Jacques Martin

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Should be the next head coach of the Senators.

I get that he was awful at adapting his gameplan in the playoffs, and was thoroughly out-coached by Pat Burns, but right now, winning in the playoffs is not on the radar for this franchise.

We need to develop young players and build a program that puts us in contention to get a wildcard spot, and Jacques is that guy.

When he came in for his first full season in 96/97, Yashin was 22, Alfredsson was 23, Redden was 19, Bonk was 20. He turned those players into what they became. Then came Hossa, Havlat, Chara, etc.

Now we have Tkachuk, Chabot, Brannstrom, etc. The parallels are there.

I know young guys like Keefe will be suggested, but the problem with rookie coaches is that they don't have the experience or respect yet to stand up to Dorion and Melnyk.

Martin does. And we need that badly.

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
I've been on board with Count Jacqula returing for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Trent Mann graduates, but Jacques Martin would satisfy me.

EDIT: May even be a healthy relationship to have Martin as H/C and Mann as one of his assistants as a progression move for Mann. Just hypothetical....

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I've been on board with Count Jacqula returing for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Trent Mann graduates, but Jacques Martin would satisfy me.

EDIT: May even be a healthy relationship to have Martin as H/C and Mann as one of his assistants as a progression move for Mann. Just hypothetical....

Turning an assistant into a head coach almost never works.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Jacques is probably a good fit which means it won't happen haha

R2010

May 23, 2011
Hiring Jacques would be a sad and desperate attempt to escape reality and step back into the Golden Age of the Franchise.

Let's do it.

Sure or we could acknowledge that hiring a guy who helped build the team up from the ashes previously could be helpful. Remember he was let go because of playoff success issues and in the time since he has been an important part of two stanley cup winning coaching staffs

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
upload_2019-3-1_9-27-19.png

Reactions: scallionjj11

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That is such a bad attitude. A good coach would like to get in on some of these good prospects. Good coaches want a challenge, not a walk in the park.
That's not how it works at all, and it's not a bad attitude at all, that makes no sense.

Good coaches go where they get paid the most, which they earned through years of service, and where the situation is the best for them. The Sens pay the least, and are a trainwreck from management and ownership.

Ottawa is bottom of the barrel for both of those.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
That is such a bad attitude. A good coach would like to get in on some of these good prospects. Good coaches want a challenge, not a walk in the park.
A challenge is a young team like us with a management and ownership group that wants to be successful.

This is an organization in which management and ownership actively sabotage the team.

No reputable coach will come here if they have anything close to other options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->