Value of: Jacob Trouba (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
1) Rangers did not over trade capital, lol. Pionk and a 1st rounder is zilch for a Trouba type d-man

2) If he is overpaid, it's not by very much. Like 1-1.5 mil. Big whoop.

3) Barely anyone said we got him to be a perennial Norris type d-man.
1) trading Pionk and a first for a one year control was an overpayment. He was going to be a UFA this offseason so he should give his agent a raise.

2) You think 2nd pair Dman are worth 7 million per? Pionk got half that and outplayed Trouba.....

3) It doesn’t matter if the fans didn’t think that but Jeff Gorton clearly did. He is making more than Victor Hedman and making exact same amount as John Carlson. He is making slightly less than AP so I think as a UFA he would’ve made 6 million per. Would you say he is a top 10Dman in the league because Gorton believes so since the overpayment in trade/salary. Mac never had an issue carrying Girardi but somehow the excuses for Trouba playing with Skjei and Smith was comical. Let’s see if K’Andre gets that spot but the genius signed JJ. He traded a 2nd to sign Jack Johnson........ next excuse for why Trouba is struggling this year

Reactions: rubikscube

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
1) trading Pionk and a first for a one year control was an overpayment. He was going to be a UFA this offseason so he should give his agent a raise.

2) You think 2nd pair Dman are worth 7 million per? Pionk got half that and outplayed Trouba.....

3) It doesn’t matter if the fans didn’t think that but Jeff Gorton clearly did. He is making more than Victor Hedman and making exact same amount as John Carlson. He is making slightly less than AP so I think as a UFA he would’ve made 6 million per. Would you say he is a top 10Dman in the league because Gorton believes so since the overpayment in trade/salary. Mac never had an issue carrying Girardi but somehow the excuses for Trouba playing with Skjei and Smith was comical. Let’s see if K’Andre gets that spot but the genius signed JJ. He traded a 2nd to sign Jack Johnson........ next excuse for why Trouba is struggling this year

I didn't like contract for Trouba. Cap hit for these players were increasing year after year. Had it not been for Covid, there would be some more D-men joining that 7million plus area. Vegas would have had to offer up more more than what they did to land a top player like that. Also, Hedman signed in 2016..

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Send in your offers boys
Looking at Centers or LD, prospects, picks
Center either a playmaker or two way guy
D preferably a defensive dman or two way guy
26 or younger
Doesn't Trouba have a full NMC?

I had thought Trouba pretty much engineered his trade to the Rangers because the Big Apple is where he wants to be.

If I have that straight, I don't see much point in anybody sending in offers for a player with no-movement protection and little or no desire to play elsewhere.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I bet you wish the Jets had a guy like Trouba.
I bet the Jets are just as happy to be rid of Trouba and his agent.

As a Leafs fan, I would not want the Toronto Maple Leafs to touch this player with a 10-foot pole. He doesn't want to play just anywhere, and especially not in Canada.

We wouldn't need that kind of headache, and probably neither do the Jets.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I didn't like contract for Trouba. Cap hit for these players were increasing year after year. Had it not been for Covid, there would be some more D-men joining that 7million plus area. Vegas would have had to offer up more more than what they did to land a top player like that. Also, Hedman signed in 2016..

Yeah so 3 years prior to when Trouba signed his deal. Hedman was a TOP TEN DMAN in the league TOP TEN DMAN. Trouba has been a 2nd Pair Dman his whole career and proved last season why that was.

Reactions: Conbon

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yeah so 3 years prior to when Trouba signed his deal. Hedman was a TOP TEN DMAN in the league TOP TEN DMAN. Trouba has been a 2nd Pair Dman his whole career and proved last season why that was.
That doesn't matter. Maybe he was overpaid, but using Hedman as an example when the contract was signed 3 years prior is a bad way to justify what Trouba got, or should have gotten.

Reactions: Rangerfan4life90

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

1) Pionk and a 1st rounder was a steal for a Trouba caliber d-man. Using your logic, why didn't the Rangers just wait until Adam Fox was a free agent the following year instead of trading 2 2nd rounders? Because what they gave up was a steal for him and because they wanted him acclimated to the Rangers and system as soon as possible. Same concept here.

2) Yes, with salaries going up (pre-covid anyway), a good 2nd pair d-man can cost around that much. And Pionk didn't outplay Trouba, lol.

3) At his best, Girardi was still better than Skjei and Smith. And JJ won't block anyone. If K'Andre beats him, then he's gonna play. That simple.

4) Trouba won't be a top 10 d-man in terms of salary for long.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
What were the chances the Rangers would have been able to trade for and sign Hedman instead of Trouba? Would a late 1st and Pionk get that deal done even if it were possible?

I don't even like the Trouba contract, I've said as much on the Rangers board many times during the whole Trouba to the Rangers to now timeline. Yet bringing up players the Rangers had no way of obtaining does not make for a good comparison.

The Rangers choice was not Trouba or someone comparable to him, it was Trouba or no one else (or someone else not comparable to him). I would have liked to see the Rangers explore the 2nd and 3rd options a little more but that does not change what the options were at the time.

Last edited:

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
That doesn't matter. Maybe he was overpaid, but using Hedman as an example when the contract was signed 3 years prior is a bad way to justify what Trouba got, or should have gotten.
How about Tyler Myers who got 6 million per. Look at the top cap hits for Dman and tell me why he is tied for 7 on that list? Everyone else in that range except OEL look like Norris trophy candidates or had the resume. Trouba was a 2nd pair Dman who pumped up his stats by feeding Laine passes. Notice his PP time dropped with Rangers and his stats return to what he is a solid 2nd pair Dman.

I hope Gorton and Trouba prove me wrong but the fact people were saying he had Skjei and Smith as partners doesn’t do much for me considering Mac had G as a partner and he did fine.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
1) Pionk and a 1st rounder was a steal for a Trouba caliber d-man. Using your logic, why didn't the Rangers just wait until Adam Fox was a free agent the following year instead of trading 2 2nd rounders? Because what they gave up was a steal for him and because they wanted him acclimated to the Rangers and system as soon as possible. Same concept here.

2) Yes, with salaries going up (pre-covid anyway), a good 2nd pair d-man can cost around that much. And Pionk didn't outplay Trouba, lol.

3) At his best, Girardi was still better than Skjei and Smith. And JJ won't block anyone. If K'Andre beats him, then he's gonna play. That simple.

4) Trouba won't be a top 10 d-man in terms of salary for long.

Girardi was better than Skjei and Smith. So whoever gave those two those contracts should be fired and have no idea what they are doing

Fox in the system was cute but why did he bring Shatty and McQuaid into the system? Seems Tony D is not liked by Gorton for some reason.

Let me know when Trouba drops into 40-70 range. I’ll be generous considering guys like Hughes and Makar are on ELC and clearly top pair Dman guys.

I hope Trouba steps up but if you think the cost of Trouba was a steal trade wise I assume you think we should get 3 firsts for Tony D right

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I agree. Gorton traded a better defenseman (Pionk) and defenseman who projects to be better (Heinola) for Trouba when Trouba refused to go anywhere but NYC. It’s incredible that Gorton had to give up anything at all. He should’ve said “Here, you can have a 7th round pick and if you don’t like it, we’ll just sign Trouba as a FA.”

It’s interesting, everyone (myself included) laughed at that return for Trouba but it turns out it was a significant overpay, especially given the circumstances.

Reactions: Fairview

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Ok, I know perfectly well I'm going to get crucified for this, but as an Avs fan, I'd try to work out something aroung Girard for Trouba. IMO, there's too much imbalance towards to puck-moving type and not enough defensive D, especially with Zadorov gone. A D like Trouba could really help insulate the young D - Makar, Toews, Byram, Timmins. Cap-wise, Girard and Compher for Trouba is close to equal. And of course Rangers need LHD and can spare RHD. The things Girard brings to the table are things we have plenty of in other players as well(or will soon enough when Byram makes it). Value wise who cares, nobody's gonna like this one anyway.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
I bet the Jets are just as happy to be rid of Trouba and his agent.

As a Leafs fan, I would not want the Toronto Maple Leafs to touch this player with a 10-foot pole. He doesn't want to play just anywhere, and especially not in Canada.

We wouldn't need that kind of headache, and probably neither do the Jets.

No team wants Trouba. He's not worthless, but he's definitely not worth $8m for next 6 years. It's a bad contract and there's no getting around that, especially with the NMC for next 4 seasons followed by a MNTC.

He's a decent-good mid-pair defenseman so he is serviceable, just badly overpaid. Not end of the world though. He has upside and is only 26.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Ok, I know perfectly well I'm going to get crucified for this, but as an Avs fan, I'd try to work out something aroung Girard for Trouba. IMO, there's too much imbalance towards to puck-moving type and not enough defensive D, especially with Zadorov gone. A D like Trouba could really help insulate the young D - Makar, Toews, Byram, Timmins. Cap-wise, Girard and Compher for Trouba is close to equal. And of course Rangers need LHD and can spare RHD. The things Girard brings to the table are things we have plenty of in other players as well(or will soon enough when Byram makes it). Value wise who cares, nobody's gonna like this one anyway.
Trouba spent years trying to get to NY. Do you really think he will wave to leave? C’mon man!

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
No team wants Trouba. He's not worthless, but he's definitely not worth $8m for next 6 years. It's a bad contract and there's no getting around that, especially with the NMC for next 4 seasons followed by a MNTC.

He's a decent-good mid-pair defenseman so he is serviceable, just badly overpaid. Not end of the world though. He has upside and is only 26.
Love him or hate him you have to give his agent, Overcharge, credit for milking his victims.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
What were the chances the Rangers would have been able to trade for and sign Hedman instead of Trouba? Would a late 1st and Pionk get that deal done even if it were possible?

I don't even like the Trouba contract, I've said as much on the Rangers board many times during the whole Trouba to the Rangers to now timeline. Yet bringing up players the Rangers had no way of obtaining does not make for a good comparison.

The Rangers choice was not Trouba or someone comparable to him, it was Trouba or no one else (or someone else not comparable to him). I would have liked to see the Rangers explore the 2nd and 3rd options a little more but that does not change what the options were at the time.

VICTOR Hedman? Are you high?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

If you're trading Sam Girard, you can get a better defensive D than Trouba, or one that costs 3/4 or 1/2 as much as Trouba. It would make sense if the Avs were sending an overpaid player back to the Rangers, but the Avs don't have anyone overpaid by that much over a six year span. There's no way to make it sensible for Colorado.

I buy your premise, I do think the Avs mix might be a little off for the playoffs, but you can do better than that.

Reactions: hmc1987

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
How about Tyler Myers who got 6 million per. Look at the top cap hits for Dman and tell me why he is tied for 7 on that list? Everyone else in that range except OEL look like Norris trophy candidates or had the resume. Trouba was a 2nd pair Dman who pumped up his stats by feeding Laine passes. Notice his PP time dropped with Rangers and his stats return to what he is a solid 2nd pair Dman.

I hope Gorton and Trouba prove me wrong but the fact people were saying he had Skjei and Smith as partners doesn’t do much for me considering Mac had G as a partner and he did fine.
You can’t go by PP stats when he’s not on 1st PP in Ny and was on Winnipeg. DeAngelo and now we know Fox, are more suited to run the point with their vision and passing. That’s not a sleight at trouba he still has a better shot then both and can make good outlet passes but he is not as offensive as fox or tony because that’s not his major role here as it was for the jets. Trouba was acquired to be a minute eating RD who is mobile and can add offense from time to time. He has done that. In the beginning of the year he was trying to do too much. He was even hard on himself saying he needs to be better. As the season went on, he did. In the play ins he was our best D. I believe he is going to have a much better 2nd season with the rangers now that he is acclimated to the new team and players as well as settling in a new area to live. Saying pionk is better or similar to trouba is a terrible comparison. Neal pionk scares no one. Physically trouba and pionk are not in the same stratosphere. Trouba’s main job was to play against other teams top players, keep the crease clear, and move the puck. His size and ability to use his body keeps opposing players honest. Pionk doesn’t have that in his game at all. That’s what the rangers traded for. Pionk was a redundant player in the rangers system with DeAngelo here and the acquisition of fox. He is the worst of the three. The rangers want a big mobile defense. That’s what they have been drafting since the mcilrath disaster. Miller, Lundqvist, Schneider even skeji are all big mobile defensemen. Only Schneider has the nasty edge trouba has. He’s not a mid pair D-man. He is a good 1st pair defensemen that is in search of a good partner. He was very good when he played with lindgren for a short time and very good paired with smith which. Get him a solid partner and I bet everyone will change their tune on trouba. I’m hoping K’Andre can be that guy. Maybe Robertson who knows maybe DeAngelo or Lundqvist. What trouba provides is what the rangers needed. The trade was made at the time it was for various reasons stated in posts above. As far as jets fans trashing him, I remember posting Skeji and Miller for trouba trade years ago and I was laughed at. This was after skeji good rookie year. Jets fans loved him, things went sour after the contract dispute, but if trouba didn’t want out you can bet your bottom dollar Chevy would have signed him to a similar deal. Let’s give the guy 1 more year and a stable solid partner before all the Monday morning arm chair GM’s start bashing the contract and the trade. The deal ends when he’s 31 for god sakes not 37. He’s still growing as a player himself

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You can’t go by PP stats when he’s not on 1st PP in Ny and was on Winnipeg. DeAngelo and now we know Fox, are more suited to run the point with their vision and passing. That’s not a sleight at trouba he still has a better shot then both and can make good outlet passes but he is not as offensive as fox or tony because that’s not his major role here as it was for the jets. Trouba was acquired to be a minute eating RD who is mobile and can add offense from time to time. He has done that. In the beginning of the year he was trying to do too much. He was even hard on himself saying he needs to be better. As the season went on, he did. In the play ins he was our best D. I believe he is going to have a much better 2nd season with the rangers now that he is acclimated to the new team and players as well as settling in a new area to live. Saying pionk is better or similar to trouba is a terrible comparison. Neal pionk scares no one. Physically trouba and pionk are not in the same stratosphere. Trouba’s main job was to play against other teams top players, keep the crease clear, and move the puck. His size and ability to use his body keeps opposing players honest. Pionk doesn’t have that in his game at all. That’s what the rangers traded for. Pionk was a redundant player in the rangers system with DeAngelo here and the acquisition of fox. He is the worst of the three. The rangers want a big mobile defense. That’s what they have been drafting since the mcilrath disaster. Miller, Lundqvist, Schneider even skeji are all big mobile defensemen. Only Schneider has the nasty edge trouba has. He’s not a mid pair D-man. He is a good 1st pair defensemen that is in search of a good partner. He was very good when he played with lindgren for a short time and very good paired with smith which. Get him a solid partner and I bet everyone will change their tune on trouba. I’m hoping K’Andre can be that guy. Maybe Robertson who knows maybe DeAngelo or Lundqvist. What trouba provides is what the rangers needed. The trade was made at the time it was for various reasons stated in posts above. As far as jets fans trashing him, I remember posting Skeji and Miller for trouba trade years ago and I was laughed at. This was after skeji good rookie year. Jets fans loved him, things went sour after the contract dispute, but if trouba didn’t want out you can bet your bottom dollar Chevy would have signed him to a similar deal. Let’s give the guy 1 more year and a stable solid partner before all the Monday morning arm chair GM’s start bashing the contract and the trade. The deal ends when he’s 31 for god sakes not 37. He’s still growing as a player himself

111%.
prob not him but his contract esp term
+ exacerbated by the cap

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
You obviously have no idea on how trouba was used when he was a jet. Nothing you said was even close, and thinking skeji was or is some kind of gem is laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->