Value of: Jacob Trouba (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Posters thinking this idea is simply NYR Buyer's Remorse likely just havent watched NYR closely, to see how we got here.
In the short season after Trouba joined NYR, DeAngelo finally delivered a season consistently performing to his talent and gumption, Adam Fox arrived fully ready for NHL from college hockey, and NYR'S top RHD prospect Nils Lundkvist had one of the best seasons of any D man outside the NHL.
So many think Trouba leaving won't leave too huge a hole, and would allow using that Cap hit elsewhere on roster. All possibly true.
But I also believe that Trouba playing his many and tough minutes helped place ADA and Fox in position to maximize their impact and production.
And i expect Trouba to more consistently effective following his 1st season in NYC, many athletes go though a bit of challenging transition coming into such a new environment (obvi not always, thank you Bread)
It will be a gamble if NYR move Trouba

Yup. Trouba was the matchup guy. He took all the tough minutes all year, with whatever turnstile was on he left side (mostly Skjei). Theres a reason the analytics look bad, when you're playing against the other team's top talent on a night by night basis you're gonna get shelled, especially with how young we were up front.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'd love to get him back on the Jets, not for his play (although that would be useful too) but just to see the look on his face when he realises he's coming back to Winnipeg. Alas, he has an NMC.

It doesn't kick in until Tuesday or Friday. Jets can trade Laine for Trouba. Throw in a D from the Jets and an F from the Rangers to balance it out.

Reactions: jetsforever

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
This. Guy is a legitimate 1B d-man. He got better as the season went on. In the play ins he was the best D we had. He is the only big minute eating D rangers have currently. But because of Fox deangelo and nils in the system and to some extent skinner NYR fans think it would be ok to deal him. He plays against the best in the world every night and does a good job insulating the youth. Fox and Deangelo had such great seasons because of trouba taking those match ups. Plus he has a mean streak which we need more of not less. He goes nowhere barring an ugly divorce. The key is finding a mobile good decision making partner to pair him with ( like josh Morrissey) to maximize his talents. Hopefully Robertson or K’Andre Miller can be that guy

Well I'm glad you like your 1B D-man. I think the only problem is the cap is not $120 million.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Trouba rejects. He just signed there and im sure hes excited to see how the rangers will get better in the coming years.

It doesn’t matter what he wants.

I’m not to confident that the guy who picked the Rangers as his only destination then immediately signed full term with a full no move is going to be waiving it
Wasn't Trouba only willing to go to NYR or the Red Wings. He got a huge money contract with a full NMC. He's not getting traded.

One person repeats something untrue, and then a bunch start parroting it. How about you guys check before saying something like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Basically refuses to play in a Canadian market which seems to be the teams most in need of what he provides. I guess the fact that his 8M signing bonus this year was already paid is pretty nice.
Actually he wanted to play in New York only because his girlfriend lives there. That's also why he got a no trade clause. So he's not being moved unless his personal situation changes. You'd think the Rangers should've gotten a discount given those circumstances, but I guess the Rangers feel they have to keep up their tradition of overpaying.

Reactions: snowkiddin

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Why would we want Laine?

It's just a joke so we Jet fans can punish Trouba. Yes, you do not need Laine.

In the modern NHL, teams will only have room for a half dozen high paid players. The rest of the 23 man roster will be paid under $2 million.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
One person repeats something untrue, and then a bunch start parroting it. How about you guys check before saying something like this?

He has a no movement clause for 3 years starting on Friday and then he has to submit lists in 24-25 and 24-26.

Do you honestly think it's likely he's going to be traded in the next 4 days?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has a no movement clause for 3 years starting on Friday and then he has to submit lists in 24-25 and 24-26.

Do you honestly think it's likely he's going to be traded in the next 4 days?

I don’t think so, but I think the OP knows about when the NMC kicks in and the idea is for a trade before then. The team will likely make a defensive move before Friday. I doubt it’s Trouba, but it could be.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Actually he wanted to play in New York only because his girlfriend lives there. That's also why he got a no trade clause. So he's not being moved unless his personal situation changes. You'd think the Rangers should've gotten a discount given those circumstances, but I guess the Rangers feel they have to keep up their tradition of overpaying.
No she doesn't, His fiancee lives in Fort Lauderdale she has another year of schooling there. And then she'll move up to New York City for her furthering education.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It’s much harder to replace the skill of DeAngelo & Fox than it would be to find a shutdown Dman, and that can be found for a LOT less than 8 mill. Lindgren is a tough cookie, Miller is a monster, DeAngelo can throw hands with the best of them. I don’t think we’re too soft, and if we traded Trouba for a LD I’d be targeting a big, defensive-minded guy

Wince. DeAngelo knocked out Okposo (not really a fighter) who lurched at him and left himself wide open. DeAngelo fights well for a player his size. He fights like twice a year though. It's not an impactful thing and he's not really a physical player. He's not strong and he doesn't hit much or very effectively. Facing off with one of the better fighters in the league--Reaves, Chara, Wilson, Oleksiak, Johnston he would absolutely get his ass handed to him. He's a good fighter for a player his size but he's small. He's not a tough player though.

Rangers are not trading Trouba.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Send in your offers boys
Looking at Centers or LD, prospects, picks
Center either a playmaker or two way guy
D preferably a defensive dman or two way guy
26 or younger
Not moveable except possibly as I advise below.

By no means is Trouba a negative impact on the ice, I think he is a fine player and would have loved to get him on the Wings, but that contract is basically a boat anchor.

I would be interested to know what kind of offers have been floated towards NYR management.

You'd have to think if the Rangers were to get good (read: full) value for him, they are taking on an unwanted contract or two in the process.
He is overpaid by 1.5ish m in covid right now, but has a lot of intangibles visible. Plays strong, clears the crease. No reason to think he doesn't play well wherever he goes if chemistry w/partner, system. Other than Lindgren who usually played w/Fox, Ranger LDs sucked ass. Also we are thrilled Lindy Ruff has moved on from D coach.

Eating salary helps but is not required, but options limited, will explain below. Possible relocation to DET does not nec require taking back salary, tho there are multiple possibilities.

Would something like Trouba + Buch for OEL make sense for both teams? This is under the impression that Arizona can't move OEL without taking back some sort of expensive contract
no, no a gazillion times no.
NY is only open to moving Trouba to get ahead of the curve not now, but in 3 yrs, when elcs->rfas and Zib gets raise.

Read my lips, no 30ish guy huge $ for signif term
Would rather have mid 20s Trouba now than OEL about to trend down wrong side of 30.

Huge hell no,

Wasn't Trouba only willing to go to NYR or the Red Wings. He got a huge money contract with a full NMC. He's not getting traded.

It doesn’t kick in until next season

Thought this was effective July 1, but w/late start may well be official end of season. Thought that was after Cup winner determined, but could see it a few days later.

However it is possible he may still waive for reasons I will explain in subsequent post.

No she doesn't, His fiancee lives in Fort Lauderdale she has another year of schooling there. And then she'll move up to New York City for her furthering education.
Thanks, I keep losing track of this detail.

This is a very signif part of the equation, but there are others.

More to follow shortly my next post.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Well I'm glad you like your 1B D-man. I think the only problem is the cap is not $120 million.
He is paid adequately for what he brings. If he is overpaid it’s by 1 million at most. And the term only takes him to 32 years old. This is not a bad contract for a guy that’s gonna give you 20 min a night against the best in the world with a mean streak. There are far worse contracts out there. Hell there are worse contracts on the team then jakes

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NY can't trade Trouba unless certain obstacles are defeated.

1. He came here, forced his way here, and as part of the when acquiring we took on negotiations post trade. That was our mistake. We should have said NOBODY has NMC, period. Do sign and trade after $, term AND no NMC established. That OR pay nothing for him and a conditional pick which only kicks in if we get such a deal w/those terms.

That said, we can't be jerks here, and neither can he.
Both parties' positions have to be respected.

2. Accordingly, we can't dump him just anywhere. Have to send him where he is a happy camper. If not, we look bad with players, and then de-incentivizes the next Panarin from coming here.

3. However, shoe on the other foot, the restriction is not for the full 7 yrs, now 6. Per capfriendly: "CLAUSE DETAILS: 2024-25: Player submits a 15 team no trade list; 2025-26: Player submits a 12 team no trade list"

4. What this means is right now, days notwithstanding, JT has full control for a couple of years. Thereafter, he has partial control for half-ish relocation for balance of his deal.

5. That means NY can do what goes around comes around. We have to honor our commitment, but then we can flip him wherever best suits us, regardless of what he wants/finds comfortable.

6. Acquiring JT was not a mistake. Would do so again, but differently, my way, like I noted above. Issue is not so much player production; player demonstrated high quality performance in WPG and no reason to think w/correct other factors he can duplicate or grow as productive asset.

7. Long story short. Best solution is DET actually IS a fit at the right price. He goes home. They have lots of terrif medical facilities in that neck of the woods. World famous Mayo Clinic is one such example, there are other standards of excellence. Dolan calls a few favors and sees what can be done about having the gf start residency or whatever it is close to DET. That plus he is comfy going home. Happy camper.

8. He has to understand, we value him, want him, but no ? when Zib gets paid and $ needed for multiple others, he'll HAVE TO GO. So he goes now, he controls where he winds up.

9. That leaves us with what works w/Wings....

see next post

Reactions: EdJovanovski

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That’s what I meant. I was saying it hasn’t kicked in yet. The new league season starts on Friday.

Well he's our match up defenseman--all our other RD's right now are smallish puck movers. Someone's got to play against Ovechkin, the Bergeron line and Crosby. He's not getting moved.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Well he's our match up defenseman--all our other RD's right now are smallish puck movers. Someone's got to play against Ovechkin, the Bergeron line and Crosby. He's not getting moved.
I’m sure we can find that type of dman for under 8 million per season long term. And isn’t Trouba supposed to be good in that role? He sure wasn’t this season. He got absolutely caved in by every metric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad