Jacob Markstrom 49 save shutout win on Sedin night

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If he played for a big market team he would definitely be in Vezina talks. But, he plays on the Canucks and doesn't get as much media exposure and not much narrative from sports journalists.

He has excellent advanced stats, but as the only goalie stats that seem to count - where an unscreened flubber from the blueline has as much chance of being a goal as a breakaway - he won't get many votes.

Not many goalies in this league has as tough of an enviroment to perform as the Canucks. Other examples are Chicago and the Rangers.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
If he played for a big market team he would definitely be in Vezina talks. But, he plays on the Canucks and doesn't get as much media exposure and not much narrative from sports journalists.

He has excellent advanced stats, but as the only goalie stats that seem to count - where an unscreened flubber from the blueline has as much chance of being a goal as a breakaway - he won't get many votes.

Not many goalies in this league has as tough of an enviroment to perform as the Canucks. Other examples are Chicago and the Rangers.
Huh?

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
He's come up big for Vancouver, but he's got a .915 SV% and a GAA somewhere around 2.85. Vezina talk is a little premature.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I remember him being filthy in HUT way back in NHL 13 or 14. He played great last night

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He's been carrying this team for over a month now sooo badly, reminiscent of Varly carrying the Avs to the playoffs with the support of the big guns (in this case Van relying heavily on EP, Hughes, Miller).

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Should definitely be a top 3 Vezina candidate, but he probably won't be because his sv % is 'only' .918 and that is pretty much all that matters despite the fact sv% is an ATROCIOUS way of judging how good a goalie is because its treats an unscreened blob shot from the Blueline by Jordie Benn the same as an Ovechkin 1 timer from 14 feet on the power play, pretty much all of his advanced numbers are elite & he faces the 2nd most shots in the league.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That's awesome! Why didn't things work out in Florida for him?

This might not be the main reason, but Markstrom did say he needed to forget all the bad habits he was taught in Florida. I think Florida's goalie coach was a big issue for Markstrom.

Reactions: NYR94

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
To answer that thread about whether the "are the Canucks for real?"

The answer is Jacob Markstrom is

FabulousHotAmericanlobster-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I’m terrible w advanced stats

Does anyone have a link to a site that shows goaltenders performance vs high quality scoring chances?

For me, that’s where markstrom has been absolutely incredible this year, stealing points despite the nucks being outplayed for large portions of many games

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Finally living up to the hype and as an oilers fan you hate to see it. As a hockey fan love it, remember him being touted as the next big Scandinavian Tender as a teenager

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->