Value of: Jake Allen

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
For the Islanders their giving Robin Lehner a chance to prove he can be a number 1 goalie to me it won't work out.
For the hurricanes Scott Darling is a perfect number two goalie and I don't expect Mrazek to get resigned.
For Vancouver I was never sold on Markstrom end of story there.

Lehner/Greiss could play in a tandem and go from there. Isles could have done better but they have other problems.

Mrazek/Darling should play in a tandem too and see how it goes. They should have done that last season with Ward/Darling ... but they wanted to be last in the league in EVsavepct. I would trade Fleury for Mrazek +.

Why needed Markstrom to start 57 games. VAN signed Nilsson for 2.5M but started him only in 24 games. I would trade Fleury for Markstrom +.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I think the Blues would be better of holding onto Allen and playing him 40-50 games. He seems to play better when he's not the bonafide starter and his trade value is at an all-time low right now.

I think Allen's lowest value was in the middle of 2016-17. So it's already on the way up. I would keep him and start him less and not b2b. STL has to hope that Johnson can help.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Jake Allen had very comparable stats to Braden Holtby (lowest 2 save %'s among starting goalies) last season...and we saw how that turned out for Holtby.

The previous year, he had a middle of the pack save % among starting goalies.

Allen has also proven he can play well in the playoffs under pressure.

Although not ideal, I think the Blues will be fine with Allen for now.

Reactions: Morinisbear

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Allen and Thomas for Lundqvist retained.

That's probably an overshoot but it would take a pretty penny to take on Allen's contract on top of Lundqvist value. On top of retention.
That will never happen. Sorry but Lundqvist is pretty much done. His contract is bad. So no thanks.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Lehner/Greiss could play in a tandem and go from there. Isles could have done better but they have other problems.

Mrazek/Darling should play in a tandem too and see how it goes. They should have done that last season with Ward/Darling ... but they wanted to be last in the league in EVsavepct. I would trade Fleury for Mrazek +.

Why needed Markstrom to start 57 games. VAN signed Nilsson for 2.5M but started him only in 24 games. I would trade Fleury for Markstrom +.
Idk if the islanders are in a slight rebuild,Hurricanes idk about with goalies and I was never sold on Markstrom to begin with.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
A gift card to Blockbuster video
tenor.gif

Reactions: sfvega

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
GM Armstrong has supposedly told Allen that he wouldn't be moved in the off-season. JR did an interview with Allen in the Athletic detailing such. For better or worse, Allen is our guy for at least the beginning of the year. I don't think DA would hesitate to pay to make him go away if the season was in jeopardy though. Hopefully we don't have to make that choice as anywhere near average goaltending should be enough to have the Blues go deep in the playoffs with this roster.

That's interesting. Combined with bringing in a total schmo of a backup in Chad Johnson, it really seems like the Blues front office are going all in on trying to pump Allens tires and remove mental hurdles and fear for his job.

I can't say i altogether blame them, as the Blues are obviously in a pretty "win now" mode and there just isn't much on the market that's going to touch what Allen can do when he's on his game and in the right mindset. The question is just...what happens if it continues to be a rollercoaster with him, and there is no viable backup plan in house to salvage the season? Big risk if they end up over a barrel trying to desperately save a season if Allen doesn't become a more consistent netminder. But then...probably the same barrel they'd be over if they wanted to bring in someone clearly better right now anyway. So maybe it's the smart play.

As a Canucks fan, i'd certainly swap him for Markstrom...but that wouldn't really do anything for St.Louis.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
That's interesting. Combined with bringing in a total schmo of a backup in Chad Johnson, it really seems like the Blues front office are going all in on trying to pump Allens tires and remove mental hurdles and fear for his job.

I can't say i altogether blame them, as the Blues are obviously in a pretty "win now" mode and there just isn't much on the market that's going to touch what Allen can do when he's on his game and in the right mindset. The question is just...what happens if it continues to be a rollercoaster with him, and there is no viable backup plan in house to salvage the season? Big risk if they end up over a barrel trying to desperately save a season if Allen doesn't become a more consistent netminder. But then...probably the same barrel they'd be over if they wanted to bring in someone clearly better right now anyway. So maybe it's the smart play.

As a Canucks fan, i'd certainly swap him for Markstrom...but that wouldn't really do anything for St.Louis.

This is a very accurate summary. Kudos as a non-Blues fan. I am a big Allen detractor. But I don't advocate trading him at this point. We'd either get an equally problematic goalie back who doesn't have Allen's upside if he ever gets his head on straight, or we get no goalie back and roll with Johnson and a rookie. We should have made a move at the draft/free agency when there were a few options (although none great). The only trade for a goalie I'd consider is if Philly was interested ins something around a Allen for Elliott swap. But I was a big fan of his when he was a Blue, so that may be my bias talking.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Chad Johnson has proven in the not too distant past to be a very capable NHL backup given a decent team in front of him. I would be very surprised if he does not post AT LEAST league average numbers behind the d-core and overall team defensive system Yeo and the Blues employ.

Now, can Johnson "salvage the season" if Allen shits the bed again? Fair question, and I would be skeptical of Johnson leading the team on a deep playoff run if that's the definition of salvaging. But the roster in front of him, I think Johnson could absolutely start ~40 games and back stop the Blues to a playoff birth.

As far as in house backup plans go tho, Ville Husso has to be part of that conversation. Being a rookie with no NHL experience, it's fair to question his ability to save a season if Allen collapses again. He's a relative wild card, but definitely has that potential at least.

Reactions: TK 421

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Allen just biding his time until Ville Husso steals his job.

Exactly. Husso is very capable of coming in and taking the No.1 spot outright aside from racking up some crazy starts total which won't happen anyway with Allen/Johnson as the pair to start the season.

However as a late season option he's very much in the picture. Doug Armstrong has demonstrated a break in policy this summer regarding goaltenders giving Johnson only a 1 year deal. This organizational shift in policy is due entirely to having a top notch tender in Husso.

Bottom line here is the Blues aren't screwed if Allen flops. Husso doesn't care about feelings, feelings are for mortals like Jake Allen and therefore are of no consequence to him. The kid has the demeanor of a serial killer and doesn't even seem to register a bad goal. Basically the complete opposite of Allen in temperament and a better fit for our system stylistically imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son of Petter

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Chad Johnson has proven in the not too distant past to be a very capable NHL backup given a decent team in front of him. I would be very surprised if he does not post AT LEAST league average numbers behind the d-core and overall team defensive system Yeo and the Blues employ.

Now, can Johnson "salvage the season" if Allen ****s the bed again? Fair question, and I would be skeptical of Johnson leading the team on a deep playoff run if that's the definition of salvaging. But the roster in front of him, I think Johnson could absolutely start ~40 games and back stop the Blues to a playoff birth.

As far as in house backup plans go tho, Ville Husso has to be part of that conversation. Being a rookie with no NHL experience, it's fair to question his ability to save a season if Allen collapses again. He's a relative wild card, but definitely has that potential at least.

Going to give this post a big thumbs up re: Johnson.

Look no further than the past 2 backups signed in Elliott and Hutton, the pro scouts and ultimately Armstrong have proven very adept at identifying the right guy to target for that role.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Husso doesn't care about feelings, feelings are for mortals like Jake Allen and therefore are of no consequence to him. The kid has the demeanor of a serial killer and doesn't even seem to register a bad goal. Basically the complete opposite of Allen in temperament and a better fit for our system stylistically imo.
images

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Look no further than the past 2 backups signed in Elliott and Hutton, the pro scouts and ultimately Armstrong have proven very adept at identifying the right guy to target for that role.

I doubt pro scouts have anything to do with goalies. The goalie coaching staff might make decisions. Now it might be David Alexander who is in charge. Since STL drafted Hofer last June I doubt they would have drafted Husso again if he were 5 years younger. Something changed in STL and I think changed to the good.

Doug Armstrong has demonstrated a break in policy this summer regarding goaltenders giving Johnson only a 1 year deal. This organizational shift in policy is due entirely to having a top notch tender in Husso.

Giving Johnson only a 1 year contract was easy. Johnson had a bad season and couldn't ask for more. The only time he got a multi year contract beside his ELC was 2014 with the Isles. 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016 and 2017 Johnson signed only 1 year contracts too.

1 year contracts for goalies are always good, they are in a contract year and might not become lazy in the offseason like Johnson might have become after he signed with the Isles.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Jake Allen had very comparable stats to Braden Holtby (lowest 2 save %'s among starting goalies) last season...and we saw how that turned out for Holtby.

The previous year, he had a middle of the pack save % among starting goalies.

Allen has also proven he can play well in the playoffs under pressure.

Although not ideal, I think the Blues will be fine with Allen for now.

Agree with this 100%. I would love to have him in Philly until Carter Hart is ready but I think I'm the only one!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad