Jagr or Crosby, Pens Career

Penguins Career

• Total voters

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
....I'd rather build a team with Crosby.

That doesn't mean the strength of Jagr and skill and sacrifice he did for this team is negated.

Reactions: BillPrep

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Individual hardware as the main criteria, edge Jagr still. Sid wins another Smythe or gets into the Selke conversation the next few years and wins one, it's Sid.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sid’s has a couple of pretty much certainties lost through injury though if that’s your main criteria

Well, yeah. If he was healthy during his prime, he'd have won 3 or 4 in a row and there'd be zero argument for Jagr.

But he wasn't, so that has to be factored in. That's the reason why I hope the media pumps his tires for the Selke. Guy deserves another regular season award. He's too good to only have two Art Ross trophies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Crosby and I'm expecting this to be somewhat one sided.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Penguins accomplished more as a team with Sid. But Jagr was a superior player in his prime.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Penguins accomplished more as a team with Sid. But Jagr was a superior player in his prime.

Sid in his prime paced and put up near Jagr’s best totals and played center.

Not to even go into Sid being one of the best playoff performers in NHL history. (Arguably the best since Mario and Wayne)

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby is a better hockey player than Jagr was, has had more team success and has given the Penguins franchise zero headaches for over a decade. Poll checks out.

Reactions: Son Goku

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Crosby. Playing his whole career for one team is great.

Jagr has played for how many teams ? he has no team loyalty.
Even if Nova Scotia got a expansion team 10 years from now & Crosby is still playing, he still will stay with the Pens.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Crosby, easily for me and I loved Jagr as a Penguin, but Crosby did everything you wanted from him as a cornerstone player, everything.

Reactions: Son Goku

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This is apparently not a popular opinion according to the poll but I'd go with Jagr. 5 art Ross trophies and his prime (imo) was even better than Sids. Jumbo Joe only narrowly beat Jagr in 05-6 or Jagr would have had 6 Art Ross trophies. Jagr was incredibly dominant in his prime. So was/is Sid, but I think Jagr was the better hockey player. Not by a lot, but he was. He was an absolute freak of nature in his prime.

That said, for me it's realllly close. I just think Jagr was a little bit better a player. You can knock him for not winning Cups without Mario I guess but most of the teams Jagr was on without Mario were not deep enough to win a cup. Sid has had better support overall in his career I think.

But like I said it's super close. And I might take Sid over Jagr first if I had to draft a team and choose between young versions of either just because they're close enough as players that dealing with Jagr's attitude issues and so on might not be worth the hassle when I could have a player just about the same as him but with way better leadership.

Loved watching both. I know a lot of people here have bad memories of how Jagr left us but I never stopped liking him as a player and I'm glad I got to enjoy his prime. Actually funny story here. When I was young in the early 90's my dad and I went to Pittsburgh to catch a game. Back then players would sometimes park in the parking lot at Mellon since I guess at that point there was no underground parking lot? Either way, one time we went and who pulls up but Jagr. He pulled up in a really nice car and with that beautiful mullet lol. Unfortunately, my dad didn't have a pen on him, so I wasn't able to get Jagr's autograph. I don't think I've quite let my dad live that one down. But it was super cool to meet Jagr and that type of thing would never happen now when players can get in and out of arenas without dealing as much with fans.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This is apparently not a popular opinion according to the poll but I'd go with Jagr. 5 art Ross trophies and his prime (imo) was even better than Sids. Jumbo Joe only narrowly beat Jagr in 05-6 or Jagr would have had 6 Art Ross trophies. Jagr was incredibly dominant in his prime. So was/is Sid, but I think Jagr was the better hockey player. Not by a lot, but he was. He was an absolute freak of nature in his prime.

That said, for me it's realllly close. I just think Jagr was a little bit better a player. You can knock him for not winning Cups without Mario I guess but most of the teams Jagr was on without Mario were not deep enough to win a cup. Sid has had better support overall in his career I think.

But like I said it's super close. And I might take Sid over Jagr first if I had to draft a team and choose between young versions of either just because they're close enough as players that dealing with Jagr's attitude issues and so on might not be worth the hassle when I could have a player just about the same as him but with way better leadership.

Loved watching both. I know a lot of people here have bad memories of how Jagr left us but I never stopped liking him as a player and I'm glad I got to enjoy his prime. Actually funny story here. When I was young in the early 90's my dad and I went to Pittsburgh to catch a game. Back then players would sometimes park in the parking lot at Mellon since I guess at that point there was no underground parking lot? Either way, one time we went and who pulls up but Jagr. He pulled up in a really nice car and with that beautiful mullet lol. Unfortunately, my dad didn't have a pen on him, so I wasn't able to get Jagr's autograph. I don't think I've quite let my dad live that one down. But it was super cool to meet Jagr and that type of thing would never happen now when players can get in and out of arenas without dealing as much with fans.

It’s not a crazy opinion but I can’t get on board. Sid was a few breaks away from winning 5 or 6 Art Rosses himself and played a more important position. I dunno, what exactly did Jagr do better than Sid? Dangle I guess. Sid was as good or better on the boards. I think he was the superior playmaker. His shot in his prime was comparable if not better. Better in the hard areas of the ice. Better defensively obviously.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I grew up in the Era of Lemieux and Jagr and he is a HUGE reason why I'm a Pens fan, but when it's all said and done, it's Crosby and it won't even be close
Fact that Jagr left doesn't go in his favor either...

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->