Confirmed with Link: Jacob Trouba arbitration award (1 year, 5.5 AAV)

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He's also not incapable of doing anything else at all to earn an income after his hockey career is over. Even with his thus far "limited" earnings he's so deep into the 1% of the earnings category that if he lived modestly he wouldn't actually have to work ever again in his life. No one should think a hockey player should be entitled to retire at 30-35 years of age and never work again, least of all a hockey player.

I never said that. Trouba's time to earn money as a professional hockey player is limited. There's nothing wrong with him wanting to maximize those earnings.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I never said you weren't allowed to.

"A get away" from work that you then take as seriously than work. :eek:

If a co-worker wanted to maximize their earnings and ended up leaving the company to do it, would you get angry over it?

Considering the large amount of careers cut short due to injuries, you'd be a fool not to want to make as much as you can. He's not going to be doing this until he's 65.

Last I checked, he's still in a Jets uniform.
You can't compare professional athletes to typical working men and women.
Most people work primarily to earn enough to support themselves and their families--that's why they call it work. Their "get aways" are what make life worthwhile and pleasurable; pro athletes give them a chance to experience the joy of success vicariously and be proud of their home town/country. You just have to peruse the Laine threads to see that identification at its most....extreme, lol.
Trouba's situation has nothing whatsoever to do with a co-worker leaving to maximize his financial security--Jacob is already rich and, in fact, his actions to date have added a significant risk premium to his career earnings. What he has done is miss his chance to be a heroic figure for thousands of small kids, working stiffs and a proud city in order to pursue non-hockey goals. Hard not to feel a bit abandoned for those who are as heavily invested as I described.
I respect Trouba's right to choose his own path, but in doing so, there is an opportunity loss for him and for us. People are sad about that, and sad is often manifested as mad.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You can't compare professional athletes to typical working men and women.
Most people work primarily to earn enough to support themselves and their families--that's why they call it work. Their "get aways" are what make life worth pleasurable; pro athletes give them a chance to experience the joy of success vicariously and be proud of their home town/country. You just have to peruse the Laine threads to see that identification at its most....glorious, lol.
Trouba's situation has nothing whatsoever to do with a co-worker leaving to maximize his financial security--Jacob is already rich and, in fact, his actions to date have added a significant risk premium to his career earnings. He has missed his chance to be a heroic figure for thousands of small kids, working stiffs and a proud city in order to pursue non-hockey goals. Hard not to feel a bit abandoned by those who are invested the way I described.
I respect Trouba's right to choose his own path, but in doing so, there is an opportunity loss for him and for us. People are sad about that and sad is often manifested as mad.

They're not heroes. They're contracted professionals. Yes it's great if they're role models, and do work in the community, it's even better if they enjoy it. At the end of the day the NHL is a business.

I can understand people being upset, it's the petty vindictive stuff that boggles my mind, as if he's personally insulted people here. He's not Evander Kane-ing around Winnipeg as far as I know lol.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I never said that. Trouba's time to earn money as a professional hockey player is limited. There's nothing wrong with him wanting to maximize those earnings.
No there is nothing wrong with what he is doing every hockey player has the right to do the same as trouba. The fact that maybe 1% have done exact the same as trouba should tell you all he is doing is not normal even for a person trying to maximize his earnings. I could maybe understand it if he had McDavid talents but he is nothing special in any way as a player.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
No there is nothing wrong with what he is doing every hockey player has the right to do the same as trouba.

Agreed.

The fact that maybe 1% have done exact the same as trouba should tell you all he is doing is not normal even for a person trying to maximize his earnings.

Agr... Wait. :huh:

giphy.gif

So which is it?

Reactions: Romang67

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Agreed.

Agr... Wait. :huh:

giphy.gif

So which is it?
yes its morrissey's right too but he wont be sitting out till Christmas because he isn't a d-bag or stupid. the fact that trouba is the only player coming off his elc to sit out ask for trade only sign a bridge then go to arbitration and be going into his 6th year in league with still no long term contract says how stupid and how and how incredibly he over rates himself. I doubt its even 1% of the players that have ever chosen this path although all could have if they wanted.

Reactions: GNP and Tommigun

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
yes its morrissey's right too but he wont be sitting out till Christmas because he isn't a d-bag or stupid. the fact that trouba is the only player coming off his elc to sit out ask for trade only sign a bridge then go to arbitration and be going into his 6th year in league with still no long term contract says how stupid and how and how incredibly he over rates himself. I doubt its even 1% of the players that have ever chosen this path although all could have if they wanted.
He may be the only one the point still stands... it’s his right.
I don’t like it either as a fan but it’s his livelihood.
As a fan I take it personally because I’m an emotional creature & want him to be a part of the future here IF he WANTS to be here which the optics appear to indicate otherwise.

Reactions: DRC and CorgisPer60

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
He may be the only one the point still stands... it’s his right.
I don’t like it either as a fan but it’s his livelihood.
As a fan I take it personally because I’m an emotional creature & want him to be a part of the future here IF he WANTS to be here which the optics appear to indicate otherwise.

You’re a jacked up creature too. Lay off the cilantro

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
You mean 5' 9 " Krug?
He is making 5.25m and is an UFA when Trouba is, no thanks.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
You mean 5' 9 " Krug?

Yeah that 5’ 9” Krug whose last two seasons yielded 51 and 59 points. Say what you will but Jets would outscore their opponents even more with Krug. We have to move Trouba soon and Krug, a 1st and a prospect would be mighty fine I say.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yeah that 5’ 9” Krug whose last two seasons yielded 51 and 59 points. Say what you will but Jets would outscore their opponents even more with Krug. We have to move Trouba soon and Krug, a 1st and a prospect would be mighty fine I say.
It's not a bad thought, in that we have to stop expecting we are going to get another Trouba in trade for Trouba. We are not; it'll be a different package--not necessarily worse, just different.
IMO, Krug doesn't cut it primarily because he is 27 and will be gone in 2 years, and the 1st will likely be very low.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
A lot of hurt feelings here. Which I find kind of weird because it sure seems a fair number of fans side with the team over players. Everyone loves their players - until they don't play well, or sit out or ask for a trade or become a players rep and start making noise during a strike. Shut up and play seems to be the motto. Fair enough, people want a winning team and favorite players do not trump a cup. But if that's you as a fan, don't get all bent out of shape over what you think is disloyalty.

What, like Kane? And what were a lot of people saying when it was brought up that Trouba might want out years ago? It was something like, it doesn't matter - we own him, he isn't going anywhere. Yeah that sounds like people concerned for what a player wants.
I cheer for the Winnipeg Jets, not Jacob Trouba. If you're not with us, you're against us.

Same reason I don't follow multiple teams and stop watching the playoffs when the Jets are out. There is one team, and 30 enemies. I love hockey but I satisfy that love by playing it.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
we have enough offense from the back end already. What we need is another defenseman that doesn't care about points that only cares about keeping the puck out of the net.

Reactions: ocdaddy

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He's also not incapable of doing anything else at all to earn an income after his hockey career is over. Even with his thus far "limited" earnings he's so deep into the 1% of the earnings category that if he lived modestly he wouldn't actually have to work ever again in his life. No one should think a hockey player should be entitled to retire at 30-35 years of age and never work again, least of all a hockey player.
Haha seriously!

Some people think hockey players are doing God's work or something. Sheesh.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So what about Krug? He’s rumored to be tradeable and I think he’d fit well with the Jets. Although he’s got a modified NTC and Jets may well be on the list.

Edit: Oh wow, https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/trouba-to-boston-for-krug-prospect-and-draft-pick.2218651/ claims Boston offered Krug, a first-round pick and a prospect for Trouba. I’d take that in a heartbeat.

This is a great and fair offer. Chevy has to pull the trigger on something like this.

You mean 5' 9 " Krug?

Have you see his stats? lol

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am considering getting tickets to a Canucks home game against the Jets this season and going to Vancouver just to boo this man. Hopefully Chevy moves him before the season starts and saves us all the trouble.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Jets can't let a valuable RFA get out this easy, sets a bad precedent for the team and league. He will be dealt next off season. I could also see a scenario where we make a cup run again and keep him for another year after that to chase the cup.

Reactions: Saintb

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
This is a great and fair offer. Chevy has to pull the trigger on something like this.

Have you see his stats? lol
Chevy had to pull the trigger not has to. I'm sure that offer is long gone. It was made 2 years ago when trouba had 4 years till being a ufa and when gm's didn't know trouba wanted way more then he is worth. Also don't forget that was b4 they drafted McAvoy. Trouba would be 2nd pairing rd going forward for Boston. 7 million is a lot to pay for a 2nd pairing dman. Should have done it 2 years ago cause trouba was never signing here.

Reactions: Tommigun

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I am considering getting tickets to a Canucks home game against the Jets this season and going to Vancouver just to boo this man. Hopefully Chevy moves him before the season starts and saves us all the trouble.

The silliest of takes, to me. Who on earth would buy tickets to see the Canucks?

Seriously though, booing him is a bit strong.

Reactions: jetsforever

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Personally, I would never spend that much money on boos. :D

Reactions: voyageur

Ares

May 8, 2018
Chevy dodged the question when asked if he views Trouba as a long-term Jet:

"There’s been lot of different discussions that we’ve had with his group. The way this year worked out, with a one-year deal, I think it’s going to be beneficial to both sides."

Lets just hope this situation with Trouba won't be a distraction. He's one hell of a player but if he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't want to be here.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy dodged the question when asked if he views Trouba as a long-term Jet:

"There’s been lot of different discussions that we’ve had with his group. The way this year worked out, with a one-year deal, I think it’s going to be beneficial to both sides."

Lets just hope this situation with Trouba won't be a distraction. He's one hell of a player but if he doesn't want to be here, he doesn't want to be here.
I also think you could interpret this as an indication that having Trouba at 5.5 instead of 7+ million gives them a stronger roster for this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad