Jagr or Orr?

chooch*

The more I see 68 and the longer he plays at that level, I 'm agreeing with those who say that outside of Mario, Jagr is the best player of the past 35 years (goalies not incl).

And to think they played on the same team for awhile.

My top 5 are Mario, Hasek, Orr, Jagr and Lafleur. Time to switch 3 and 4.

And yeah I'm talking about from those who I saw play - no Dennenys or Morenz or Bobbyrov or Furriersov or whatever..

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH
The more I see 68 and the longer he plays at that level, I 'm agreeing with those who say that outside of Mario, Jagr is the best player of the past 35 years (goalies not incl).

And yeah I'm talking about from those who I saw play - no Dennenys or Morenz or Bobbyrov or Furriersov or whatever..

Well, maybe a poll would do here? I vote Orr as always!

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Jagr does perhaps deserve a better All-Time ranking than he gets. Still he is not near the level of Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky.

But I guess Jagr never ran over your cat.

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
Jagr is so DOMINANT and can take over a game

Orr REVOLUTIONIZED the way the game was played by defencemen

I would probably take Jagr

Roger's Pancreas*

Jagr: A complete package with a porcelain ego.
Orr: Flawless.

Guess who I think is/was better.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Oh, please, let it be me this time:

Say, Chooch, what about Gretzky? You forgot Gretzky. What? You hate Gretzky? Why? Oh, you think he sucked. Why? Oh, because you say so.

How did I do?

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia

I'm a great fan of Jagr, but hard to put him over Bobby Orr, unless you factor in durability.

Also, it's hard to compare a skater and a goalie, although I would point out Jagr has won the award for best Czech hockey player 7 times to Hasek's 5.

I would say there hasn't ever been a better forward at even strength than Jagr. The last three (and only confirmed) seasons a player has led the NHL in even strength goals and assists in the same season it was Jagr. Lemieux only played during part of one of the five seasons Jagr won the Ross, and amazingly he finished second the years he set the NHL record for points/assists for a RW and the Ranger record for goals/points. Adjusting for league scoring and games missed due to NHL labor disputes, Jagr is already top five in adjusted career goals/points, and would probably end up second or third in each category, with a shot at being the leader in all-time adjusted goals (ironic for a player who has never led NHL in goals).

Best 5 non-goalies of past 40 years:

1. Lemieux
2. Orr
3. Gretzky
4. Jagr
5. Espo/Lafleur

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Well, Orr by all accounts is most likely the best player in history. Jagr is a good player, but it's debatle if he's the best of his generation. I would take a heatlhy Lidstrom, Hasek or Forsberg in front of him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
First, I can't believe this is even a poll. Second, how in the hell can someone choose Jagr with a straight face. I don't care how talented and dominant you think Jagr is, doesn't seem it come playoff time, Jagr is not in the same league as Orr.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I have been impressed by Jagr lately and his ability to be so stinkin' good this late in his career, but you gotta take Orr. I acknowledge that Jagr is dominant, but Orr was dominant offensively as a defensman! I beleive he is the only defensman to lead the league in scoring, and he did it twice! This guy's speed was so dominant, that he could afford to take offensive gambles and still get back on defense. Also, at least for me, that stint in Washington doesn't help Jagr's case. I am not aware of any attitude issues with Orr (if so, enlighten me).

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
I have been impressed by Jagr lately and his ability to be so stinkin' good this late in his career, but you gotta take Orr. I acknowledge that Jagr is dominant, but Orr was dominant offensively as a defensman! I beleive he is the only defensman to lead the league in scoring, and he did it twice! This guy's speed was so dominant, that he could afford to take offensive gambles and still get back on defense. Also, at least for me, that stint in Washington doesn't help Jagr's case. I am not aware of any attitude issues with Orr (if so, enlighten me).

Bobby Orr's character compares very favorably to Jean Beliveau.

Pfft

Aug 21, 2006
Jagr is great. But him never winning a cup without Lemieux is a black mark for sure. He's no Bobby Orr.

Lemieux was great. But him never winning a cup without Jagr is a black mark for sure. He's no Bobby Orr.

espo*

Number 4 is always number 4,except when it comes to all time best hockey players lists.................then he turns into number 1.

Jagr is no Orr.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I'm a great fan of Jagr, but hard to put him over Bobby Orr, unless you factor in durability.

Also, it's hard to compare a skater and a goalie, although I would point out Jagr has won the award for best Czech hockey player 7 times to Hasek's 5.

I would say there hasn't ever been a better forward at even strength than Jagr. The last three (and only confirmed) seasons a player has led the NHL in even strength goals and assists in the same season it was Jagr. Lemieux only played during part of one of the five seasons Jagr won the Ross, and amazingly he finished second the years he set the NHL record for points/assists for a RW and the Ranger record for goals/points. Adjusting for league scoring and games missed due to NHL labor disputes, Jagr is already top five in adjusted career goals/points, and would probably end up second or third in each category, with a shot at being the leader in all-time adjusted goals (ironic for a player who has never led NHL in goals).

Best 5 non-goalies of past 40 years:

1. Lemieux
2. Orr
3. Gretzky
4. Jagr
5. Espo/Lafleur
If you go back 40 years to 1966, you end up picking up some prime years for guys like Hull & Mikita plus Howe & Beliveau still had some good NHL years left which surely pushes Jagr out of your top 5. It doesn't make since to rate players for a set period of time such as 40 or 35 years. Either rate them all time or don't rate them at all. As far as Chooch's premise that Jagr is better than Orr--Ridiculous!!

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

In the '70s, Orr, in the '90s, Jagr.

By the way, I though a guy named Wayne Gretzky did pretty well too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad