Value of: Jacob Silfverberg to the Leafs

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Current playoff teams:

NYI: unlikely to trade 1st for winger, C/D much more pressing need
WSH: unlikely to trade 1st for winger, forward group already stacked
CBJ: more likely to sell Panarin than to trade a potentially mid-1st for a winger
TBL: no 1st to trade
TOR: no 1st to trade
BOS: just traded a 1st for Nash, might trade a 1st again
MTL: not trading a 1st
PIT: just traded a 2nd, traded a 1st last year.
WPG: looks like their priorities are Duchene/Stone, doubt they move a 1st for Silf unless they strike out on both
NSH: already moved a 2nd, first pick last year was in the 4th round.
STL: unlikely to have 1st available this year, recently moved 1sts
CGY: maybe? 1st for an improvement on the 3rd line is pretty steep.
SJS: already moved the next 2 firsts
VGK: traded 1st last year, have 2 better RWs already
DAL: probably the best fit, questionable playoff team though.
MIN: Fenton might be stripping the team down, unlikely to add a 3rd line winger for a 1st.

So we have Boston, Calgary and Dallas in a realistic position to consider giving up a 1st, maybe Winnipeg if they strike out on the big game they're hunting.

You have to assume that all of those teams strike out on the other wingers in this TDL class and still want to spend their 1st.

It's not impossible, just looks a lot more likely that Anaheim settles for a 2nd + prospect they like.
Honestly the 1sts being off the table for a lot of teams may be beneficial for Anaheim.... we could end up with a better prospect then we planned on. I do think Silf has a strong market tho and I think a lot of teams will ask about him. Great 2nd/3rd liner and penalty killer. And would help some teams out with their match up lines. Boston/Predators/flames seem like the best fits for me... but a lot depends on if either is willing to pay the price for stone/duechene/pannarin. I think the fact that he can play both wings might give him a few extra suitors also.

Boston- Silf is a boston style player... they have a lot of decent prospects. When you look at their division they are prob the weakest out of tampa/Toronto and them, they'll make a move.
Nashville- idk what they can offer , but silf does seem like a player that would fit into their game plan/style well... might feel a lil pressure to make a move to compete with jets
Flames- Added depth... they are a good team but I think they need to make a decent add to their forward depth if they want to compete with teams like Preds/Jets

HM:
Sharks- another team that might want to add another top 9 player, to compete with the other top teams in the west.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Should be noted 13 goals and 21 points through 48 games. You can spin that anyway you want, but those numbers are not getting you a 1st.

Well here’s your spin:

The Ducks have been a dumpster fire this season so all their stats are down.

Silfverberg is a two-way playoff warrior that contenders should covet.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

You know what’s funny about your post? Is you have nothing to explain your end of the argument. Until you come to a discussion? I wouldn’t post anymore. Just a thought. That’s so juvenile acting like HFBoards is twitter.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
You know what’s funny about your post? Is you have nothing to explain your end of the argument. Until you come to a discussion? I wouldn’t post anymore. Just a thought. That’s so juvenile acting like HFBoards is twitter.

You demanded a first and I'm the juvenile one? Get a grip. He's a good player that isn't a need on our team but a luxury, if we called we'd offer up a combination of B or C level prospects and non 1st round picks. Ducks obviously would not be interested in it because I'm sure they can find a sucker to give them a conditional first or late first, or a really solid A- B level prospect and that's it. But we aren't the trade partner for you we can't afford to give up another 1st round pick because not only did we just trade one, the ones we have kept we are putting people in the mf show.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I'd respectfully pass from the Leafs perspective. I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Marleau or Hyman and I'd rather keep our first or prospects, unless its for a difference maker come playoff time.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Silfverberg is a world class defensive winger who has spent his whole career in Anaheim on shutdown lines.

If he were to be put on a scoring line he could do some real damage.

Amazing wrister.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
I'd argue he's exactly the type of winger the Leafs should be getting for a playoff run. Experienced two-way winger, excellent past playoff performance, can play PP and PK, great shut-down player with the additional potential to be an offensive difference maker in the playoffs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'd respectfully pass from the Leafs perspective. I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Marleau or Hyman and I'd rather keep our first or prospects, unless its for a difference maker come playoff time.

I don't think he gets a 1st or any teams top prospects, not in a market that has Panarin, Duchene, Stone, Hoffman, Simmonds, Nyquist, Ferland Dizingel, Hayes, Zuccarello,etc on the block and that's just what we know is available

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Im not sur which club couldhave an interest, bu Silf is probably the best add someone can have. He's a fantastic player in playoffs

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Im not sur which club couldhave an interest, bu Silf is probably the best add someone can have. He's a fantastic player in playoffs

That’s why he’s worth a first. Guy has been extremely good this season with the Ducks circumstances.. And has shown it carrying over in the playoffs over the years.

Someone will give a first as we get closer to deadline this week.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

He's undoubtedly a better player than both. Whether it makes sense to pay the price is a different discussion, but I really don't think there's any debating that Silf is a more effective player at this point.

Also there are very few players out there who have proven to be more of a "difference maker come playoff time"...41 points in his last 44 playoff games while playing top defensive minutes.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
That’s why he’s worth a first. Guy has been extremely good this season with the Ducks circumstances.. And has shown it carrying over in the playoffs over the years.

Someone will give a first as we get closer to deadline this week.

It will depend of the market. I feel there is a lot of sellers for few 1st picks availablem but I feel Silfverberg could maybe bring one

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Leafs don't have a 1st rounder to trade. a 2nd + a prospect wouldn't work cause they overvalue their prospects as if each one is a 100% lock to exceed their ceiling so they would only offer a mediocre prospect we don't need.

Mr Papagoergyo

Feb 17, 2019
Can't see dubas giving up much more, we're good just not that good yet.

Are team reminds me of Tampa 2-3 years ago, we just need to keep building from within, then we can trade off for position of need.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
It will depend of the market. I feel there is a lot of sellers for few 1st picks availablem but I feel Silfverberg could maybe bring one

I have Boston looking at Silfverberg once names start dropping off the UFA trade boards.

Kakko the bust

Hughes > Kakko ALL DAY, everyday
Nov 6, 2017
The only better players are Duchene, Stone and Panarin. And i have a feeling they'll go for way more than a 1st. Nyquist and Dizingel are having career years by riding a hot streak. Im not sure they'll keep it up until the playoffs are over.

That's a stupid argument, man.
Why the f are we even talking about Montreal? A team like Montreal has zero chances to win the cup, and one forward won't change that. Right now, you're just throwing **** against the wall to see what sticks.

Nyquist has always been around the 45-55 point mark. Yes, this year, he’s on pace for 60 plus but still it’s not a hot streak like you think.

He’s definitely worth a first to some teams but in my mind(as a wings fan) I’d take a 2nd+Solid prospect or 3rd+Good prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad