Jake Allen

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
30 games is a statistically insignificant time frame. The nearly 200 career regular season starts on the other hand, are a much more significant sample size. I’m drawing my conclusions based on the latter, not the former.

That’s not to say Allen is the only one at fault for this losing streak because he’s obviously not. I just don’t and haven’t seen him as the solution for quite a while.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Allen is not eve close to our biggest issue right now, and it’s unfair to pin our terrible team defense in him. Lots of line changes are happening right now, and players are beinexposed when they don’t know how to play defensively together. Barbashev and Tarasenko were great, but Tarasenko needs to be better defensively, and needs forwards that know what they are doing when he decides to take off and score.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
So why was Brodeur effective with him?
Brodeur forced him to change to a more fundamentally sound style...forced good habits such as stick on the ice, more compact movement instead of out of control slides, etc.

I watched Allen's first 10 games this year and thought that he had lost a lot of what he had been practicing under Brodeur. It was pretty clear he didn't spend the summer attempting to ingrain these new movements into his permanent muscle memory and game. It's hard to change 25 years worth of muscle memory. He would need to drill very hard and consistently to do so. I also think it was unwise to bring in his old coach....who allowed him to play with these bad habits in the first place.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
It all goes back to why Elliott was dominant here, and had a good number of shutouts. He’s a far more positional goalie, and given our team structure and elite team defense, he looked amazing. Elliott even stole some games for us in the playoffs despite not being that good of a goalie on other teams.

If Allen can be come more positionally sound, then we’ve got an elite goaltender on or hands. On the bright side, you can’t teach athleticism, but you can teach positioning. It’s the next step for him, and if he can take it, he can start getting some shutouts and steal games for us when it matters. Until then, he will be consistently inconsistent to the tune of some streaky play - on the whole good.

It's not just positioning, it's how he gets from position to position....he lacks good fundamentals in both areas.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Allen is 27 years old. He’s a grown ass man. Goalie coaches aren’t around to hold a guy’s hand. Mitch Korn himself can’t fix Allen’s issue, which is between the ears. There’s only so much they can do. They can identify slight technical flaws but it’s up to the goalie to actually fix it. He’s on his third goalie coach and still having the same problem. At what point do we admit this is on Allen?
There are people called sports psychologists. Is Mitch Korn one?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Brodeur forced him to change to a more fundamentally sound style...forced good habits such as stick on the ice, more compact movement instead of out of control slides, etc.

I watched Allen's first 10 games this year and thought that he had lost a lot of what he had been practicing under Brodeur. It was pretty clear he didn't spend the summer attempting to ingrain these new movements into his permanent muscle memory and game. It's hard to change 25 years worth of muscle memory. He would need to drill very hard and consistently to do so. I also think it was unwise to bring in his old coach....who allowed him to play with these bad habits in the first place.
I share the same thoughts.

Still though....kinda rediculous Brodeur can flip his switch overnight.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
No he’s not, but I do consider him to be the pre-eminent goaltending coach of the last 15 years.
What I mean to say is if Allen’s problems are between the ears, then what does Korn have to do with anything? It seems he should see a sports psychologist.

Also age doesn’t matter. Tim Thomas proved you can get better with age as a goalie.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I know it's been kinda bad for awhile. But, I think Jake got rattled when he got ran into a few games back, He hasn't looked the same since then.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think Jake secretly has an account on here and reads all the shit that is said.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
We've been saying the same things about Allen for years now and people still are saying "Well let's just hold on for a minute. He could get better." He's an average goalie who cannot be relied on as a starter. We are kinda stuck with him though so I guess it's just best to wait for Husso or the next goalie. I honestly don't think Allen is even better than Halak was for the Blues.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Wasn't Allen playing out of his mind the first 10 games / 2 months of the season?

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I looked on hockey-reference and compared Jake to J. Quick. I compared their same age seasons and Jonathan Quick didn't hit his stride in the league as a top end goalie until their cup year of 2011/2012. As far as seasons in the league, that's this year for Jake. Up until that point, their numbers are very similar. I'm not saying Jake is J. Quick. I'm saying most goalies don't fully develop until around 28 it seems. Bishop, Quick, Crawford, are 3 that come to mind who were in the league 5-6 years before becoming a true #1 and reaching their potential. Again, I'm not trying to defend Allen. He's played awful his last 3 starts. Before that, he was playing well, but not getting goal support. I'm arguing that we don't know if something will finally click next year, and he won't have this mid-season funk.

JR's article pointed out that he always seems to have a dip in the middle months of the season. It looks like a definite trend, but like I said, maybe he figures something out by next year and reaches his full potential for the whole season.

I'm for giving Binnington and/or Husso a shot next year if they're ready. One of them might be the long term answer. If Jake can't figure that part out and Armstrong really needs to move him, I guarantee, there will be a taker.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I don't think read/comprehended a thing he said

Are you saying you don't comprehend it or Ranksu doesn't? Here's the short version.

Jake is a year shy of the typical age goalies seem to enter their prime in the NHL. Jake is =/= J.Quick in his prime, they just had similar numbers before Quick took off. I'm opening the possibility that Jake could figure it out. I'm open to the idea that Binnington or Husso could be up next season and challenge Jake. I also think if it came down to it, Armstrong could easily trade Jake.

There...is that simplistic enough for you?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Are you saying you don't comprehend it or Ranksu doesn't? Here's the short version.

Jake is a year shy of the typical age goalies seem to enter their prime in the NHL. Jake is =/= J.Quick in his prime, they just had similar numbers before Quick took off. I'm opening the possibility that Jake could figure it out. I'm open to the idea that Binnington or Husso could be up next season and challenge Jake. I also think if it came down to it, Armstrong could easily trade Jake.

There...is that simplistic enough for you?
No, I edited that...forgot "you". Its 18° and im on my phone. Going to be alot ot typos today lol.

I understood what you were saying.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
If Jake isn’t the answer, then Hutton isn’t either. His statistical track record isn’t very impressive. So who has an answer if they don’t think it’s Jake?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad