Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A lot of people are saying If bruins go 7 d that it would be backes or acciari drawing out of the lineup. Am I crazy to think it should be debrusk (I might be actually). I just don’t think he’s brought anything for the majority of the playoffs this entire series. At least backes brings physicality experience and leadership. Acciari is a part of a good 4th line and brings toughness. What has debrusk brought? I know he has the upside to make an impact but I think he might benefit from a 1 game time out. Maybe sitting Game 5 would wake him up for 6 and 7. Where sitting backes or acciari doesn’t really have any potential positive impact long term. if they came back in they’d still just be backes and acciari out there
I think he should sit as well

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
hes been a 40-50 point guy through his first 2 seasons

and hes almost at a 40 point pace in this years playoffs

I guess I wonder how much better were we expecting him to be? hope he might get hot... sure... maybe more goals/less assists... sure...

maybe look dangerous more... ok

but playoffs are hard... checking is tight... and hes not a front line guy... thats reality

a slight disappointment is fair to say... but calling for him to be sat seems crazy. his defense has been strong and weve been winning.

personally I have NEVER felt that krejci is the right center for debrusk… id like to see him with coyle next year

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

I guess I wonder how much better were we expecting him to be? hope he might get hot... sure... maybe more goals/less assists... sure...

but playoffs are hard... checking is tight... and hes not a front line guy... thats reality

a slight disappointment is fair to say... but calling for him to be sat seems crazy. his defense has been strong and weve been winning.

personally I have NEVER felt that krejci is the right center for debrusk… id like to see him with coyle next year
He has been a pretty big disappointment for me ,was really expecting a lot more from him,he really hasn’t looked right since the Kadri hit ,has the wheels still but the stick handling and shot has disappeared,but wouldn’t go as far as taking him out of line up.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

What's weird about Krejci is that he's consistently racked up points over a good career, but he hasn't had wingers that he's really meshed with since Lucic and Iginla. He's gone through everyone from Seth Griffith to Brett Connolly, and no one other than Debrusk has stuck there for a year.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
A lot of people are saying If bruins go 7 d that it would be backes or acciari drawing out of the lineup. Am I crazy to think it should be debrusk (I might be actually). I just don’t think he’s brought anything for the majority of the playoffs this entire series. At least backes brings physicality experience and leadership. Acciari is a part of a good 4th line and brings toughness. What has debrusk brought? I know he has the upside to make an impact but I think he might benefit from a 1 game time out. Maybe sitting Game 5 would wake him up for 6 and 7. Where sitting backes or acciari doesn’t really have any potential positive impact long term. if they came back in they’d still just be backes and acciari out there

People were saying "Bench Pasta" earlier in the playoffs as well. Then he had a big game if I recall. It's not a good idea to bench guys with game breaking ability. Though he has struggled in these playoffs, DeBrusk has the potential to MAKE THINGS HAPPEN with his speed. In contrast to Backes who struggles to get from A to B and has no chance of scoring unless the puck magically bounces to him.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I just can't get behind the thought of benching your top players; regardless of how poorly they have played. While DeBrusk isn't on the same level as Pastrnak and Marchand (players who people have cried about benching), he's still your 2nd line LW who can make something happen in an instant. You can't bench that. Who is his replacement? Kuhlman? Cehlarik? It's not like you have a better option coming into the lineup.

Win/Lose with your best players in the lineup.

Cam14b

Jan 8, 2018
I think 74 and 46 are carrying an anchor as much as I like Backes. They need to give them a skater....

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think 74 and 46 are carrying an anchor as much as I like Backes. They need to give them a skater....

Backes has only played about half the time as DK and & JDB so this belief is a misnomer. Most of the time it's been Pasta or Marchand double shifting in Backes spot, so DK has been playing with skilled guys but still not seeing the results.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Jake has fairly sucked this playoff season- a good game here and there, but he isn't playing well at all. Perhaps he is carrying an injury- I wouldn't be surprised for the amount of punishment he takes, but whatever the case, the Bruins need more out of him.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I actually had this conversation with some great hockey minds yesterday. The consensus was basically that if a forward is going to sit in favor of a defenceman, then DeBrusk should be that guy, especially if Chara can't go.

We're not a big believer that keeping muscle in the lineup is a deterrent (look what happened to Gryz).

But if both Chara and Backes are out of the lineup, then it's open season on the rest of the Bruins.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I actually had this conversation with some great hockey minds yesterday. The consensus was basically that if a forward is going to sit in favor of a defenceman, then DeBrusk should be that guy, especially if Chara can't go.

We're not a big believer that keeping muscle in the lineup is a deterrent (look what happened to Gryz).

But if both Chara and Backes are out of the lineup, then it's open season on the rest of the Bruins.

Both Chara and Backes were in the lineup when Grizz got pasted and when Schenn tried to take Pasta out (but missed).

Reactions: Estlin

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Looking at it from the opposite perspective, wasn’t DeBrusk the guy who angrily chased Kadri around the ice? We are talking so much about what happens to our guys when the Blues run around on us, who on our team can run around at the other end? The only guy who seemingly tries is Backes but he couldn’t catch the goalie with a head start.

I say my big goal for DeBrusk right now isn’t to produce (though he’s long overdue), but how about to run a guy? How about we put a little heat on their defense?? DeBrusk would seem big and fast enough...let’s see him step up.

Anyway this is what I’m looking for the first 5 minutes tomorrow night...I want to see a Bruin forward or Dman to run a guy. Push back.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I think Chara is going to at least try to go, which is why they're likely going to carry an extra dman. That way if he can't go or gets hurt again, they have a spare. I'd probably sit Backes if that happens though because half the time they've been rotating in Pasta or Marchand in his spot anyways. No sense on dressing a guy to play 2 shifts a period.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Looking at it from the opposite perspective, wasn’t DeBrusk the guy who angrily chased Kadri around the ice? We are talking so much about what happens to our guys when the Blues run around on us, who on our team can run around at the other end? The only guy who seemingly tries is Backes but he couldn’t catch the goalie with a head start.

I say my big goal for DeBrusk right now isn’t to produce (though he’s long overdue), but how about to run a guy? How about we put a little heat on their defense?? DeBrusk would seem big and fast enough...let’s see him step up.

Anyway this is what I’m looking for the first 5 minutes tomorrow night...I want to see a Bruin forward or Dman to run a guy. Push back.

Yes, we are definitely missing Wagner.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Krejci can play moody

If Cassidy comes back with

DeBrusk-Krejci-Backes

I’m going to tell me kid I’ll be right back head to the stairwell by section 5 and scream in frustration

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Jake DeBrusk can't be the centerpiece of a line but he can play anywhere from 2nd to 4th line and have a valid role. On a higher line he's the off wing grinder, like a more skilled version of PJ Axelsson. If you have more talent in the top line he can become a third line scorer or provide a ton of energy from either of the bottom 2 lines.

He's valuable. He's just not a core guy or a franchise centerpiece.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Jake DeBrusk can't be the centerpiece of a line but he can play anywhere from 2nd to 4th line and have a valid role. On a higher line he's the off wing grinder, like a more skilled version of PJ Axelsson. If you have more talent in the top line he can become a third line scorer or provide a ton of energy from either of the bottom 2 lines.

He's valuable. He's just not a core guy or a franchise centerpiece.

He's absolutely part of the young core, that will end up being the core once our current core is unfortunately no longer playing... also don't like the PJ comparison.

Big time effort from Jakey last night. When he got taken into the net by Parayko that should have been interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->