Jake Allen

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
In this thread: People who don't watch blues games saying Allen isn't bad and that he will turn it around, assuming it must be the team faulting on him.

Also in this thread: Blues fans and western conference fans who see Allen on the regular and know he won't turn it around.

If you watch the games you only see a bad goalie, you won't see the reason why he's bad. I said weeks ago that Allen played too much and that I would play him less. Then Allen had 10 days without a game, the first time this season and then he gets his first EV shutout. I knew weeks ago he would play better with less workload. Allen was misused for years, no chance for him to grow. I would trade for him because I can see and you are blind, Allen would be a steal.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
But seriously. Elliot, Hutton, Bishop, Halak. All people who outperformed Allen when they were here, and are outperforming him now and doing well in their roles.

Halak just played 3 games in 4 nights and after that in the next game yesterday he fell apart.

I would prefer Allen over those 4 you listed. Allen is 4-5 years younger.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Halak just played 3 games in 4 nights and after that in the next game yesterday he fell apart.

I would prefer Allen over those 4 you listed. Allen is 4-5 years younger.
And that he is younger seems to be why he's there and been there despite being outplayed by backups every year the past 3 seasons. But not that hes good or capable of being a top player.

At the time I thought the Bishop trade was odd but, we have Jake Allen as a young goalie of the Future was, and I see by some. Still is the line used to defend it 7 years later.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And that he is younger seems to be why he's there and been there despite being outplayed by backups every year the past 3 seasons. But not that hes good or capable of being a top player.

At the time I thought the Bishop trade was odd but, we have Jake Allen as a young goalie of the Future was, and I see by some. Still is the line used to defend it 7 years later.
I mean, Bishop was an .896% goalie in St. Louis (I understand it was only 13 games) and was already 25 by the time they got rid of him. Not to mention that his AHL numbers were pretty mediocre to average with Peoria as well. So I think letting go of him if you were St. Louis at the time is probably the same as, if not even less suspect than Dallas letting go of Jack Campbell. This only looks bad in hindsight.

And for what it's worth, Bishop is injured a lot and it seems to come at the most inopportune times. Like either in the middle of the playoffs (that's happened twice in the last several years) or right before the playoffs down the stretch (that's also happened 2 times in the last 5 years), causing your team to either get swept in the first round or miss out on the playoffs altogether like last year. In 4 of his last 5 years, he's been injured during the playoffs twice (he played through most of it in 2015) and was injured late in the season 2 other times. And the 1 other time was when he spent the season between Tampa and LA and missed the playoffs completely.

If anything, maybe Armstrong should have tried to sign Bishop when he was a UFA in 2017. Or did LA trade his rights to Dallas before he hit the market? If so then never mind.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Allen is better than his current play - but he's just not that good. The Blues need to move on...
Pretty much this. It seems like his numbers will progress to the mean by the end of the season. The mean being average to below average.

I think at the very least, the Blues need to make him their backup. They need to treat him as if he were Chad Johnson and upgrade starter.

Reactions: Halak Ness Monster

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
@Bleedred

Neat idea, by the way. Was curious about your method.

Anyway, I think we're mostly in agreement that Allen, and as much as this pains me to say it, may not be the answer in net for the Blues.

I'm patient and willing to give it time, but he's shown me a lot at this point.

Reactions: Bleedred

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
What do you mean I sound like I'm talking about Johnson? He was blown up in 2 of his 3 starts? Well he did have a shutout (or was it a one goal against game?) in one, which is something Schneider hasn't done in quite a while.

In fact Schneider has allowed 3 goals in his last 16 consecutive starts in the regular season and hasn't won any of them. The last time he allowed fewer than 3 in the regular season was December 27th of 2017. He did allow 2 goals in all 3 of his starts against Tampa in the playoffs, but his save percentage is .908% over his last 107 or 108 NHL games played, going back to October 2016. That's even including his excellent playoff series. I think it's about .907% if you take away those 3.5 games. It might even be .906% going back to November of 2016 and his last 95 or so games played, as he had one of his best October's in his career in 2016, before falling off about a week or so before Thanksgiving.

I do think he's been a bit unlucky to not have a single win in those 16 regular season starts, as a lot of goalies can have a win while allowing 3 goals. So he probably should have won 2-3 of those games, so the wins are irrelevant to me. What isn't irrelevant is his 16 straight regular season starts of allowing at least 3 goals. That's troubling. I'm waiting for him to have a 2 goal against game just on complete accident, with 3 shots hitting the post and 2 very soft goals against, but that hasn't even happened for him in the regular season since then and he's lost his starting job due to not making enough saves.

In conclusion, I think you are worse off with his contract than Allen's, as I believe the Blues are a cap ceiling team, if not close to it. I'm hoping we buy out Schneider after this year. I think it needs to happen. I super strongly believe it needs to happen. If he's not forced into LTIRement.

No apologies I mean the slow 50 year old man goalie :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->