He's been demoted in the lineup, lost his spot on the first PP unit at times...if he was the favorite son those things wouldn't happen. I'm sure he gets some additional rope seeing as he's the teams 4th best goal scorer since entering the league, but he's far from the "favorite son" that you call him.

I don't think he's been demoted in the lineup. He only plays with Coyle when Krejci is hurt. They break up the most dominant pair in the NHL, Marchand - Pasta, more than they break up DeBrusk-Krejci. And he gets tons of first unit PP time even when he's ice cold, despite not being a natural net front guy (he doesn't set screens). He was outplayed by Heinen as a rookie but was anointed 2nd line LW while Heinen was sent to Providence. Heinen ultimately had the better rookie year, scoring 47 points from the 3rd line, to Jake's 40 points on the 2nd line, but the two were never swapped. Ever since he got here, the 2nd line has belonged to Jake DeBrusk, you can count on it like you can count on Marchand playing with Bergeron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad