Value of: Jacob Silfverberg to the Leafs

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
If you are inquiring about Silf and you are not happy with the price, the Ducks just keep Silf.

You know, it's not like the Honda Center blows up if he's still a Duck at the end of the season.

Reactions: Spazkat

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I know Leaf fans want to focus on the D, and I get it, they do need another D man, but I still think they need another forward especially on the LW

Silfverberg would be a fit, what would he cost Toronto?
Would be a poor use of assets for TO.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
2nd + 4th or a 2nd + prospect. Lots of wingers available this year and only a few that will get a 1st. Players like Stone and Panarin will get 1st but not someone like Silverberg. It will be a buyers market for wingers....

ayrton2388

May 23, 2014
With guys like Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Simmonds, Nyquist, Dizingel, Zuccarello Ferland etc all on the trade market and that's just who we know is available, you think Silfverberg gets a 1st? I don't know about that
we haven't even mentioned the defense market

The only better players are Duchene, Stone and Panarin. And i have a feeling they'll go for way more than a 1st. Nyquist and Dizingel are having career years by riding a hot streak. Im not sure they'll keep it up until the playoffs are over.

That's the thing they aren't all going for a 1st+ Not every playoff team is willing to trade futures, Montreal has already said they won't, other playoff teams don't have a 1st this year theee is more supply than demand

That's a stupid argument, man.
Why the f are we even talking about Montreal? A team like Montreal has zero chances to win the cup, and one forward won't change that. Right now, you're just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Brian ****ing Boyle got a 2nd, I’m pretty sure if he fetches a 2nd, we can get a 1st
2 things....Boyle is a center, and just the optics of 1st or 2nd are telling....teams really don't cough up 1sts easily, but give 2nds away like candy. The Leafs, for the past few years refused to move 1sts...but in back to back years, had no issue trading a 2nd for a 4th line C (Boyle/Turtleneck).

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
What Ducks fan don’t realize is that when TML fans make proposals they are gawd awful and each of your players are worth all that and a bag of Doritos.

On any team that production would be middle 6 and on a SC contender that is third liner and he is a pure rental. We need something more. Rather overpay for Ritchie who has term and potentially some upside.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So 4 years is relevant but 5 is not, gotcha.
I don't really feel like doing this argument, but here we go. The reason why people start at last 4 years, is because that 5th year silfverberg was still new to the team/system/league and hadn't really found his calling at an nhl level. Coaching couldn't figure out how to get more out of him, the potential was there but they were still figuring out where he fit into the puzzle. The next year he developed into a more shutdown winger, but founds way to chip in offensively while being a force in all 3 zones and on the PK.

The team found they can trust silfverberg in a lot of key situations, and rewarded him with mins/tougher matchups and he excelled at it. Notice his playoff ice time difference from that 5th year till that 4th year.
2014: 14:56
2015: 19.06

To me that says the coaches heavily relied on silf to be a constant/safe option, and he rewarded the team by becoming a scoring threat in the playoffs. It is what it is, the market is pretty flooded right now so I do think silfs value goes down a bit... but to say hes not worth a 1st is wrong, hes def worth a 1st.... will he get a 1st this year prob not. And finding the need to add that 5th year is cool, but it was more or less still a developmental year and he was not nearly the player he became the season after, that's why you go 4 years back not 5. Either way add those 2 points in 13 games, his #s are still very good in the playoffs for a guy that matches up against the other teams best forwards/pks on a nightly basis.

Did the math for you, even if you want to include that 5th year. Still a shut down winger/who kills penalties while scoring at a 60 point pace(22 goals).

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
The guy has a career high 49 point season and his 2nd best was 40 points. I see no way he gets a 1st because on a SC contending team he is a 2nd or 3rd line forward.

Keep in mind he has played most of his career with Cogliano and Kesler on a shutdown line and has not had extensive looks with Getz/Rakell/Kase and other offensive players.

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
2 things....Boyle is a center, and just the optics of 1st or 2nd are telling....teams really don't cough up 1sts easily, but give 2nds away like candy. The Leafs, for the past few years refused to move 1sts...but in back to back years, had no issue trading a 2nd for a 4th line C (Boyle/Turtleneck).
I get that he’s a center, so he brings extra value, but I feel so would Silf with his past playoff performances

Edit: Typo

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I don't know if the Leafs have any interest, but Silfverberg is an enticing "buy low" option for teams. Like most Ducks his numbers this year aren't reflective of his skill level.

He's one of those shrewd last-minute deals before the deadline that ends up getting 15+ points in the playoffs and helping his new team on a serious run. If I'm a playoff-bound GM looking for forward depth and the Ducks price reflects a lack of interest elsewhere, in a heartbeat.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is likely overkill on offense.....Cant see the Leafs doing this ,they need a gritty forward and or a defender..Before another top 9 skilled guy

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
What these leaf fans don’t understand? Is when a team is trading its leading goal scorer away. That means lost revenue, that means less ticket sales, lost season ticket renewals, lost income.

That counts for value for the franchise. If you’re taking Silfverberg away? That means ducks are officially tanking with its leader in goals in a trade.

And GMs understand that value. These guys apparently don’t.
Ducks arnt selling tickets for the likes of Silfverberg...... Leading Scorer lmao. whatever he's got 13 goals and 21 points.
He's nothing special..... and prob not a leading goal scorer for any other franchise. Anaheim is a dumpster fire. sell now. and good luck getting a 1st. honestly he's not worth it anymore. I dont care what his Playoff numbers look like. there are many many many other options u would sell your 1st + more to acquire.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
What exactly is a "random prospect"? Youd rather have a late 1st over a more established prospect like Sandin? Am I the only one who finds this crazy? It's the mystery box mentality.
While we do well at drafting there is also an age factor to consider. We are on the cusp of having a large number of prospects graduate to NHL duty. We need to repace them in the pipeline to keep a flow going. Unless its a prospect our scouts really like A la Noesen in the Ryan deal then the picks make more sense

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
What these leaf fans don’t understand? Is when a team is trading its leading goal scorer away. That means lost revenue, that means less ticket sales, lost season ticket renewals, lost income.

That counts for value for the franchise. If you’re taking Silfverberg away? That means ducks are officially tanking with its leader in goals in a trade.

And GMs understand that value. These guys apparently don’t.
This is an absurd post not focused in reality. No one is going to our games to watch Silf score.

Reactions: Not So Mighty

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Should be noted 13 goals and 21 points through 48 games. You can spin that anyway you want, but those numbers are not getting you a 1st.
Nearly PPG in 44 playoff games. That's the spin and that will get us a first from a playoff team a month away from the playoffs.

This is an absurd post not focused in reality. No one is going to our games to watch Silf score.

Except for maybe that "Ooh aah Silfverberg" chanting section in the 400s.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Current playoff teams:

NYI: unlikely to trade 1st for winger, C/D much more pressing need
WSH: unlikely to trade 1st for winger, forward group already stacked
CBJ: more likely to sell Panarin than to trade a potentially mid-1st for a winger
TBL: no 1st to trade
TOR: no 1st to trade
BOS: just traded a 1st for Nash, might trade a 1st again
MTL: not trading a 1st
PIT: just traded a 2nd, traded a 1st last year.
WPG: looks like their priorities are Duchene/Stone, doubt they move a 1st for Silf unless they strike out on both
NSH: already moved a 2nd, first pick last year was in the 4th round.
STL: unlikely to have 1st available this year, recently moved 1sts
CGY: maybe? 1st for an improvement on the 3rd line is pretty steep.
SJS: already moved the next 2 firsts
VGK: traded 1st last year, have 2 better RWs already
DAL: probably the best fit, questionable playoff team though.
MIN: Fenton might be stripping the team down, unlikely to add a 3rd line winger for a 1st.

So we have Boston, Calgary and Dallas in a realistic position to consider giving up a 1st, maybe Winnipeg if they strike out on the big game they're hunting.

You have to assume that all of those teams strike out on the other wingers in this TDL class and still want to spend their 1st.

It's not impossible, just looks a lot more likely that Anaheim settles for a 2nd + prospect they like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad