Jacob de la Rose best among 2014-15 Montreal Canadiens prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
</p>
jeremy_gregoire_baie_comeau_021515.jpg
Photo: Jeremy Gregoire raised his game in the QMJHL playoffs, scoring 21 points through 12 games. (Courtesy of Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Montreal’s diverse pool of prospects participated in professional and amateur leagues throughout Europe and North America in 2014-15. Several, such as Mike McCarron, flashed glimpses of their potential while others, like Magnus Nygren, regressed.

*The Hamilton Bulldogs’ bid for a berth in the Calder Cup playoffs came up short. Despite a breakout season from Charles Hudon and strong contributions from others such as Gabriel Dumont, Sven Andrighetto, and Daniel Carr, Head Coach Sylvain Lefebvre was unable to inspire his squad to elevate their play in crucial games late in the regular season.… read more

The post Jacob de la Rose best among 2014-15 Montreal Canadiens prospects appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So so so excited about Grégoire. This guy will be a Hab for a long time, mark my words.

He's a poor skater. Until he figures that out, he will be an average 4th liner.

Everything else about him is great though.

NoNachoNoParty

Dec 8, 2011
Montreal
He's a poor skater. Until he figures that out, he will be an average 4th liner.

Everything else about him is great though.

If the only thing holding him bqck is skating, then i'm even less worried. He's a worker, and a very smart kid too, i'm betting everything he knows exactly what he needs to do to make it. Ill admit i never noticed that about him. What is it you think he needs to improve precisely ?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If the only thing holding him bqck is skating, then i'm even less worried. He's a worker, and a very smart kid too, i'm betting everything he knows exactly what he needs to do to make it. Ill admit i never noticed that about him. What is it you think he needs to improve precisely ?

I think he's certainly limited offensively in the pros. He has the smarts and drive to be a 3rd liner. He needs to improve his overall skating to do so. Everything including acceleration and top speed.

What helps him is that he's an intelligent player and can anticipate better than a great skater like Bournival.

I think a realistic expectation is to have a player similar to Gregory Campbell.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Care to add some context? I haven't read the article yet and am curious to know what you two are referring to.

"Hardest Shot: Christian Thomas, RW, Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL)

If this title were awarded to the prospect with the most impressive reading on the radar gun, it would probably go to Magnus Nygren. However, a hard shot is only effective if it can reach the net in game situations."

If the writer isn't choosing based on hardest shot, then don't call the category hardest shot...

"Breakout Player for 2015-16: Tim Bozon, LW, Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL)

As the hardest worker in Montreal’s 2015 prospect pool, it has been outlined how Bozon battled back from meningococcus. It is an indication of his underlying skill that he was able to replicate his previous season’s production with the Kootenay Ice in the WHL. He tallied 35 goals and 28 assists in 2014-15, a nearly identical pace to his 2013-14 output."

Loved that Bozon came back to his pre-disease production, but how can you be the breakout player if you're playing in the same league and get the same results? Unless everyone else declined...

"Underachiever: Magnus Nygren, D, Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL)

With great physical tools at his disposal, Nygren probably could have cracked the NHL simply by showing up and paying his dues. He has not been able to stay on the ice. In 2013-14, he walked off the job in Hamilton and returned to Europe. This season, he missed huge chunks of time with injuries.

Nygren is an excellent puck distributor on the back-end and wields a deadly slapshot. His right shot makes him a rare commodity, although the Canadiens seem to have a bumper crop of righties on their defensive corps. Nygren is an example of how ‘games played’ is the most important, yet most overlooked of all statistics."

Again, the text is not wrong, but how can you call the guy underachiever when he barely played, and still got 0.66PPG? Most disappointing season? Maybe....

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
That's not true. Scherbak is our best prospect. Another example of how "2 way" players are massively overrated on this site.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Really? I have found DLR lackluster at best after a relatively decent start. He has shown virtually no offensive spark nor instinct, cannot win a faceoff to save his life and basically invisible beyond his own zone. Granted, I believe he's always been billed a defensive forward, but even that aspect of his game, while good, isn't exactly warranting high praise.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh because he's looked downright bad the entire playoffs, but still.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
I am a huge fan of DLR but Hudon should be ahead of him. Hudon is also reliable defensively but in terms of offensive IQ he is light-years ahead. I especially like his shots arsenal.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Hard to win faceoffs on the wing......

He has been good but not as noticeable away from center. I don't think he will be a big point producer but he definitely has the potential to be an elite "shutdown" forward who will chip in enough offence to keep opponents honest. Love his makeup and believe that he can be an important piece to a perennial contender.

As for the article........trash. Some foolish points have already been mentioned but I'll have to throw in the ridiculous comment about Hudon being in the conversation as one of our fastestt prospects. If Hudon was fast he would be an elite prospect but it happens to be a well documented weakness in his game.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Really? I have found DLR lackluster at best after a relatively decent start. He has shown virtually no offensive spark nor instinct, cannot win a faceoff to save his life and basically invisible beyond his own zone. Granted, I believe he's always been billed a defensive forward, but even that aspect of his game, while good, isn't exactly warranting high praise.

Perhaps I'm being too harsh because he's looked downright bad the entire playoffs, but still.

He's played a lot of hockey this year. Hamilton, WJC, Montreal and now playoffs. A stark contrast to playing in Sweden. Especially the physical style on smaller ice. It has taken a toll on the young kid.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I don't think DLR is the best among our prospects, ok he's in the NHL at 19, but he was already polished defensively while being a great skater and the size. Hasn't made any major strides, his offensive skills are still limited (Therrien won't be the coach to teach him how to develop them though, and I have absolutely no faith in Dan Lacroix or whatever his name is), and he's not playing his natural position, so it doesn't help in any ways.

Hudon should be the one mentionned, with McCarron not very far behind. (a project who, season after season, only gets better ?)

And on DLR case, unless he suddenly gets better offensively (which is still a possibility), I wouldn't mind if he became some kind of elite shutdown center, kind of a bigger Kris Draper/Sami Pahlsson impact, I know those are not necessarily sexy names, but they were great defensive centers, unless he makes a Trevor Linden/Bobby Holik of himself... (I can dream, right ?)

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
What does it take for Daniel Carr to get some recognition?

Will he have to become the leading goal scorer for the Bulldogs?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
What does it take for Daniel Carr to get some recognition?

Will he have to become the leading goal scorer for the Bulldogs?

Not be the third or fourth best forward on our AHL team despite being 3-4 years older than most of our prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad