Value of: Jake Allen

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Well, Allen is paid like an average starter, 4.3ish Million, for 3 more years. So no one would trade for him unles they thought he could be their starter for the next 3 years. No too many teams need a starter, especially not one with up and down results in that role.

He would have no value to the teams I follow most (Leafs, Hawks, Coyotes). But to other teams he might. Perhaps a swap of a similar goalie for a change of scenery kind of thing. That's the only way I see a team willing to meet the trade price and the dollars/cap price, by sending something similar back.

But I think the team he would have the most value to is the Blues.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

The hope is that he would be more valuable to another team as he would be a better fit. Allen would excel in a higher shot-count environment that prioritizes clearing the goalies sight lines. Blues prioritize shot suppression and pushing the puck wide. Allen struggles with his angles from wide and seeing through traffic, as well as mental lapses when he doesn't see much action. That doesn't work when we are pushing the play wide and/or clogging the middle trying to block shots, as well as trying to maintain possession in our end. Different team, he has the athleticism and skills to be a good stater. Its just doubtful he can in our system.

So hopefully, for his career, he is not most valuable to the Blues.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Nothing to most teams. He is another goalie who is a 1B.. Stretches of elite play followed by stretches of mental weakness and inconsistency. You only take them if you think they can put it all together but most of the time they don't.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
OTT really going to put 9M into goalies for Anderson and Allen the next 2 years?
if Stone leaves after the 2018/19 season, why not... we will need to reach the floor somehow. At the rate that it's going, the cap should endup between 83.5M-84.M next season which would put the floor at around 62.5M

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Allen and Thomas for Lundqvist retained.

That's probably an overshoot but it would take a pretty penny to take on Allen's contract on top of Lundqvist value. On top of retention.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I like Husso but I think the Blues would be better of holding onto Allen and playing him 40-50 games. He seems to play better when he's not the bonafide starter and his trade value is at an all-time low right now. For hypothetical sake, I could see someone like the Panthers or Canes being interested (if they could get someone to take Darling).

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
If your willing to take Condon OTT could be interested

When it was announced that Anderson had requested a trade, I thought an Allen-for-Anderson deal might make some sense for both teams. Anderson gets two years to push the Blues toward playoff success and then hands the reins to Husso. Meanwhile, Allen gets a chance to rebound a little closer to home in eastern Canada. Their actual salaries over the next two seasons are very close (Allen makes an extra $50K), and it would only add $400K to the Blues cap. Allen/Condon can battle it out or go for a 1A/1B situation.

Reactions: stl76

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The hope is that he would be more valuable to another team as he would be a better fit. Allen would excel in a higher shot-count environment that prioritizes clearing the goalies sight lines. Blues prioritize shot suppression and pushing the puck wide. Allen struggles with his angles from wide and seeing through traffic, as well as mental lapses when he doesn't see much action. That doesn't work when we are pushing the play wide and/or clogging the middle trying to block shots, as well as trying to maintain possession in our end. Different team, he has the athleticism and skills to be a good stater. Its just doubtful he can in our system.

So hopefully, for his career, he is not most valuable to the Blues.

Sounds like he'd excel on the caps though obviously he's not coming here unless he's bought out and needs a league minimum gig.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
What do you believe the value of Jake Allen is for your team in a trade situation, if any? What assets would you trade and what role would he serve with your franchise?

Vegas wouldn't do this, but I would trade Fleury for Allen +.
Fleury is not much better than Allen, but 4.35M is much better than 7M.
I would use Allen in a tandem.
What would STL add to get Fleury?

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
Damn I really want to believe STL will take the next step but I just cannot buy into it with that goaltending, how many chances is this dude gonna get???

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Damn I really want to believe STL will take the next step but I just cannot buy into it with that goaltending, how many chances is this dude gonna get???
I don't see any more after this. There didnt seem to be any obvious choices other then to ride him out. Handing the reigns over to Husso would be foolish and imo....even banking on the guy just reeks of groundhog day crap....because we did it with Allen.

See if they can get his mind right because when Allen is on, he's awesome.

Reactions: 67Blues

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
To me their are 4 teams that should consider Jake Allen.
1. New York Islanders
2. Carolina Hurricanes
3. Vancouver Canucks
4. Ottawa Senators.
For the Islanders their giving Robin Lehner a chance to prove he can be a number 1 goalie to me it won't work out. For the hurricanes Scott Darling is a perfect number two goalie and I don't expect Mrazek to get resigned.
For Vancouver I was never sold on Markstrom end of story there. And Ottawa I would love Anderson and Have Jake Allen be the goalie with Condon as backup until Gustavsson is ready.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
GM Armstrong has supposedly told Allen that he wouldn't be moved in the off-season. JR did an interview with Allen in the Athletic detailing such. For better or worse, Allen is our guy for at least the beginning of the year. I don't think DA would hesitate to pay to make him go away if the season was in jeopardy though. Hopefully we don't have to make that choice as anywhere near average goaltending should be enough to have the Blues go deep in the playoffs with this roster.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
His value is nothing based on the combination of the contract and the player. I don't think Jake Allen is too good and at $4.35 for 2 more years you wouldn't get a conditional 7th from me. I'd rather have Lehner.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Well, Allen is paid like an average starter, 4.3ish Million, for 3 more years. So no one would trade for him unles they thought he could be their starter for the next 3 years. No too many teams need a starter, especially not one with up and down results in that role.

He would have no value to the teams I follow most (Leafs, Hawks, Coyotes). But to other teams he might. Perhaps a swap of a similar goalie for a change of scenery kind of thing. That's the only way I see a team willing to meet the trade price and the dollars/cap price, by sending something similar back.

If Crawford is gone long-term, I think Chicago could definitely use Allen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->