Value of: Jacob Trouba (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
LOL @ those in this thread suggesting that Tiny Tony could give Reaves a run for his money in a fight. :laugh: Tiny Tony's next 4 generations would be born with massive bruises on their face if he tried Reaves.

Guess you never saw PJ Stock vs Stephen Peat, Ray Emery vs Andrew Peters or Tie Domi vs Bob Probert.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I still cannot believe he legitimately argued with the rest of HFNYR and HF stating that Nieves was a potential 1C and should have been given a shot there, then told everyone else that they were crazy and wrong and wasn’t trolling anyone.

“Synergy with Kreider.”

Yikes.
His magic eyes where he can see things no one else can.... but the NHL and entire hockey world outside free forums want nothing to do with him. Got it

Reactions: One Winged Angel

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
His magic eyes where he can see things no one else can.... but the NHL and entire hockey world outside free forums want nothing to do with him. Got it
Yea that was bull goose looney. If it were up to bern the rangers would have no one over the age of 22, 7 or 8 first rd picks, and a roster that wouldn’t win 10 games. And he’ll tell you he is right and your wrong no matter what and argue the point with you even though logic and common sense have left the building a long time ago. He’s not a bad guy, but very misguided

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Other than that...

any deal I said to this effect needs to be updated, b'c it contained 2020 picks which no longer applies. That said,

The rationale for DET to consider this is not to take on JT and his $.
The fully adequate incentive is to express acquire assets needed to have a legit team immediately. This includes but is not limited to
Chytil = 2C
Geo = starting G [even if you insist in saying 1a-1b, he'll start in hockeytown]
upgrade of picks\
speedy Howden for 3C

that w/Trouba is enough to justify surrender of Seider, who projects as Hedman lite, but vs that benchmark we don't know if he will be equally good, not as, or a possibly even better.

Also Seider has not been promoted yet. [CF has him as 'non-roster']
Is he ready for start of upcoming NHL season, whenever that is?
If not, for whatev reason, NY can handle that esp on right side.
That's not a big deal as he is close to, if not actually ready, but NY help would be of immediate use to DET.

Detroit isn’t trading seider. The fascination of you acquiring him is slightly disturbing.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Trouba has a cap hit I do not love, (Ranger fan who never quite liked the trade or signing) yet finding a RD as young as he is, who has the traits he has (even if not ideal) with a long term deal that buys up that many UFA years is not very easy.

Including even LD, Chabot, Ekblad, Morrissey, (there are likely a couple others who could be debated, and in my opinion some are better players) yet beyond those handful of players who are signed throughout their prime (without the likely decline years attached) to a comparable or lower lower cap hit?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Trouba has a cap hit I do not love, (Ranger fan who never quite liked the trade or signing) yet finding a RD as young as he is, who has the traits he has (even if not ideal) with a long term deal that buys up that many UFA years is not very easy.

Including even LD, Chabot, Ekblad, Morrissey, (there are likely a couple others who could be debated, and in my opinion some are better players) yet beyond those handful of players who are signed throughout their prime (without the likely decline years attached) to a comparable or lower lower cap hit?
The Canucks just gave up a third in 2022 for Schmidt, who has a cap hit of 5.9 million. Trouba’s cap hit is 8 million. Is he worth, considering his contract, more than Schmidt?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Canucks just gave up a third in 2022 for Schmidt, who has a cap hit of 5.9 million. Trouba’s cap hit is 8 million. Is he worth, considering his contract, more than Schmidt?
Schmidt is 29 and signed for 5 more years, Trouba 26 and signed for 6 more years. One has a contract which ends when he'd 34 versus the other at 32.

Without knowing what both players and teams do from here on out on their contracts, neither of can say which turns out to be a better contract. Again while I don't love the Trouba contract finding a player who is signed through what is most likely their prime years, without the add on years, is not what is being compared so far in this thread and even if it were there is only a small amount of players who are comparable.

If one wants to debate signing a defender on a shorter term UFA deal(s), with lesser cap hits is the way to go, I could see that as being a decent point, yet arguing a bunch of teams have a D signed through what should be their prime, and only what should be their prime, results with only a handful of comparable players.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Schmidt is 29 and signed for 5 more years, Trouba 26 and signed for 6 more years. One has a contract which ends when he'd 34 versus the other at 32.

Without knowing what both players and teams do from here on out on their contracts, neither of can say which turns out to be a better contract. Again while I don't love the Trouba contract finding a player who is signed through what is most likely their prime years, without the add on years, is not what is being compared so far in this thread and even if it were there is only a small amount of players who are comparable.

If one wants to debate signing a defender on a shorter term UFA deal(s), with lesser cap hits is the way to go, I could see that as being a decent point, yet arguing a bunch of teams have a D signed through what should be their prime, and only what should be their prime, results with only a handful of comparable players.
So Schmidt is 2 and a half years older, payed 2.1 million less, and they play the same right side D. Plus he was the top minute D on a final four team, and a point producer too. And he cost a 2022 third round pick. I like Trouba too, because he plays a rough kind of game, but don’t think he’d be worth a lot more (considering his contract and this crazy flat cap market) than Schmidt. In a regular year Trouba would be worth a good return, but this is not a regular year. Considering the return would likely be bad, unless the Rangers have to trade Trouba, they should just keep him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
So Schmidt is 2 and a half years older, payed 2.1 million less, and they play the same right side D. Plus he was the top minute D on a final four team, and a point producer too. And he cost a 2022 third round pick. I like Trouba too, because he plays a rough kind of game, but don’t think he’d be worth a lot more (considering his contract and this crazy flat cap market) than Schmidt. In a regular year Trouba would be worth a good return, but this is not a regular year. Considering the return would likely be bad, unless the Rangers have to trade Trouba, they should just keep him.

You seem to be trying to compare a player who is older and was traded while on his contract under the current situation to one who was younger and traded before 2020 happened.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Detroit isn’t trading seider. The fascination of you acquiring him is slightly disturbing.

He does this with certain young players. He’s been doing it for a while with Seider and Broberg.

He also said Boo Nieves should be the Rangers 1C and that he would have this magical chemistry with Chris Kreider.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Trouba talk is silliness. Is he overpaid by 1-1,5 mil ...yes....but he is exactly what we need and when we move forward in the playoffs his play will factor greatly in any success we have! LGR
Nah he’s getting paid to be a Norris Trophy contender but he’s a borderline 2nd Pair Dman. I saw how he cost the Jets the playoffs in 2019 and he didn’t show up against the Canes. He needs to step it up big time to justify his cost.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
I get what you’re saying but Nate Schmidt isn’t a good comparison. And, two or three years in age sounds like not a lot but it’s actually quite important.

The 6 years remaining for Trouba who is 26 buys up his prime years. Pushing the contract to 35 is much different. Whether he plays to his ability over the next years is a different story, however.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Nah he’s getting paid to be a Norris Trophy contender but he’s a borderline 2nd Pair Dman. I saw how he cost the Jets the playoffs in 2019 and he didn’t show up against the Canes. He needs to step it up big time to justify his cost.

1) Practically the whole team basically didn't show up against the Canes

2) He's far better than just a "borderline 2nd pair d-man"

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
1) Practically the whole team basically didn't show up against the Canes

2) He's far better than just a "borderline 2nd pair d-man"
Hopefully he is a contender for Norris Trophy like he was paid to be. Good Dman can carry a guy like Mac did so the people saying Skjei or Smith I don’t care. His wife forced the trade and Rangers overpaid $ and trade capital.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Hopefully he is a contender for Norris Trophy like he was paid to be. Good Dman can carry a guy like Mac did so the people saying Skjei or Smith I don’t care. His wife forced the trade and Rangers overpaid $ and trade capital.

1) Rangers did not over trade capital, lol. Pionk and a 1st rounder is zilch for a Trouba type d-man

2) If he is overpaid, it's not by very much. Like 1-1.5 mil. Big whoop.

3) Barely anyone said we got him to be a perennial Norris type d-man.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Let's not act like the Canucks paid anywhere near market value for Schmidt. Vegas had 15 hours to get cap compliant or the AP deal was going to be voided. Canucks got a steal of a deal, but using that as the benchmark for all D doesn't make sense.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad