Jacob Markstrom - Not Impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erick*

Thanks for making my point!

Since neither are better right now , who wouldn't rather have our rookie over the lifetime backup?

The proof is in the demotion? Seriously, learn the business of Hockey...who has the 2 way contract? Whose cheaper to send down? proof...jeez.

Uh, if that were the case, Clemmer wouldn't have started the year in the AHL. The reason why Jacob Markstrom is in the AHL is because he's been outplayed. This has nothing to do with the business.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
This is pathetic.

Clemmer was one of the main reasons we made the playoffs that year.
I don't even like Clemmer, but we've definitely suffered more with Markstrom in net. Don't be ridiculous.

Clemmer as a Panther: 34-33-18
Markstrom: 11-24-5

My statement is factual unless you enjoy losing at a higher rate.

The fact that we're comparing the two shows just how disappointing Markstrom has been.
We made it to the playoffs in spite of Clemmer. Would've clinched weeks ahead if it weren't for his signature 5 minute goals or general incompetentce in the SO. Plus we have a vet who knows about winning on the roster, much rather have him in Marky's ear rather than Clemm who had nothing left to learn up here.

Erick*

Nate, share with us based on you having seen Marky more than 40 games unlike the rest of us what you believe Marky will achieve being set down.

Why does this matter?

Even if Markstrom has nothing to prove in the AHL, he is not ready for the NHL. He's also not going to get much playing time here. The NHL isn't a developmental league. He needs to work on his game.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Uh, if that were the case, Clemmer wouldn't have started the year in the AHL. The reason why Jacob Markstrom is in the AHL is because he's been outplayed. This has nothing to do with the business.

OMG dude do you remember clemmer started injured and thats why he started in the AHL???

Erick*

We made it to the playoffs in spite of Clemmer. Would've clinched weeks ahead if it weren't for his signature 5 minute goals or general incompetentce in the SO. Plus we have a vet who knows about winning on the roster, much rather have him in Marky's ear rather than Clemm who had nothing left to learn up here.

Nope, wrong.
Clemmer went 14-6-6 that year and actually outplayed Theodore down the stretch. If he were 23 years old, I'm sure everybody would love him. Clemmer is a career backup, sure. But give him some credit for the good thing that he did just as you would for any other player. This is the problem with this board. People pick favorites and the favorites are usually the young guys -- even if those young guys have proven nothing.

Erick*

OMG dude do you remember clemmer started injured and thats why he started in the AHL???

That had nothing to do with it. If it were strictly business, the team would've never put Clemmer on waivers. Markstrom made the roster and lost his spot on the roster because he played poorly. It's time for him to go down to the AHL and work on some things.

Erick*

Nor is it a retirement beer league, where would you play clemmer?

Clemmer is a backup goaltender in the NHL. There are plenty of backups like him. Why would you want Markstrom to be a backup anyway? He should be playing and gaining confidence.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Thanks.

Erick*

your name Nate?

No, it was just a silly question. Every time this is brought up, you ask Nate the same question. Who cares if he played well in the AHL? He hasn't played well in the NHL. So now he goes back. Maybe he'll be better when he comes back.

Erick*

You treat Scott Clemmensen like a slave.

Clemmer has a bad game: "OMG worst goalie ever. 5-hole!"
Clemmer has a good game: "Not shocking for the team to play better for the backup."

Markstrom has a bad game: "It's ok Marky; he just needs to see NHL shots!"
Markstrom has a good game: (which is like two games for his career): "Haha what a stud, **** off Clemmer!"

Erick*

When Markstrom plays poorly, it's on the defense.

When Clemmensen plays poorly, it's on Clemmensen.

We have really high standards for our "stud" goalie.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
No, it was just a silly question. Every time this is brought up, you ask Nate the same question. Who cares if he played well in the AHL? He hasn't played well in the NHL. So now he goes back. Maybe he'll be better when he comes back.

then don't answer it, especially if its not addressed to you.

I rather have marky play 20 -25 games backing up learning.

You rather watch clemmer 25 times.

We are going around in circles.

We are done here.

Last edited:

CatscratchFever

#CatsAreComing
Dec 11, 2002
O-hi-O
Visit site
Nope, wrong.
Clemmer went 14-6-6 that year and actually outplayed Theodore down the stretch. If he were 23 years old, I'm sure everybody would love him. Clemmer is a career backup, sure. But give him some credit for the good thing that he did just as you would for any other player. This is the problem with this board. People pick favorites and the favorites are usually the young guys -- even if those young guys have proven nothing.

This is the exact basis for Hockey's Future board. Potential>proven production. Always.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Sry AG, he is kinda right. As long as Timmy is here, we'd much rather him see some time. We don't have all that many back to backs left. As if he goes down again, we'll see Marky again.

To squash another point before it comes up, a goalie doesn't get half as much out of a practice that a player or forward does. Both levels will keep to strength and conditioning training. Game situation experience is all, and watching is NOT learning IMO.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Don't bring me into this LOL.

My thoughts are not a secret. From a learning perspective, Markstrom won't learn anything new in the AHL. That said, there some benefits to sending Markstrom down. Number one is from the business side. If Markstrom isn't clearly outperforming Clemm, then the money saved by sending Markstrom down is sufficient enough to justify it. Number two, Markstrom will come to San Antonio and be "The Man" for the Rampage. He will play probably 3 out of every 4 games. It's actually in his and the team's best interest to have him play a starter's schedule as opposed to playing maybe one out of four games in the NHL.

This stint in the AHL probably won't fix his deficiencies as a goalie. But maybe it can serve as a wake up call that the status quo isn't good enough.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
We made it to the playoffs in spite of Clemmer.

I really don't want to get into a completely irrelevant argument here, but what? Theodore almost cost us the playoffs 2 years ago with his poor play down the stretch, not Clemmer. Theodore's last 7 games in 2012- 0-3-4 Clemmer- 4-2-1. And if you remember, in game 82 vs Carolina, though the team had clinched, they had to win to secure 3rd overall. Who did KD choose to start that game?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

My thoughts are not a secret. From a learning perspective, Markstrom won't learn anything new in the AHL. That said, there some benefits to sending Markstrom down. Number one is from the business side. If Markstrom isn't clearly outperforming Clemm, then the money saved by sending Markstrom down is sufficient enough to justify it. Number two, Markstrom will come to San Antonio and be "The Man" for the Rampage. He will play probably 3 out of every 4 games. It's actually in his and the team's best interest to have him play a starter's schedule as opposed to playing maybe one out of four games in the NHL.

This stint in the AHL probably won't fix his deficiencies as a goalie. But maybe it can serve as a wake up call that the status quo isn't good enough.

I know, my name ain't Nate either LMAO!!!

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida

Glad to have you, always rely on resident experts! you've seen him more than us, you blog on the team, respect your opinion.

tried to explain the business point to no end.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
Sry AG, he is kinda right. As long as Timmy is here, we'd much rather him see some time. We don't have all that many back to backs left. As if he goes down again, we'll see Marky again.

To squash another point before it comes up, a goalie doesn't get half as much out of a practice that a player or forward does. Both levels will keep to strength and conditioning training. Game situation experience is all, and watching is NOT learning IMO.

We shall see. Need to get someone to SA to work with him.

I hope the schedule & Timmy's legs permits much Thomas time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad