Jacques Martin

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
JM was a very good tactical coach and still is,...But likely couldnt be bothered to become a HC this late in his career ,more specifically here in the worst posting in the NHL

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
A challenge is a yong team like us with a management and ownership group that wants to be successful.

This is an organization in which management and ownership actively sabotage the team.

No reputable coach will come here if they have anything close to other options.

Sorry, I disagree. No way a coach doesn't accept an offer if he is given the latitude to coach his style.

madhatter316

May 10, 2013
You are allowed to be cynical but in reality there are only 32 head coaching jobs in the NHL period - if you are not one now (and want to be one ) and are asked to take one of these jobs you do it. No matter how poorly the team you are going to is run. Now if Jacques doesn't want to be a head coach anymore that is a different matter.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Need this guy back too

alexei-yashin-1994-54.jpg

Sadly, he'd be our third or fourth best forward right now.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
You are allowed to be cynical but in reality there are only 32 head coaching jobs in the NHL period - if you are not one now (and want to be one ) and are asked to take one of these jobs you do it. No matter how poorly the team you are going to is run. Now if Jacques doesn't want to be a head coach anymore that is a different matter.

This.

Unless there are monetary or family factors (not wanting to move), a guy like Martin isn't turning down another head coaching gig.

He's the exact type of veteran coach we'd get. With all due respect to him, one who isn't in demand for a HC gig else where.

There's nothing to lose for him. He's a known quantity and will always have a job as an assistant coach somewhere.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
That is such a bad attitude. A good coach would like to get in on some of these good prospects. Good coaches want a challenge, not a walk in the park.

Good coaches also want a commitment from ownership to ice the best roster possible.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Sorry, I disagree. No way a coach doesn't accept an offer if he is given the latitude to coach his style.
You think if someone like Quennville was approached by the Sens with their shitty contract offer and bottom-feeding roster, he would just take the job out of desperation.

Many of these coaches know there will be spots open for them in the future. I don't think they'll risk their reputation so they can be the lowest-paid coach in the league.

Reactions: Daffy

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That is such a bad attitude. A good coach would like to get in on some of these good prospects. Good coaches want a challenge, not a walk in the park.

They also want to be supported by ownership and management.

We all remember Paulrus' "maybe we don't have the right players".

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This.

Unless there are monetary or family factors (not wanting to move), a guy like Martin isn't turning down another head coaching gig.

He's the exact type of veteran coach we'd get. With all due respect to him, one who isn't in demand for a HC gig else where.

There's nothing to lose for him. He's a known quantity and will always have a job as an assistant coach somewhere.
Iam only going on what I think I heard about JM ,I remember hearing something about him being very happy and content where he was ,and that at his age he no longer wanted a HC job and wasnt taking interviews

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
if we're gonna start recycling the dinos then hell.....bring in Iron Mike (the circa 1980's version of him) . He'll whip'em in shape

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I know young guys like Keefe will be suggested, but the problem with rookie coaches is that they don't have the experience or respect yet to stand up to Dorion and Melnyk.

Martin does.
And we need that badly.
And that's one of the reasons he will not be hired.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Wanted Martin here before Boucher, Martin teaches players how to support each other rather than just a system.

However...hes assistant coach for a cup contender and a team with crosby,malkin,letang...he won't leave easily.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Meh, fire Dorion first and bring an ounce of credibility to the management group.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
JM was a very good tactical coach and still is,...But likely couldnt be bothered to become a HC this late in his career ,more specifically here in the worst posting in the NHL
JM was a pretty stubborn SOB too in his time here & wouldn't change his systems or style even though the stinking Leafs kept eating his lunch.

My guess is that at the end of the season they most likely will relinquish the rest of the coaching staff & hire a new cheap coach. Depending on how well Mann does in these playoffs he might have the inside track, although there are probably numerous good NHL assistants, NCAA or AHL or Junior coaches who would take this gig as long as they don't ask for too much money or term.

Local Man

Oct 31, 2017
I think JM would rather work the cash at Le Maison D'Or than come back to coach in Ottawa.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Our ass of an owner can not afford him just yet. Maybe if he gets a partner with cash it could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->