Jacob Markstrom - Not Impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Don't bring me into this LOL.

My thoughts are not a secret. From a learning perspective, Markstrom won't learn anything new in the AHL. That said, there some benefits to sending Markstrom down. Number one is from the business side. If Markstrom isn't clearly outperforming Clemm, then the money saved by sending Markstrom down is sufficient enough to justify it. Number two, Markstrom will come to San Antonio and be "The Man" for the Rampage. He will play probably 3 out of every 4 games. It's actually in his and the team's best interest to have him play a starter's schedule as opposed to playing maybe one out of four games in the NHL.

This stint in the AHL probably won't fix his deficiencies as a goalie. But maybe it can serve as a wake up call that the status quo isn't good enough.

This. Plus another added benefit is that he'll get some confidence back.

Jan 19, 2006
I think Markstrom has disappointed and sending him back to the AHL is the right move.

Having said that, his failure this season is largely an indictment of the Panthers development and coaching and the team in front of him rather than his talent level or his character.

Panthers have taken a talented, confident young goaltender and broken him.

So yes, Markstrom has bombed this season. But if the Panthers had drafted Lehner and the Senators drafted Markstrom, we'd most likely still be wondering why our guy (Lehner) wasn't playing as well as that young stud (Markstrom) in Ottawa.

I'll mirror the sentiment of others when I say that even if Tallas is working for free, the Panthers should have included him in the recent purge. Markstrom has clearly regressed under his watch.

Last edited:

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
I'm glad we are sending Markstrom down. He needs to earn his spot on the roster. I'm not saying he's played horrible, but he hasn't played starter worthy. At least he can get some playing time while he is down in San Antonio instead of sitting on the bench. (While Thomas is in net)

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I think Markstrom has disappointed and sending him back to the AHL is the right move.

Having said that, his failure this season is largely an indictment of the Panthers development and coaching and the team in front of him rather than his talent level or his character.

Panthers have taken a talented, confident young goaltender and broken him.

So yes, Markstrom has bombed this season. But if the Panthers had drafted Lehner and the Senators drafted Markstrom, we'd most likely still be wondering why our guy (Lehner) wasn't playing as well as that young stud (Markstrom) in Ottawa.

I'll mirror the sentiment of others when I say that even if Tallas is working for free, the Panthers should have included him in the recent purge. Markstrom has clearly regressed under his watch.

Agree and am amazed that Tallas has a job.

Will add that a 39 yo frequently injured Thomas playing 26 hours after his last game speaks all you'd want to know about the confidence the new coach and this franchise has in Clemmer as an NHL B/u.

Tuco

Jul 30, 2007
Agree and am amazed that Tallas has a job.

Will add that a 39 yo frequently injured Thomas playing 26 hours after his last game speaks all you'd want to know about the confidence the new coach and this franchise has in Clemmer as an NHL B/u.

If someone's working for free on this level, he can't be very good at what he does.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
If someone's working for free on this level, he can't be very good at what he does.

Not necessarily, he was just a career backup that didn't make such a name for himself.

He tutors at savology, being tied to the Cats only helps gain local business...

Tuco

Jul 30, 2007
Not necessarily, he was just a career backup that didn't make such a name for himself.

He tutors at savology, being tied to the Cats only helps gain local business...

Ok, just seems odd to me that that's the best we can do. That's all.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
The lack of emphasis on a goalie coach for Markstrom is definitely a bit worrisome and definitely a bit stupid.

Hockeycast

Aug 31, 2011
Finland

I don't even know what to say so I'll just leave that up to you :laugh:

On a more serious note: I still think Marky will develop into a #1 NHL-goaltender but I don't think he'll be a top-10 goalie in the league.

Last edited:

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Markstrom doing real well on a low budget canucks this season. He is playing behind an unimpressive defense.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Markstrom doing real well on a low budget canucks this season. He is playing behind an unimpressive defense.

Yeah, the Canucks took his coaching seriously. He always had the ability to be good, he was just such a raw talent and the Panthers completely dropped the ball.

I wasn't fan of sending him to Vancouver in the Luongo deal because he could have been salvaged if the Panthers weren't dumb as hell and the timing would have worked out perfectly with Luongo's play taking a dump this year.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
Yeah, the Canucks took his coaching seriously. He always had the ability to be good, he was just such a raw talent and the Panthers completely dropped the ball.

I wasn't fan of sending him to Vancouver in the Luongo deal because he could have been salvaged if the Panthers weren't dumb as hell and the timing would have worked out perfectly with Luongo's play taking a dump this year.

Hes average but not that good, dont regret trading him one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad