Player Discussion Jacob Trouba

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
But you're not looking at apples to apples, other than we're talking about defensemen. Aho is a totally different story, too.
The point is how do you compete when a rival has three, at least, better D, than our "#1", all making less $.
That was the also the point of adding the Aho cap hit. Value wise, its not even in the same stratosphere.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
MORE.
As an example, look at the team the Rangers just played. They have 3, objectively, better D than Trouba, all making considerably less. Pesce and Slavin are locked up for years and Dougie, until 2022.

Just want to mention that Trouba's cap hit is only a few hundred thousand less than Sebastian Aho.
Hamilton's contract buys 1 UFA season, compared to 6 for Trouba. His next contract will be a better comparable. Aho's deal takes is for all his remaining RFA years. Pesce and Slavin are great deals, yeah, I wish the Rangers had those players signed to those deals. It's a lot easier to get players signed to team-friendly deals coming off their entry-level contracts, years out from unrestricted free agency. Skjei was our attempt at that. A+ effort.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The point is how do you compete when a rival has three, at least, better D, than our "#1", all making less $.
That was the also the point of adding the Aho cap hit. Value wise, its not even in the same stratosphere.
Because you need to look how and when they signed those contracts.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
MORE.
As an example, look at the team the Rangers just played. They have 3, objectively, better D than Trouba, all making considerably less. Pesce and Slavin are locked up for years and Dougie, until 2022.

Just want to mention that Trouba's cap hit is only a few hundred thousand less than Sebastian Aho.
These aren't good comparisons at all

Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton all have cap friendly hits because their teams inked them to long term deals before their ELC was even up. Trouba and Winnipeg dragged their feet on a long term deal because he didn't want to play there

And Carolina is going to have to pay Hamilton 8 million, if not more if they want to keep him in 12 months

The Rangers paid market rate for Trouba, which is fine if you don't agree with it. But comparing to those contracts is not even worth furthering the discussion

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The thought that GM's would be lining up for the same deal that the Rangers got from the Jets is laughable. IMO, it was a deal based on the organization getting impatient. They are in a rebuild. Why not give Ryan Graves the shot? He can do most of what Trouba can, without the kings ransom.
You do not think that any GM in the NHL would have jumped at that trade?

And wait...did you just really compare Ryan friggin' Graves to Trouba?

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I gotta be honest I wasn’t a big fan of the contract we gave him. I felt it was too much for a guy who is a real good but not top defensemen. Despite that he was easily the best Ranger against Carolina

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The cost that the Rangers are paying Trouba above what players like Slavin and Pesce are making are the premiums of not developing them. Hopefully in the future, they're on the right side of that for more players.
That's the point. The Rangers jumped the gun and signed a guy to a deal that he isn't worth instead of developing their own and/or acquiring a young, promising D on a fair deal that fits with their rebuild timeline.

You can spin it any way you like, but in no way is Trouba worth that contract. IMO, he is an average #2 D, at best. Those guys don't make $8M long term.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I gotta be honest I wasn’t a big fan of the contract we gave him. I felt it was too much for a guy who is a real good but not top defensemen. Despite that he was easily the best Ranger against Carolina
Did you skip games 1 and 2? Go back and watch. Some of his play is pure comedy.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
You do not think that any GM in the NHL would have jumped at that trade?

And wait...did you just really compare Ryan friggin' Graves to Trouba?
In the context of contracts, yes, I did compare the two.
Not sure if you missed the season Graves had with Colorado.
You guys are all such hockey savants, I thought you would have noticed.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
These aren't good comparisons at all

Slavin, Pesce and Hamilton all have cap friendly hits because their teams inked them to long term deals before their ELC was even up. Trouba and Winnipeg dragged their feet on a long term deal because he didn't want to play there

And Carolina is going to have to pay Hamilton 8 million, if not more if they want to keep him in 12 months

The Rangers paid market rate for Trouba, which is fine if you don't agree with it. But comparing to those contracts is not even worth furthering the discussion
So it was the Rangers job to overpay the guy because he didn't want to be in Winnipeg?
Hamilton may get that, but if it is $8m average, its a much better deal than we gave Trouba. I'm not so sure the Canes will overpay. As good as Dougie has been, he is their #2.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I would have kept Shattenkirk and passed on Trouba. Sure, we'd suck more but for the money and term Trouba got, he just isn't the type of player you want to make that commitment for.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I don't know why the Rangers would pay Trouba $8 million instead of paying a guy like Makar $880,000.
Your attempt at sarcasm aside, the Rangers are in the middle of a rebuild and have a bunch on promising young D (not Makar level) in the system. They jumped the gun and signed Trouba.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
That's the point. The Rangers jumped the gun and signed a guy to a deal that he isn't worth instead of developing their own and/or acquiring a young, promising D on a fair deal that fits with their rebuild timeline.

You can spin it any way you like, but in no way is Trouba worth that contract. IMO, he is an average #2 D, at best. Those guys don't make $8M long term.
In the last 10-12 years, have the Rangers even developed a defenseman other than what they had in that time frame? I guess Sauer counts and Del Zotto to an extent but it feels like they haven't drafted and developed a defenseman in years

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
In the last 10-12 years, have the Rangers even developed a defenseman other than what they had in that time frame? I guess Sauer counts and Del Zotto to an extent but it feels like they haven't drafted and developed a defenseman in years
When you continually make bad decisions in the draft, these things tend to happen.
They were smart to pay whatever it took to get Fox. They should have continued with that strategy instead of signing Trouba.

By now, its pretty obvious I'm not a fan. I thought he was highly over rated in Winnipeg. Seems as if they felt that way as well.
I hope this kid can develop a bit more and keep his game simple. That's the best we can hope for because his skill set is limited. He's not a dynamic skater or puck handler. He doesn't have the puck moving skills of top defensemen, hell, he's a best our third best PMD. On top of that, he seems a bit brain dead at times. Again, I hope the kid can improve and come close to earning his salary.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Graves did have a better season than Trouba, so there is that.
Are you kidding me? Sure, let's just blurt something out with no context whatsoever. Look at the supporting cast. Look at the time on ice. Look at the usage. Put Graves on this year's Rangers and give him Trouba's usage and he becomes another HF Board whipping boy.
Not sure if you missed the season Graves had with Colorado.
You guys are all such hockey savants, I thought you would have noticed.
See above comment. You are so extraordinarily observant. One would have thought you would have noticed.

If you asked every single NHL coach and GM as to who they would rather have, 100% of them would tell you Trouba.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's going to be hard for Trouba to live up to his 8M cap hit because he's unlikely to be the PPQB on the 1st PP unit, but if he plays like he did against Carolina, I will be fine with him. If he plays like he did during the regular season we are f***ed

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Are you kidding me? Sure, let's just blurt something out with no context whatsoever. Look at the supporting cast. Look at the time on ice. Look at the usage. Put Graves on this year's Rangers and give him Trouba's usage and he becomes another HF Board whipping boy.

See above comment. You are so extraordinarily observant. One would have thought you would have noticed.

If you asked every single NHL coach and GM as to who they would rather have, 100% of them would tell you Trouba.

Graves was top pair alongside Makar.
He put up 40 points. Played a couple of minutes less than Trouba/game.
The Avs organization had enough faith in the kid to put him out there on first pair.
Now, lets get to the good part. Trouba - $8M cap hit vs. Graves - $650K.
I am not stating and never did, that Graves is better. I am stating that the Rangers jumped the gun on the rebuild by signing Trouba.
HE ISN'T AN $8M PLAYER.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's going to be hard for Trouba to live up to his 8M cap hit because he's unlikely to be the PPQB on the 1st PP unit, but if he plays like he did against Carolina, I will be fine with him. If he plays like he did during the regular season we are f***ed

And there's a very good possibiliy we get healthy portions of both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad