Jake Allen

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Controlling the Box--Goaltending

I had similar training when I was at the police academy. You can't beat physics. I don't think Jake has a fundamental misunderstanding of the game. I think he tries to use his athleticism too much. He stayed solid in goal against Mini last year and made some spectacular saves when he needed to.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I had similar training when I was at the police academy. You can't beat physics. I don't think Jake has a fundamental misunderstanding of the game. I think he tries to use his athleticism too much. He stayed solid in goal against Mini last year and made some spectacular saves when he needed to.

Yep...I love goaltending and its evolution. Today it's largely tracking the puck and controlling and trusting the geometry. The really great ones--Marty, Lundqvist, Price, etc. are a treat to watch.

By the way, you can see a little of Brodeur in Jake's technique from late last season... short controlled motions. Interesting also to see Marty stress (in the second video) trying to minimize getting your legs too far apart.

In any case, this is more in the way of general discussion for those who find goaltending an interesting topic.

Last edited:

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I think Jake's better than his numbers say. The Blues have won all of their games this season leading after two periods. He's given up a few dumpster goals and a few good goals after the game has already be essentially decided. I bet he goes to .912 or whatever his usual save percentage is by the end of the season.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Yep...I love goaltending and its evolution. Today it's largely tracking the puck and controlling and trusting the geometry. The really great ones--Marty, Lundqvist, Price, etc. are a treat to watch.

By the way, you can see a little of Brodeur in Jake's technique from late last season... short controlled motions.
Tried and True. I can use a fire hydrant to be invisible by only moving 10 feet back.

Reactions: carter333167

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Husso developes NHL caliber goaltender you all gonna like his calm, positionally sounded and good rebound control play, not flashy tho like Allen. You don't even notice him at game.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
If Husso developes NHL caliber goaltender you all gonna like his calm, positionally sounded and good rebound control play, not flashy tho like Allen. You don't even notice him at game.
I've only seen Husso play a couple of times. He appeared to be a systematic goalie. He's probably more of a "consistent" goalie (if there is such a thing). It seems to be a Finnish trait.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Best comparable on Husso is to Kari Lehtonen.
tenor.gif

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Jake will be fine. he's not carey price. he'll have his ups and downs int he regular season. As long as he pulls a corey crawford and gets red hot come playoff time i'm happy.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
After the second half of last year and most of this season, I think Jake is good enough to win games, but he also knows when to turn up the intensity when he has to. I don't see him using all of his mental focus throughout the season, but he has been more "scrambly" this year than when he turned into a god.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->