Jacob Tortora Saga

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Anyone else find it incredibly sketchy that Barrie claims him defected so they get a compensation 1st round pick then a year and a half later he says okay I'll come to the OHL but only for the team who I wouldn't go to before....? If you claim a player defected, you shouldn't be allowed to re-acquire that player after you cashed in on the extra 1st round pick you got because he wouldn't come....

Imagine if London did that lol, certain people on here would be burning the website down

CarriageRider

Jun 7, 2018
Agreed. If reacquired maybe forfeit a first if he returns within two years, a second after 2 years ?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Tortora reports and plays an OA season, they'll give up two 2nds and a third.

So if that happens, when it's all said and done, the entire deal is:

To Kitchener: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.

To Barrie: 1st (McBain), cond 5th, 15th.

It may be sketchy. But not really as lucrative a transaction as it may seem - for the Colts anyway. For the last pick in the first round, a 5th and 15th, Barrie had to give up two seconds and a third. Not everyone would do that deal.

For the Rangers on the other hand, to get two seconds and a third for a 5th and 15th? Every team does that deal every day the week and twice on Sunday.

I'd say Barrie breaks even but a big win for the Rangers in this transaction.

However, don't be surprised if there is some rule brought in in this off-season to avert something like this happening in the future.

ie - once you've been awarded a compensation pick for a defective player, that player can never wind up back on your roster in the future unless he clears waivers.

Reactions: Tarantula

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
If Tortora reports and plays an OA season, they'll give up two 2nds and a third.

So if that happens, when it's all said and done, the entire deal is:

To Kitchener: 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.

To Barrie: 1st (McBain), cond 5th, 15th.

It may be sketchy. But not really as lucrative a transaction as it may seem - for the Colts anyway. For the last pick in the first round, a 5th and 15th, Barrie had to give up two seconds and a third. Not everyone would do that deal.

For the Rangers on the other hand, to get two seconds and a third for a 5th and 15th? Every team does that deal every day the week and twice on Sunday.

I'd say Barrie breaks even but a big win for the Rangers in this transaction.

However, don't be surprised if there is some rule brought in in this off-season to avert something like this happening in the future.

ie - once you've been awarded a compensation pick for a defective player, that player can never wind up back on your roster in the future unless he clears waivers.

I’d say Barrie does better than break even. They got an extra first round pick out of the deal. I sure hope the league implements a rule against this. It smells really foul.

Reactions: rangersblues

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Agreed. If reacquired maybe forfeit a first if he returns within two years, a second after 2 years ?

Exactly, needs to be something. Otherwise if I'm going into a rebuild I just phone up a GM in the other conference and say hey I'll flip you a 2nd to do me a favour here and trade me conditionals that'll never be met for this player and in 1-2 years I'll give you back those same conditionals. then I get my comp 1st and when I'm ready to win now, I have my initial player who I took in the 1st round. Seems like a massive loophole

Btw, I'm not saying that's what Barrie did here, because they clearly didn't (with their comp pick they took Jack McBain, who also didn't come) but I'm saying it's possible someone could do this, which needs to be amended in the rules

Reactions: Finster8

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I edited my post to include the two years of Tortora in Barrie - which sort of blows my argument that Barrie breaks even in the deal out of the water!

So it really looks like both Barrie and Kitchener make off like bandits once the dust settles.

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Between awarding Memorial Cup bids for ridiculous amounts of money and shady deals like this, I've been part of better run rotisserie league's. That will likely get commissioner for life david branch elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame some day.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Between awarding Memorial Cup bids for ridiculous amounts of money and shady deals like this, I've been part of better run rotisserie league's. That will likely get commissioner for life david branch elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame some day.

Shhh! Don’t put the commish in a bad spot. These two part deals are working in favour of the Rangers.

rolf smitty

May 20, 2013
Anyone else find it incredibly sketchy that Barrie claims him defected so they get a compensation 1st round pick then a year and a half later he says okay I'll come to the OHL but only for the team who I wouldn't go to before....? If you claim a player defected, you shouldn't be allowed to re-acquire that player after you cashed in on the extra 1st round pick you got because he wouldn't come....

Imagine if London did that lol, certain people on here would be burning the website down
the league has rules, and then it has rules for London. the 2 are mutually exclusive.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
If the player that refused to report then reports to the team that benefited from him not reporting they should have to give back whatever they gained originally. If it is a first rounder they should have to forfeit their next first round pick?

I agree with the OP it doesn’t pass the smell test?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
If the player that refused to report then reports to the team that benefited from him not reporting they should have to give back whatever they gained originally. If it is a first rounder they should have to forfeit their next first round pick?

I agree with the OP it doesn’t pass the smell test?

I totally agree that it's very shady. However, league rules currently state there's only a 12-month waiting period on re-acquiring a player. Perhaps it's as simple as extending that to 24 or 36 months or putting a special clause in related to defected players.

I have always hated the defected player rule. I understand the need for it, but the compensatory 1st rounder just punishes the 18 other teams who weren't involved in any way. I think the selling team should have the option of the pick and the player goes back in the next draft or they can trade his rights for a haul. But not both.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I totally agree that it's very shady. However, league rules currently state there's only a 12-month waiting period on re-acquiring a player. Perhaps it's as simple as extending that to 24 or 36 months or putting a special clause in related to defected players.

Um, 13 month rule. Big difference.

the league has rules, and then it has rules for London. the 2 are mutually exclusive.
OOOOOOOOO..the hatred is strong in this one.

This is what I hope happens....Tortora lands in London at the trade deadline just as Gruden and Vlasic are signing their OHL player agreements.

This place will IMPLODE

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I don’t really see anything fishy about it, the player played his 16 year old season with the USNTDP, Barrie chose to consider him a defective player and took the compensation for him. He then played his 17 year old season with the USNTDP and his 18 year old season with Boston College.. it’s pretty clear that he was a defective player and Barrie was in the right to consider him that.

Now things obviously didn’t work out for him at BC or else he’d still be there but it isn’t like they considered him to be a defective player, got the 1st round pick and then he magically reappeared with Barrie after they already got the compensation the next season. He spent 3 full seasons not in the league, was clearly committed to that route then had a change of heart. Maybe there needs to be a tweak to the rules to deter something that actually is fishy from happening in the future but I don’t smell it here. This is simply a case of a player going one route, having it not work out and then for whatever reason deciding that he wanted to come to the OHL and play for Barrie.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Watched him live one game great speed scored a nice goal rObbbed another time only Barrie player that impressed me last Friday night in Niagara.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don’t really see anything fishy about it, the player played his 16 year old season with the USNTDP, Barrie chose to consider him a defective player and took the compensation for him. He then played his 17 year old season with the USNTDP and his 18 year old season with Boston College.. it’s pretty clear that he was a defective player and Barrie was in the right to consider him that.

Now things obviously didn’t work out for him at BC or else he’d still be there but it isn’t like they considered him to be a defective player, got the 1st round pick and then he magically reappeared with Barrie after they already got the compensation the next season. He spent 3 full seasons not in the league, was clearly committed to that route then had a change of heart. Maybe there needs to be a tweak to the rules to deter something that actually is fishy from happening in the future but I don’t smell it here. This is simply a case of a player going one route, having it not work out and then for whatever reason deciding that he wanted to come to the OHL and play for Barrie.

Without going back and looking into every defective player situation, this may be the only one (of the players who eventually played in the league) where the player involved did not report to the team who drafted him because either a) he wanted to play for another particular team, or b) he refused to play for the team that drafted him.

Had Tortora's primary goal been to play for the team of his choice or to avoid playing in Barrie, he'd have been in this league long before now.

It's obvious his primary goal was to go the NCAA route period , not to manipulate the draft.

Reactions: Dodospice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad