Jagr Talks Pens, Mario, Career

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I ask this question:

What did Jagr do to try intrench his legacy here beyond his contractual duties?

What I remember is wanting to be traded well before he left. Years before.

There are a lot of things that matter beyond just a "I'm dying Alive" slogan. He wanted out and he had to wait until his contractual duties to be pretty much ended, since the team had no intentions on trading him until they had no option but to trade him. He wasn't making any efforts about wanting to stay.

The only iconic number he reached as a Pen was his 1000th point. (1079)

The scoring titles, 5 as a Pen and in all those years only one Hart.

His 500 (Caps)/ 600 (NYR)/ 700 (NJD) goals elsewhere
His 1000 assist with Dallas

He scored 842 points (NHL), (CZE/RSL) 394 = 1236 after

Goals: 327 (NHL), (CZE/RSL) 173 = 500 after

Jagr got what he wanted, and he owes us nothing, just as we only owe him for what he's done as a Pen and nothing more... He's done nothing for Pittsburgh since. Only coming here when contractually obligated.

I'd have no problems with a statue, or some millennial's shrine, but a jersey in the rafters needs "a lot" more.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Man, the social clubs were insane. I got invited to one, once, about 15 years ago and it was like a combination mob joint, afterhours club, and restaurant. :laugh: I wonder if they're still around?

They are, but they are getting thinner and thinner. We have to remember that these were born out of the generations before us. Memberships are down mostly due to people doing less drinking, and higher costs to drink out. Drinking at home more. I was a member of the Polish and Slovak clubs up in the New Ken area in the 90's and hit some others as a guest as well. Even back then it was easy to drop $50 to $100 bucks a night hitting bars and then to the social clubs and eating out. Oh, don't forget the (.)(.) bars...:naughty:

Edit: Don't forget a lot of clubs/bars had cover charges at the door ranging from $5 to $15 bucks. Some due to bars with bands and some due to dance clubs.

Last edited:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I think the good memories are starting to outweigh the bad ones I have of Jagr for me atleast. Time just lessens the feelings of animosity I guess

It’s been 11+ years since Jags gave us his final “f*** you” and signed with Philly. Man time just disappears the older you get.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
They are, but they are getting thinner and thinner. We have to remember that these were born out of the generations before us. Memberships are down mostly due to people doing less drinking, and higher costs to drink out. Drinking at home more. I was a member of the Polish and Slovak clubs up in the New Ken area in the 90's and hit some others as a guest as well. Even back then it was easy to drop $50 to $100 bucks a night hitting bars and then to the social clubs and eating out. Oh, don't forget the (.)(.) bars...:naughty:

Edit: Don't forget a lot of clubs/bars had cover charges at the door ranging from $5 to $15 bucks. Some due to bars with bands and some due to dance clubs.
Yeah, that's a shame. I didn't know any out that way, most of the ones I knew about were down towards the East End/South Side. I hope they keep going, it's always a shame to lose local socialization spots like that.

Also, man I had the best chicken paprikáš in the one I went to, and that includes versions of the dish in the old country.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Even if you’re a dramatic prima donna, if you win 5 scoring titles and two cups with a team you get your number retired.

I think the good memories are starting to outweigh the bad ones I have of Jagr for me atleast. Time just lessens the feelings of animosity I guess

It’s been 11+ years since Jags gave us his final “f*** you” and signed with Philly. Man time just disappears the older you get.
Since the Pens have won two Cups since then and Jagr didn’t win any, and he also proved he was a good player still yet never got to play with Sid or Geno, he basically only screwed over himself.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah, that's a shame. I didn't know any out that way, most of the ones I knew about were down towards the East End/South Side. I hope they keep going, it's always a shame to lose local socialization spots like that.

Also, man I had the best chicken paprikáš in the one I went to, and that includes versions of the dish in the old country.

Being there as late as I was, most times it's a piece of pizza in a toaster oven. Kitchen was closed. Who wants to keep a kitchen open and cook at (bars closed at 2:00, you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here) 3:00 to 5:00 am? You were there to keep drinking.

I remembered working the 2nd shift (4-12), hit the bar (Stadium bar) and close it, hit the social club and close that, get something to eat in the morning and wait for the bar to open at 8:00 am and drink with the 3rd shift until I had to go and sleep before we did it all over again.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Listen.. Pittsburgh was a struggle in the late 90s. It was not a happening city. It's f***ing AWESOME now. But he has every right. Everything closed at like 9pm. :laugh:

I enjoy his candid stuff.
His 68 needs to be raised & he was Incredible, if Mario had his health & workout regimen & Work ethic Mario would have shattered Gretzky's records

Reactions: Dessloch

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
His 68 needs to be raised & he was Incredible, if Mario had his health & workout regimen & Work ethic Mario would have shattered Gretzky's records
If Mario would have just stayed healthy he would have shattered every and all records for life. Mario is the GOAT.

But also yes.. he sat on a stability ball and smoked a cig. :laugh:

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005

Even if you’re a dramatic prima donna, if you win 5 scoring titles and two cups with a team you get your number retired.

Since the Pens have won two Cups since then and Jagr didn’t win any, and he also proved he was a good player still yet never got to play with Sid or Geno, he basically only screwed over himself.

Jagr did not screw over himself. His goal when he came back to the NHL was not to a final farewell year but the stay long term, which he managed to do and got himself to the 2nd all time place in points. Not too bad, eh? Not exactly what you can call screw himself over in the history books. And his reputation was completely changed during his last 4-5 years in the league. I would say his decision to return to the NHL was a major success.

Jagr wanted to go to a team that would give him 1st line minutes, 1st pp minutes and that could allow him to play the right side on the PP. (that place belonged to Sid & Geno on the Pens)

Add to that the fact that GM Shero never wanted Jagr, lowballed him, withdrew the Pens offer before free agency started. And that the Pens told Jagr to wait until they had signed Tyler Kennedy before making him any offers.

Jagr knew the Pens GM had little interest in signing him, and made a choice that was good for his career!

And then Jagrs Flyers and Bruins went on to eliminate the Penguins in two playoff series, so maybe the Pens screwed themselves over if anyone did :)

But as the Pens did win 2 Cups in short time afterward it was all for the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: frisco

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Jagr did not screw over himself. His goal when he came back to the NHL was not to a final farewell year but the stay long term, which he managed to do and got himself to the 2nd all time place in points. Not too bad, eh? Not exactly what you can call screw himself over in the history books. And his reputation was completely changed during his last 4-5 years in the league. I would say his decision to return to the NHL was a major success.

Jagr wanted to go to a team that would give him 1st line minutes, 1st pp minutes and that could allow him to play the right side on the PP. (that place belonged to Sid & Geno on the Pens)

Add to that the fact that GM Shero never wanted Jagr, lowballed him, withdrew the Pens offer before free agency started. And that the Pens told Jagr to wait until they had signed Tyler Kennedy before making him any offers.

Jagr knew the Pens GM had little interest in signing him, and made a choice that was good for his career!

And then Jagrs Flyers and Bruins went on to eliminate the Penguins in two playoff series, so maybe the Pens screwed themselves over if anyone did :)

But as the Pens did win 2 Cups in short time afterward it was all for the best!
I don’t buy half the things you’re saying. Such as the idea that Jagr couldn’t have flourished in Pittsburgh’s top six and PP, or that Shero didn’t want him at all. There’s blame to go to Shero for sure. As for Jagr getting to 2nd in points that’s great, it would have happened in Pittsburgh too. Seems like you’re just taking Jagrs side for granted entirely though as if he’s not a known liar and drama queen.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
I don’t buy half the things you’re saying. Such as the idea that Jagr couldn’t have flourished in Pittsburgh’s top six and PP, or that Shero didn’t want him at all. There’s blame to go to Shero for sure. As for Jagr getting to 2nd in points that’s great, it would have happened in Pittsburgh too. Seems like you’re just taking Jagrs side for granted entirely though as if he’s not a known liar and drama queen.
Where would you have put Jaromir Jagr on the Pens 1st PP? Jagr had played the same position on the half wall his entire career and that was occupied but Crosby & Malkin. Do you think the Pens would have given Jagr priority over Sid & Geno in their primes? Of course Jagr could have played on the 2nd PP or whatever, but the chances of success was much greater on the Flyers where he fit right in with Giroux.

In theory Jagr could have done decent with the Pens if given enough ice time which was not a given considering the Pens made Tyler Kennedy a priority over Jagr. Jagr had one chance to prove he was still an elite player and could still play a big role in the NHL - and he choose the place where was guaranteed to get that chance over the Penguins who would not guarantee that and also low balled him and did not make him feel like they wanted him which Jagr felt was a sign he would not get the same chances of playing time as with the Flyers.

Jagr did what was the best move for his career, and why would he choose a worse fit while also having to win over all the fans that had booed him for 10 years?

None of this is what "I am saying", its just facts, The Tyler Kennedy thing has for sure not been questioned by anyone at all. As Jagr said "no disrespect to Tyler Kennedy". But when he was told he had to wait until the Pens had signed Kennedy, Jagr knew he was not a priority for the Penguins which made it more likely he would not get the ice time he wanted.

Perhaps the Penguins took Jagr for granted and assumed he would come to play for peanuts and play on the 3rd or 4th line....or perhaps Shero was never keen on Jagr, which seems more likely!
---
Btw, in what way is Jagr a known liar? I must have missed that completely, so I am curious what thats all about!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Where would you have put Jaromir Jagr on the Pens 1st PP? Jagr had played the same position on the half wall his entire career and that was occupied but Crosby & Malkin. Do you think the Pens would have given Jagr priority over Sid & Geno in their primes? Of course Jagr could have played on the 2nd PP or whatever, but the chances of success was much greater on the Flyers where he fit right in with Giroux.

In theory Jagr could have done decent with the Pens if given enough ice time which was not a given considering the Pens made Tyler Kennedy a priority over Jagr. Jagr had one chance to prove he was still an elite player and could still play a big role in the NHL - and he choose the place where was guaranteed to get that chance over the Penguins who would not guarantee that and also low balled him and did not make him feel like they wanted him which Jagr felt was a sign he would not get the same chances of playing time as with the Flyers.

Jagr did what was the best move for his career, and why would he choose a worse fit while also having to win over all the fans that had booed him for 10 years?

None of this is what "I am saying", its just facts, The Tyler Kennedy thing has for sure not been questioned by anyone at all. As Jagr said "no disrespect to Tyler Kennedy". But when he was told he had to wait until the Pens had signed Kennedy, Jagr knew he was not a priority for the Penguins which made it more likely he would not get the ice time he wanted.

Perhaps the Penguins took Jagr for granted and assumed he would come to play for peanuts and play on the 3rd or 4th line....or perhaps Shero was never keen on Jagr, which seems more likely!
---
Btw, in what way is Jagr a known liar? I must have missed that completely, so I am curious what thats all about!

I'm pretty confident the Pens called him out on his statements he would play anywhere needed, even the 3rd line and that he would play for less due to Mario.

It seems to me that you've been Jagr'ed. Never go full Jagr. Turtles forever....

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Honestly.. In 2011 maybe they should have given Jagr what he wanted which was RW 1, PP1.

It would have been interesting to see the chemistry with Crosby. Crosby has always been weirdly particular with who he plays with that I think either it would have worked very well or would have been extremely awkward.

Then again, if we had done that maybe Sully never gets hired and we don't win back to back cups 16 and 17. We should be happy that this didn't happen in 11 if it changed that course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad