Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Am I gonna have to stop listening to all hockey discussion to avoid the shrapnel? I'm just peacefully listening to Overdrive, a freaking Toronto show, and bam.

Noodles: "You know who is a really fantastic player for them, is that Pionk. He terrorized McDavid and Draisaitl the other night, like physically. And he's not a big guy but he's got an edge to him. And he's a good player offensively. Trouba's had his struggles with the Rangers. And Trouba was a mean player to play against but Pionk is the new style mean, and he puts up numbers. He's got a bomb for a shot. He's a really nice player, very nice player."

Ray: "Don't forget too, about that trade, they got a first round pick, that Ville Heinola. He's a good young prospect. Pionk's making 3 million, Trouba's making 8"

MAKE IT STOP!

Definitely a trade that’s on a fast last lane to being a repressed memory for me. How many times now have the Rangers been absolutely swindled by players that had one or two good seasons? Both home grown and via Free agency

Reactions: Synergy27

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I can definitely get on board with thinking his contract is absolutely terrible, but to actively think we lost the trade? Hell nah.

I miss nothing about Neal Pionk and giving Winnipeg their first back wasn’t a big deal.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I can definitely get on board with thinking his contract is absolutely terrible, but to actively think we lost the trade? Hell nah.

I miss nothing about Neal Pionk and giving Winnipeg their first back wasn’t a big deal.
It could be a very big deal if McMichael becomes a top line center or even a 2nd line center for washington in 2 years.

Reactions: Off Sides

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It could be a very big deal if McMichael becomes a top line center or even a 2nd line center for washington in 2 years.
Who cares?

We might 10 guys in a draft. You guys gotta stop hyper focusing on the 207 that we don't.

There's no evidence at all that we take him with that pick anyway.

Reactions: romba

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Who cares?

We might 10 guys in a draft. You guys gotta stop hyper focusing on the 207 that we don't.

There's no evidence at all that we take him with that pick anyway.
Was in response to saying that pick wasn't a big deal. The fact is our center depth is not very good beyond the NHL level. Even at the NHL level it's becoming shaky. To say that pick isn't a big deal when someone like McMichael was there (not hindsight) would be false.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Was in response to saying that pick wasn't a big deal. The fact is our center depth is not very good beyond the NHL level. Even at the NHL level it's becoming shaky. To say that pick isn't a big deal when someone like McMichael was there (not hindsight) would be false.
You could go back to any pick and say it was a big deal because X player was there.

You wanna talk about a bad Rangers pick, fine. You can't take players we didn't pick or picks we didn't even make and say "well in my fantasy we have that player!"

It's the same thing with people talking about Stuztle. If we have that same pick 11,576 times, we take Lafreniere 11,576 times. Stuztle isn't relevant to the Rangers in any way.

Reactions: Peltz

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You could go back to any pick and say it was a big deal because X player was there.

You wanna talk about a bad Rangers pick, fine. You can't take players we didn't pick or picks we didn't even make and say "well in my fantasy we have that player!"
My response was to a post that that pick is not a big deal in regards to this trade. Not sure how that is true. Even if anyone has watched Heinola play they will see that kid is gonna be a stud. So yes that pick makes that trade more one sided unless Trouba can really become a consistent top 4 dman for most of his contract. He already has been pushed out of the number 1 spot by Fox which is not a bad thing overall but still we need him to be more of a consistent defensive presence. I already gave up on his offense.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think it's worth remembering assets traded away if for no other reason than to learn what to do in the future.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My response was to a post that that pick is not a big deal in regards to this trade. Not sure how that is true. Even if anyone has watched Heinola play they will see that kid is gonna be a stud. So yes that pick makes that trade more one sided unless Trouba can really become a consistent top 4 dman for most of his contract. He already has been pushed out of the number 1 spot by Fox which is not a bad thing overall but still we need him to be more of a consistent defensive presence. I already gave up on his offense.
Different players but I don't think Heinola is any better than Trouba. He's a decent prospect that we have five of.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Different players but I don't think Heinola is any better than Trouba. He's a decent prospect that we have five of.
I sure hope he’s not better than Trouba right now at the string bean age of 19/20 and hopefully Trouba doesn’t have any kind of a drop off in the next 4-5 years.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
if we drafted Heinola HF would bitch and moan that our D is too small lmao

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

McMichael, I agree that would have been a good pick for the Rangers.

Tomasino was my personal favorite, yet he may turn out to be a wing not a center.

Also did not have to necessarily be the Jets pick

Does Kreider bring back a pick in that range if not even a little earlier if he is traded at that deadline?

To me, and yes at the time, I would have not traded for Trouba, partially because it was obvious he was going to require a contract like the one he received in order to extend him, partially because they could have used that pick on some prospect who matched up in the timeline with the other prospects they were drafting. Also at he time I would have traded Kreider.

Then again that makes this current roster a lot younger, yet back-filling it with a couple more Blackwell, Rooney, Bitetto, PDG types in conjunction with guys like Hajek, Gauthier I think would have been just as effective.

Reactions: bl02

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It's the same thing with people talking about Stuztle. If we have that same pick 11,576 times, we take Lafreniere 11,576 times. Stuztle isn't relevant to the Rangers in any way.

The only reason why Stutzle is relevant to the Rangers is because he’s evidence that the pandemic and the mitigating circumstances it has caused aren’t the sole explanation for why Lafreniere is off to such a slow start.

This is the Trouba thread though right? Yeah Stutzle has no bearing on us paying Jeff Beukeboom 2.0 $8M/yr for a thousand years.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The only reason why Stutzle is relevant to the Rangers is because he’s evidence that the pandemic and the mitigating circumstances it has caused aren’t the sole explanation for why Lafreniere is off to such a slow start.

This is the Trouba thread though right? Yeah Stutzle has no bearing on us paying Jeff Beukeboom 2.0 $8M/yr for a thousand years.
Is that why somebody posts every time he scores? Because of the mitigating circumstances?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Is that why somebody posts every time he scores? Because of the mitigating circumstances?
I don’t think you’re referring to me, but as long as we remain in “waiting for Laf” mode, it’s natural that people are going to keep pointing at his peer that seems to have already arrived.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t think you’re referring to me, but as long as we remain in “waiting for Laf” mode, it’s natural that people are going to keep pointing at his peer that seems to have already arrived.
Not referring to you, no, but it's very tiresome.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The ad nauseum in the Lafreniere thread is not enough? We need to start to regurgitate the same things in other threads?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
That is because I highlighted the most important point. Regurgitation of a topic everywhere that you can drop it in.
That post was explaining why people care about Stutzle. It has nothing to do with Laf.

I had nothing to do with bringing either Stutzle or Laf to this thread. There’s barely enough room in here to discuss how much Trouba sucks as it is.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That post was explaining why people care about Stutzle. It has nothing to do with Laf.

I had nothing to do with bringing either Stutzle or Laf to this thread. There’s barely enough room in here to discuss how much Trouba sucks as it is.
But what do either have to do with Trouba?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do. But i need one who isn't a racist cancer. Do you know anyone who fits that bill?

I'm not trying to cause trouble nor stand up for TD but I do appreciate facts. Larry Brooks said the slur back in 2014 was at a white teammate and was not racial. Brooks said it was a ethnic slur. Which I still consider very bad. TD said he and the teammate remained friends afterwards. I'm curious does anyone actually know he said that was racist?

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad