Confirmed with Link: Jacob Trouba arbitration award (1 year, 5.5 AAV)

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Win now with Trouba. If they get a bit less in futures for him after this season, so be it. The Jets are serious contenders now.

after all that has gone on with trouba, sitting out, refusing to negotiate, he has chosen the fastest path he could to free agency.

he has also left millions on the table that could of been insured money had he agreed to a contract.

now you are prepared to put your trust in this player?

I do not believe the trouba will put his health or the future ufa contact he has been going for at risk.

I would rather have a player that wanted to be here and prove his worth, than a player ho has done nothing but look for an exit door

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Why that crap? You don't know anything about what is going on behind the scenes. What if Trouba wants to play for the Jets, but the most important person of his life just hates living in Winnipeg and forces him to move into Florida?

Don't know about you or Jacob, but when I was 24 year old, my most important person by far was a woman that was not my mom. More than ten years later, she still is.

According to her Twitter account, Kelly Tyson lives in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I would not enjoy my time in Winnipeg too much if my girl lived in Florida.

I was the same age as Trouba just 3 years ago. At 23 I moved to another country where I knew no one and had no family, part of moving involved moving on from the person I was seeing because it made the most sense for me career wise. My point is not to say Trouba should make all his decisions on those factors, it is merely to refute your anecdote which you presented as only reasonable thing in that scenario.

This is all besides the point, most people who are upset at this situation have been mostly triggered by how poorly Trouba has handled this entire thing. Players come and go all the time, no one got too upset at them when Stastny and Frolik moved on from the team, nor were people mad at Andrew Ladd who moved on as a UFA (except the most crazy). The hard feelings (atleast in my and probably in most people's situations) stems almost entirely from how Trouba has handled this. Starting off with refusing to sign 2 years ago, demanding a trade publicly and then taking the arbitration award this season to set himself up for UFA.

Here's how he could have handled it and achieve virtually the same result without upsetting the fans- the Jets offered him a 5 or 6 year contract worth 5.5 million per year, 2 years ago. Sign for 5 years with that money and then privately request a trade from Chevy. This allows Chevy to have a stronger position in trade negotiations and increases the odds of the trade. Best case, signed long term he is traded, worst cast he achieves the same outcome as he is going to now just hits UFA a year later and has an extra ~5million in the bank (not to mention the peace of mind of not having his livelyhood cut off if he had a bad injury during that period). It's a win win situation for everyone.

On the other hand what Trouba did was show the fans that he wanted out so bad that he was willing to leave money and security on the table just to be able to get out of playing for this team as soon as possible. Which imo, is why he's getting all this shit. The way this was handled by the Trouba camp is quite possibly the worst way they could have handled it.

(This part is not directed at you) Please spare us the sanctimony of this being his "right". We recognize that, it is also the right of the fans to feel disrespected by the player. At the end of the day, emotional decisions made by the fans like spending $10k per person on season tickets is what makes these guys millionaires and the fans are well within their rights to be upset at the actions of a player without feeling patronized by some.

Last edited:

Lars65

Useless Git
Sep 6, 2011
Winnipeg
The only problem with the over the top butthurt is that it is all based on rumours and assumptions. For all we know, Trouba is just trying to get to UFA status as soon as possible, and would be employing the same tactics no matter the team. Having lived in Winnipeg a long time, I will say the insecurity around the place is laughable. People can choose to do there own thing, it's not always a slight to the community.

Reactions: Jedub

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
after all that has gone on with trouba, sitting out, refusing to negotiate, he has chosen the fastest path he could to free agency.

he has also left millions on the table that could of been insured money had he agreed to a contract.

I do not believe the trouba will put his health or the future ufa contact he has been going for at risk.

I would rather have a player that wanted to be here and prove his worth, than a player ho has done nothing but look for an exit door

The Jets are captained by a player who didn't sign with the team that drafted him, and went elsewhere as a UFA. A route that Trouba could've taken if he was desperate not to play in Winnipeg.

I don't doubt Trouba will play well this season.

Reactions: bumblebeeman

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The Jets are captained by a player who didn't sign with the team that drafted him, and went elsewhere as a UFA. A route that Trouba could've taken if he was desperate not to play in Winnipeg.

I don't doubt Trouba will play well this season.

Injuries?

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Well I for one am not too surprised of the outcome. The organization has been shooting itself in the foot with Trouba for such a long time that the outcome was nearly inevitable. The misuse by forcing him to play off -side, being paired up with Stuart (typical Maurice) then more recently the team forcing his hand to sign a 6m extension (3m/year) for a player that should have been earning closer to 6m alone from last year already. Toying with a player you'd want to keep but who's had his foot on the door is never very good asset management. Recently he seemed to change his mind but of course (as anyone would), he wanted a long-term contract + some payback for the lost earnings from 16-17 & 17-18. The Jets couldn't afford that anymore and now the clock is ticking and they're not likely to get anything back that'd be equal to his value. At least now he is finally making the type of $ he is worthy of.

Cannot really blame Trouba for this, or at least not him alone. The team shares the blame equally and that's just a pity. Oh well I suppose there's always the option of extending good old ancient Buff when the time arrives!

If you think Trouba was happy/content with the 3m/y bridge he had left on the table and had a smile on his face when he signed that then by all means fine. I just don't agree with that, cause well why would I? Lets think about this for a minute. Trouba had already left trade request a long-time ago and I suppose the team had tried to move him for another equally good and young RHD, but of course that never happened (maybe they didn't get the offers they liked or whatnot). Trouba tried to stall with his contract cause he wanted out. I'd imagine there was a bigger bridge contract on the table at the time but he didn't take it. After he had missed a proportion of the 16-17 he could find that rubbish deal of 3m AAV left on the table for him and the man had no options but to sign it (in order to get closer to UFA/freedom). Team's best shutdown D is worth only 3m / year right? No. They pretty clearly lowballed him but again, of course I don't have anything concrete to show for that but common sense.

You're basically stating that people or in this case players are not allowed or are incapable of changing their minds. I'm sure Trouba saw this team was turning in as a contender and no longer felt such a rush to head out of the gates. After all, later on this year he informed that he wanted to stay and the only obstacle I could see in a way of that is him wanting compensation from the wasted salary from the past two years. Also if you don't feel or believe he was misused regardless of himself stating unhappiness then I don't know what else to say to that. I googled about these conflicts and found articles of him feeling unhappy with him being forced to play off-wing for instance. I didn't really bother with the rest but I'd bet you could find more like being paired up with Stuart and not ever really given a proper offensive role in the team.

I don't believe Trouba here alone is to blame. The organization has their own share of guilt for not trying hard enough to keep him.

Pure fiction Kelsier. This is a really uninformed synopsis of the actual situation, IMO; with the bolded pieces being the most egregious of this entire condemnation of TNSE. A truly 'priceless' piece of literature. To each their own.

Reactions: ffh and scelaton

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

You're just angry, which is your right, but there absolutely no reason to believe Trouba won't play hard and well for the Jets this season.
As I've said before here, the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. Trouba (and his peeps) have wanted him to play in the US for years, but he always played his heart out on the ice and has never had a problem in the dressing room. None of that will change this season. People need to stop worrying about shipping him out ASAP and start looking for the best deal possible, whenever that happens.

Say What

Jan 18, 2015
The Winnipeg Jets have on numerous occasions, publicly stated Jacob's value to the team and the Organization. To suggest that attempts weren't made, that would reflect and support the level of team commitment that was publicly stated, is IMO, completely unrealistic. Having said that, a player invoking his rights under the current CBA is part of any negotiation process, and more so, is the realistically expected action in dealing with the business side of hockey. What a player is ultimately trying to achieve through their counsel, varies significantly, when one fully explores the limits of the bargaining agreement.

I personally believe Jacob Trouba accepting less money for his RFA years, than what would've been offered by TNSE (and less than his market comparable peers) is a somewhat clear indication of his intentions. I've stated it numerous times, for me, this isn't about dollars; it's about term. Jacob Trouba is viewed by the Organization (TNSE) as a Top-Pairing defenseman. His apparent unwillingness to negotiate a contract that would identify and reflect that designation league-wide, is obviously a personal choice; made for personal reasons.

It's undeniable that Jacob has been given an enormous role with this team. He has been treated as an integral part of the core group. IMO, players that refuse to embrace their place within a unified group, are doing so by choice, and not because of some perceived undervaluing, ill-treatment, or unappreciation by the Winnipeg Hockey Club.

I think it's fair to say that, not every negotiation: trade, signing/re-signing, or otherwise, will have a satisfactory outcome for all parties involved. Such is life. The business side of hockey is surely not for the faint of heart. However, in my opinion, options are always available. You collectively follow a plan; make the optimal choices, and succinctly move forward. Business as usual, is a constantly changing environment.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Pure fiction Kelsier. This is a really uninformed synopsis of the actual situation, IMO; with the bolded pieces being the most egregious of this entire condemnation of TNSE. A truly 'priceless' piece of literature. To each their own.

Erm, if you were underpaid would you be entirely happy about your contract of employment or employer in general? Cause I sure as hell would not be. In fact most people would not be. Whether or not he was still biting his teeth over the earlier 3m/y salary (when he should have made quite a bit more) I really don't know, but people don't tend to forget that easy and there certainly was no real reason whatsover to lowball Trouba despite of him stalling with the contract coming into the 16-17. Yeah Chevy got to display his awesome power there and use the leverage he had over him due the NHL contract regulations and leave Trouba collecting whatever bits there were left on the table as he didn't really have any real alternative, but like I said, today it could be biting back right at the organization. Human beings tend to take money related issues seriously. If you think that's fiction then by all means do just that. Also lets keep in mind Jacob had requested a trade a long time before that already and they had not traded him away anyway, so it's not like it's his fault. He didn't sign the contract before the start of 16-17 because he didn't want to stay here. After last season he had seemed to change his mind, but the Jets were still unable to sign him. Strange isn't it? Since you seem to know what's fiction and what's not, then why don't you elaborate why exactly Trouba turned down the long-term contract from the Jets?

If he felt misplaced, misused and eventually got lowballed, and the team refused (or didn't work hard enough) to trade him despite the fact that he had requested a move elsewhere it's pretty hard to find reasons to hate or dislike him.

Say What

Jan 18, 2015
The amount of confusion in this thread is astounding. Some posters suggesting that the Jets were offering Trouba 4 million per year need to think about things for a minute or two! This award goes against the grain for sure. There is no question that Trouba is worth the 5.5 per year on a deal with term but, the trend for years has not been to pay players for a one year deal what their comps are getting, especially when their comps sold UFA years.

That's not how the system works. Jacob Trouba is a well established entity. Therefore, Jacob Trouba's RFA years, long-term or not, would be valued at around precisely what he will now receive ($5.5M). That was based on his comparable members within the Players' Association; discussed by both parties.

Showing that comparable players outperformed their contracts, is a bad strategy in any negotiation ( and the examples are extensive). Case in point, Jacob just outperformed his most recent 2 year contract (as an RFA). The Arbitrator is looking for a 'true' value of the player; not a 'bargain' value based on the player not signing long term, and/or approaching UFA Status. IMO, it's an evaluation that any organization that feels as highly about an asset, as TNSE does about Mr. Trouba; would eagerly accept, as valid.

The filing/ruling, though unfortunate, was not a shock to either side. In my opinion, if Jacob had considered a long-term contract, he would've received as much as $6.7 Million (that is his ceiling in Winnipeg, IMO) for his remaining RFA years; depending on how he'd want to structure it, and what clauses/concessions would be important to him (6.7/6.7/6.7/6.7/6.7/6.7).

I believe the firm number allocated to Jacob Trouba to remain with the Winnipeg Jets long-term (6 year contract) was, in and around, $40 Million. I'll state it again, I don't believe the dollars are the issue; unless 8.4% wouldn't yet be the level of commitment he is seeking. Based on the unavoidable Arbitration Ruling, Jacob 'presumably' turned down 5.5/5.5/7.3/7.3/7.3/7.3 = $40.2 Million; and UFA Status at age 30.

As it pertains to negotiations, I believe term is the part of 'market value' that can skew a contract's worth (potential vs projection); for either side. To me, it's not conceivable that Jacob Trouba wouldn't have been offered market value; if that was his sole intention.. And yes, my perception is probably different than most; I can live with that (it's a forum).

Teams offer certain players, market value; these players, often value certain markets (it's not exclusive to the Unrestricted/July 1st type Agents). To each their own.

Reactions: ps241

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Injuries?

Injuries to who? Wheeler chose not to sign with the team who drafted him, an option afforded to NCAA players in the CBA. If Trouba didn't want to play in Winnipeg all along, he could've stayed at Michigan for 4 years and done the same thing.

I think his agent is trying to get him a payday. He plays well this year, there is incentive to sign him long term and buy as many UFA years as possible. He would be discounted right now due to injuries the past couple of seasons.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's not how the system works. Jacob Trouba is a well established entity. Therefore, Jacob Trouba's RFA years, long-term or not, would be valued at around precisely what he will now receive ($5.5M). That was based on his comparable members within the Players' Association; discussed by both parties.

Showing that comparable players outperformed their contracts, is a bad strategy in any negotiation ( and the examples are extensive). Case in point, Jacob just outperformed his most recent 2 year contract (as an RFA). The Arbitrator is looking for a 'true' value of the player; not a 'bargain' value based on the player not signing long term, and/or approaching UFA Status. IMO, it's an evaluation that any organization that feels as highly about an asset, as TNSE does about Mr. Trouba; would eagerly accept, as valid.

The filing/ruling, though unfortunate, was not a shock to either side. In my opinion, if Jacob had considered a long-term contract, he would've received as much as $6.7 Million (that is his ceiling in Winnipeg, IMO) for his remaining RFA years; depending on how he'd want to structure it, and what clauses/concessions would be important to him (6.7/6.7/6.7/6.7/6.7/6.7).

I believe the firm number allocated to Jacob Trouba to remain with the Winnipeg Jets long-term (6 year contract) was, in and around, $40 Million. I'll state it again, I don't believe the dollars are the issue; unless 8.4% wouldn't yet be the level of commitment he is seeking. Based on the unavoidable Arbitration Ruling, Jacob 'presumably' turned down 5.5/5.5/7.3/7.3/7.3/7.3 = $40.2 Million; and UFA Status at age 30.

As it pertains to negotiations, I believe term is the part of 'market value' that can skew a contract's worth (potential vs projection); for either side. To me, it's not conceivable that Jacob Trouba wouldn't have been offered market value; if that was his sole intention.. And yes, my perception is probably different than most; I can live with that (it's a forum).

Teams offer certain players, market value; these players, often value certain markets (it's not exclusive to the Unrestricted/July 1st type Agents). To each their own.

Very eloquently stated.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
If he doesn't want to play for the jets, then trade him before it turns into another Evander Kane situation.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
(This part is not directed at you) Please spare us the sanctimony of this being his "right". We recognize that, it is also the right of the fans to feel disrespected by the player. At the end of the day, emotional decisions made by the fans like spending $10k per person on season tickets is what makes these guys millionaires and the fans are well within their rights to be upset at the actions of a player without feeling patronized by some.

Spot f***ing on. :thumbu:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Injuries to who? Wheeler chose not to sign with the team who drafted him, an option afforded to NCAA players in the CBA. If Trouba didn't want to play in Winnipeg all along, he could've stayed at Michigan for 4 years and done the same thing.

I think his agent is trying to get him a payday. He plays well this year, there is incentive to sign him long term and buy as many UFA years as possible. He would be discounted right now due to injuries the past couple of seasons.
so why go through arbitration to get a 1 year prove it RFA deal? it is anything but amicable. Helle got his 1 year RFA prove it deal and a big deal after

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg

Maybe a payday from another team.... But I think his intentions to not want to stay with the Jets has been made loud and clear.... I am okay with playing out this year with him if it doesnt cause issues in the room.... Only the team knows that

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
so why go through arbitration to get a 1 year prove it RFA deal? it is anything but amicable. Helle got his 1 year RFA prove it deal and a big deal after

My guess is the Jets didn't want to bridge and Trouba thought he could get more if he had a good season this year.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Sadly I am unable to read it

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Lol I read “I doubt Trouba will play well” you wrote “”I DON’T Doubt Trouba will play well”.

Funny how one word makes all the difference. I now agree with you “I don’t doubt he will play well” either.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
My guess is the Jets didn't want to bridge and Trouba thought he could get more if he had a good season this year.
The Jets are in a lose/lose if Trouba wanted a bridge.

If the Jets don't give him one, he goes through arbitration and gets one automatically.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Part of me believes Jacob wants to be here but perhaps wants to be overpaid to be here. A strong part of me believes he lacks balls and his dad has a big say in all this. Of all the guys drafted by the Jets, Jacob looked the least happy... Altho he looked like he was holding back.. His dad looked pissed tho. Compare that to Scheif 44 27 29 etc.. Its night and day.. I believe 8 wants to be here but i believe 8s dad doesn't want him to be so unless 8 grows a set, i believe you need to move him ASAP . why? What if he does get injured? What if he sulks? Im not saying he will but all it takes is 1 bad apple to ruin the bunch .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad