Jake Allen

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Averman11, Oct 18, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Averman11

Averman11 Registered User

After his contract is up, what do you think his future will be? I'm not expecting him to finish out his contract with the Blues at this point but does he turn it around in another city? Does he become a career backup or is he just plain out of the league at that point? Guy has been a loser in every level he's played. In juniors he choked in the playoffs, in the World juniors he choked in the Gold medal game, in the AHL (even when he won goalie of the year) he choked in the playoffs.

Since being a starter with the Blues he has lost his job twice to the backup, had to be told to stay home from a road trip on a couple of occasions so he could get his mind straight. He continues to get worse and worse every year.

So what does everyone think? Where will he be in a few years?

2. WTFMAN99

WTFMAN99 Registered User

AC
    SHARE MY BLOG! FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER! WTFMAN999
    I had suggested if CBJ were out of the playoffs and STL was in to go for Bobrovsky...didn't seem to be a lot of interest from STL fans in that idea.

3. Averman11

I mean unless Columbus wants to take back Allen and retain 50% on Bobrovsky, I don't see how that's possible.

4. Holymakinaw

Holymakinaw Registered User

things for money.
    Nah. I think he'll turn it around and have a great year this year. No matter how much the first 5 games make some fans feel like panicking and starting reactionary threads. ;)

t0nedeff likes this.
  5. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Crawlin W/Dahlin

He doesent look like the problem right now.

That being said a team with hopes like the blues should really have a better option then chad Johnson at this point, I know he had his years but my god....

I think Allen’s okay, team just needs to gel or new coaching.

frostyflo likes this.
  6. Averman11

If I titled this thread "Tyler Bozak" and in the thread said that he was the worst signing of the year and he's completely useless and wonder if he's going to be out of the league in 3 years when his contract is up. Then yeah, you could say what you said.

On the other hand, Allen has been playing like this his whole career. He was one of the main reasons the Blues missed the playoffs last year. He's just so anti-clutch. He gets worse in big moments and when the pressure is on.

7. Averman11

What do you mean he doesn't look like the problem? He's played 5 games this year

5GA
    5GA
    3GA
    4GA
    3GA

That is awful goal tending and some of the goals he lets in are just so bad. Go back to last night and look at the first goal.

8. TheJackAttack

Score more goals then. He’s one guy.

You have a team of 16 guys’.

Look at the number of goals your Complaining about letting in the last three games.

Really?

What about team defence? Or is just all one guys fault. Every team needs a scapegoat I guess.

What about awful goal scoring? Where is Tarasenko? He’s only scored in one game this year, no? ROR hasn’t scored despite his assists, schenn and Schwartz were doing twice as good at this time last year. Aren’t they at fault?

What about awful team defence? I hear petriangelo hasn’t been great and again he looked like a would he Norris winner this time last year.

What about awful coaching? Are any of those three things great right now? If your answer is no to any one of them, if not more then one then no Allen is not THE problem. He can be a problem but not THE problem.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    EurlichBachman and Dbrownss like this.
  9. Averman11

The Blues have scored 1, 4, 5. 3, 2 goals in the games Allen has played. That's an average of 3 goals per game which in the NHL should be enough to win.

I mean it's clearly not ONLY his fault, but he isn't a goalie you can rely on to take you farther. He is a backup. He can't mentally handle the pressure. If you bothered to read my original post, I talked about not just these 5 games but over his whole career. His whole career has been bad.

10. TheJackAttack

Well then blame blues management. I’m more a guy who blames the root of the problem rather then the problem. If I hve a cough, I don’t blame my cough I find out what’s causing it. But that’s me.

That being said there has to be accountability and you’re right, those are decent goal totals but Allen’s numbers against haven’t been atrocious. They just haven't been very good. If his whole careers been bad (I remember him being good at the beginning) then why would you expect the blues to be good if he and chad Johnson were your goalies? Or maybe you knew this was coming? I still think team defence needs to be blamed almost as much as goaltending. You can’t just look at Number and say it’s his fault. Im saying this because you said some if the goals have been bad.
    Not all goals are his fault.

11. koyvoo

koyvoo unsustainable

Inconsistent

12. Averman11

People have been saying for the past few years that "not all of the goals are his fault". He is a starting goalie in the NHL, his only job is to stop the puck. He isn't doing that enough to be a starter in the league. That's the bottom line.

Some of the goals he's let in have been extremely weak, and he usually lets in an early one and ruins the confidence of the team for the rest of the game. It's so hard to play in front of a shaky goalie.

If you go look at a lot of videos before the season started about ranking teams and how well teams will do, a majority of them said it will come down to Jake Allen and that's because he's been so inconsistent over his career. I think for a lot of Blues fans this was his last shot, and after the start he's had. I'm just finally over it. I'm sick of his weak mind and his need for babying. It's time the Blues move on and find a goalie who can help this team win. It's too good of a team to waste on a goalie like Allen.

13. izzy

izzy go

other than last night, he has been. same with last season.

if hutton starts 5 more games last year, we make the playoffs no problem

sfvega likes this.
  14. Default

Default Groomed for disappointment

I’m not a big fan of Allen, but it’s kind of difficult to stop pucks when your team constantly falls apart every game.... it’s literally been just about every game so far. He has had a couple games where I thought he gave it his all to keep us in the game too and the team just says no we don’t wanna win this one. You hate to see it honestly.

On the overall spectrum though, he does have some high highs, but when he’s playing poor, man is he bad lol.

15. Le Tricolore

Le Tricolore Boo! BOOOOO!

He didn't look great yesterday, especially on Montreal's first goal. Can't fault anyone but him on that.

16. Seb

Seb Put Mete at center

Should've saved Domi's shot yesterday, it was awful

BruinsBtn likes this.
  17. renhel

renhel Registered User

Allen is not a starter, he doesn't benefit from playing more games. Playing him in 5 of the first 6 games makes no sense and not playing Johnson for 2 weeks is bad too.

In the first game Oct 4 against WPG Allen had 4 goals against on 8 shots in the 3rd period, a melt down, why play him 2 days later again.

Ask coach Alexander why he is doing this. Allen is on a pace for 68 games to start the season when Allen plays better with less workload.

18. Dbrownss

Dbrownss Registered User

Seems like the Blues will be on the outside looking in before Columbus, goaltending isnt saving the team but its it's no the number 1 issue.
    he absolutely should have had that, but he also had several great saves. This team is a mess

19. EurlichBachman

EurlichBachman Registered User

You are also neglecting the game in Chicago when he made 46 freaking saves. The only reason they got a point that night was because of him. He hasn't been great this year, but the team defense has been trash.

Maybe if Hutton starts 5 more games last year they make the playoffs and get steamrolled by Nashville. If you want to dig into last year can we also look at the powerplay? 30th in the league with a 15% conversion rate. That was the real issue. Convert a few more powerplays and they are in the playoffs easily.

20. EurlichBachman

EurlichBachman Registered User

Okay, and go back to the game in Chicago when he had 46 saves and earned the team a point. I am hardly a fan of Allen, but the problems are much deeper than him. Right now the team defense is just plain bad.

21. izzy

izzy go

at the end of the day, whoever the other goalie is for the blues, the team plays better in front of them, the goalie plays better than allen and the team wins more games

and thats all i need to know

TomDelonge likes this.
  22. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

23. Bonzo111

Bonzo111 Registered User

I agree, he's a backup, will never be a starter in this league. He's just not good.

24. Filthy Dangles

Filthy Dangles Registered User

25. Averman11

That's my point. He's not a starter but he's currently getting starter money and a starter workload.