Jagr vs Crosby, who "was" more talented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aug 3, 2010
Crosby is not going to match up well against Jagr here...

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Jagr wouldn't be losing Art Ross' like Crosby has.

Besides his rookie year and 08-09 and 09-10 losing art rosses is because of injuries. Yeah yeah I know injuries count but don't act like Crosby is not a super elite player. 2 art rosses is still impressive.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Better skater? Crosby
Better Passer? even
Better stickhandler? Jagr
Better Backhand? Crosby
Better wrister? Jagr
Better puck possession? Tie
Hockey sense? Crosby

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I honestly don't think there can be a fair assesment. Time and nationality make it so difficult to compare. Crosby had the biggest hype ever and the expectations were way too high. I'm sure we will see even crazier hype in the near future tho. There's still difference between net in 2000s and 2010s or 2020s.
Jagr came from a just opened system, in a time when most people didn't know who any Czech junior was except for a few showings.
So the expectations never were even in the same division. Don't think we ever knew what Jagr's talent ceiling was. He sure did blow the roof tho eventually.
Crosby in my opinion hasn't quite lived up to the crazy hype.

The only thing IMO to actually answer what I guess is the spirit of the thread is, that Crosby's injuries prevented him from ever reaching the projections/potential.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Besides his rookie year and 08-09 and 09-10 losing art rosses is because of injuries. Yeah yeah I know injuries count but don't act like Crosby is not a super elite player. 2 art rosses is still impressive.

Jagr played in an era where clutch and grab was very common, yet he played under 75 games twice (counting 95-96 until the lockout).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Jagr had better hands, was stronger and had a better shot.He was also a much better one-on-one player.

Crosby is more athletic.Actually it's hard to describe why Crosby is so good.On paper he shouldn't be :laugh:

I would think Crosby is smarter than Jagr as well.

Overall I think when people think of hockey talent for a forward superstar they think of hands, puck control, one-on-one moves, shots, so Jagr was more talented than Crosby going by this definition.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Better skater? Crosby
Better Passer? even
Better Backhand? Crosby
Better wrister? Jagr
Hockey sense? Crosby

Is Crosby a better skater than Jagr? I'm not so sure about that, but could be.

Puck possession goes to Jagr very easily.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Jagr had better hands, was stronger and had a better shot.He was also a much better one-on-one player.

Crosby is more athletic.Actually it's hard to describe why Crosby is so good.On paper he shouldn't be :laugh:

I would think Crosby is smarter than Jagr as well.

Overall I think when people think of hockey talent for a forward superstar they think of hands, puck control, one-on-one moves, shots, so Jagr was more talented than Crosby going by this definition.

I would give Crosby hockey sense, work ethic, and hand-eye coordination.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I would give Crosby hockey sense, work ethic, and hand-eye coordination.

I wouldn't include work ethic in talent, even if we could debate the definition of the word to death, it's not what people normally mean by talent.To illustrate my point, people often say:"He had so much talent, if only he had the work ethic..." when talking about someone with natural abilities that couldn't put it together (Like Alex Kovalev).

I would give hockey sense to Crosby as well, but it's debatable whether this should be included in talent.It's like when we say Lemieux was more talented than Gretzky, I would agree with the statement, but everybody knows Gretzky had more hockey sense than Lemieux.So in that example we excluded hockey sense from our definition of talent and I think it make sense in some arbitrary way.

Eye-hand coordination is an interesting question, it is a talent, but would I give it to Crosby? One-on-one moves and stick handling is quite heavy on eye-hand coordination, and so are shots, yet Jagr beats Crosby in all of those.I don't know.

Belly

Jan 7, 2012
I actually think they are very similar players in style/skill set/individual strengths. They are both ridiculously skilled, with excellent vision, and tremendous puck possession capabilities. Crosby is a better skater, and he would be a more dominant player than Jagr was in his prime if he had Jagr's size.

Jagr's ego (in a good way), determination, and longevity will probably make him go higher on the list of "all time greats" than Crosby. At this rate, they might both retire at the same time, and go into the hall of fame in the same year.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Better skater? Crosby
Better Passer? even
Better Backhand? Crosby
Better wrister? Jagr
Hockey sense? Crosby

-Given Jagr's mobility and size, I'd say skating is a toss up. Jagr covered more ground than Crosby in his prime without question though, if we really want to include the reasoning for skating.
-Puck possession is definitely Jagr, he just might be the best puck possession player of all time with his size/body, reach, skill, butt...lol.
-Hockey sense is the toughest thing to debate imo, I've seen Jagr do more jaw dropping things than Crosby has, but I don't know if that's because of his brain or because of his better hands. That's a tough one.

Why not add here for debate, who do you guys think was better at........

Better at board battles/in the corners?
Better on the point?
Better in front of the net?
Better 1 on 1 player?
Better at breakaways?(Maybe)

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Crosby is definitely a better skater than Jagr. Pre-ankle sprain, he might've been the best skater in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad